voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Sorting through the various track I have gathered in over the last few years in preparation to starting my railway I find I have a fair quantity of brass curves that appear to be a very similar radius to LGB R1 but has thinner sleepers. Although there is no maker's mark I thought I had identified it as Bachmann however Googling "Bachmann G curve brass" shows pictures of curves with 11 sleepers however mine have 14. Did Bachmann change the spec of their brass G track? I note that the rail size, fishplates and rail height mean they mate up to LGB perfectly. I should say that underneath all they say is "Made in China".

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My guess would be Aristocraft track??
Does it have regular marks on the side of the rail, where it has passed through the bending machine?

Aristo ties/sleepers are darker in colour, a smaller section, and are a more uniform 'square-enged' shape than LGB.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Rule of thumb... 11 sleepers. 1:22.5 scale. 14 sleepers, 1:29 scale.
Or in other designations, Euro, and USA.

Made in China, who would ever have thought.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'd also think Aristo "US" style track.... is the brass very yellowish, and are the rail end webs and joiners drilled for the little securing screws?

Jon.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for all that. It does appear to be Aristocraft as they match up with all those photos in the eBay listing.

Paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorting through the various track I have gathered in over the last few years in preparation to starting my railway I find I have a fair quantity of brass curves that appear to be a very similar radius to LGB R1 but has thinner sleepers. Although there is no maker's mark I thought I had identified it as Bachmann however Googling "Bachmann G curve brass" shows pictures of curves with 11 sleepers however mine have 14. Did Bachmann change the spec of their brass G track? I note that the rail size, fishplates and rail height mean they mate up to LGB perfectly. I should say that underneath all they say is "Made in China".

Paul
I would not worry over much, justtry keep the relavent sorts together if you can. After a while it will tarnish nicely outside though if indeed it is Aristo it will take a long time for the yellow to tarnish off completely. If it offends give it a light spray over with matt black rattle can and clean the rail heads immediately.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for all that. It does appear to be Aristocraft as they match up with all those photos in the eBay listing.

Paul
Aristocraft made two types of 45mm track - one for the European narrow gauge, where the sleeper size and spacing was virtually identical to LGB (except black in colour) and the other for the US mainline standard gauge where the sleepers are thinner and more closely spaced. I have some turnouts with the latter sleeper spacing, one of which used to annoy me (because it was different and theoretically wrong) on the old WWSR, but I hardly notice them now on the WWNR :tmi::tmi: