SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
A little video I done for my YouTube Channel, as I had a few people ask how I prepare my Live Steam Locomotives.

A short tutorial on How to Prepare a Live Steam Locomotive for operation on your Garden Railway. The Model Featured in this video is an Accucraft "Caradoc" 0-4-0T (Fitted with Radio Control), which is a pretty standard Live Steam Locomotive to prepare, though other locomotive may require a different technique. Be sure to read the instructions included with your model, and always be careful when handing Gas, Naked Flames or the Locomotive while at operational temperature. Hope you enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done! I always tell newbies to live steam to use cotton gloves once the engine is hot. However I dont as I need that tactile feel to hold things thanks to being autistic. Gloves make it very hard for me to hold and handle stuff. So I also add that getting your fingers burnt is part of joining the "Burnt Finger Brigade" of live steam. When our group sets up at public events to run live steam. This process gets shown several times during the event. We stop everything and walk the group thru the proces of taking a cold engine all the way to running under steam power. Thanks for posting!!! Mike

Reactions: 1 user
24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It is always a good plan to make sure the radio works before doing anything else. There is nothing more frustrating than having a loco blowing its nuts off but not going anywhere because of a radio fault, and then being too hot to fix. Been there, done that, several times...

Reactions: 1 users

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
It is always a good plan to make sure the radio works before doing anything else. There is nothing more frustrating than having a loco blowing its nuts off but not going anywhere because of a radio fault, and then being too hot to fix. Been there, done that, several times...
Yes, found that out on one of my first run? The Controls had seemed to of reversed some how, it was uncontrollable. Lucky after a few minutes I found I had the wrong setting on the controller :D

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Nicely done! I always tell newbies to live steam to use cotton gloves once the engine is hot. However I dont as I need that tactile feel to hold things thanks to being autistic. Gloves make it very hard for me to hold and handle stuff. So I also add that getting your fingers burnt is part of joining the "Burnt Finger Brigade" of live steam. When our group sets up at public events to run live steam. This process gets shown several times during the event. We stop everything and walk the group thru the proces of taking a cold engine all the way to running under steam power. Thanks for posting!!! Mike
Thanks ever so much Mike! Oh yes, I think I'm in the same club! Funny enough I done it today! :rofl:

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
good vid,,, just getting into the old live steam so its good to get as many tips as possible.....

Reactions: 1 user