How to increase chuff rate on LGB 65000 sound module

chasaitch

chasaitch
17 Feb 2016
Banburyshire OX155LF
Best answers
Country flag
There are several people in your neck of the woods, Dunnyrail above on this thread for one, who might be able to help with the CV problem. There are a lot of us who have embraced Massoth kit so there is a bit of 2nd hand MTS, look for a 55015 controller. I tend to shop at GRS, check their website they usually have a lot of 2nd hand kit for sale. I have found playing with the electronics great fun and can spend ours in the Fat Controllers office when the weather precludes running bollocksing everything, but eventually it get sorted!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have access to a very large 45mm gauge track at our Mereside facility, but they wouldn't be very happy for me to go futzing around with their wirement, which basically track/Train Engineer and live steam/battery. I'm not 'in' to LGB stuff, either, and the WP Mike was a way of getting an almost-correct White Pass steam outline loco until Accucraft produced a similar loco. They did, in the end, but it was East Broad Top mike and not the WP. So it is really a bit of white elephant - not 1/20.3 and not 16mm.

However, it manages to look pretty good in front of a consist of Bachmann WP passenger cars, on the odd occasions that it comes out to play, and I have to admit that right now I'm the only person who seems to have noticed the disparity of stuffs.

tac
OVGRS

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chaps

Interesting to read messages about the DCC and sound in the LGB/Aster WP&Y Mikado. I have been trying to re-program some of the CVs on mine using JMRI and Sprog3. But without much success. Can anyone let me know what decoders are fitted to this loco. I believe that the decoder is a Massoth unit, but I don't know the product number and I have no info on the sound unit.

I would be most grateful if someone could let me have this info AND I would be even more grateful if someone could let me have a list of all the CVs, what they do and the appropriate values and what value does what. Any chance?

Thanks, Tim

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As I noted in post #14, I don't have the means to alter any kind of digital stuff - I only run analogue on the track and I've never ever used the smoke unit - the unopened sachet of smoke-oil is still in the packaging.

I guess I'll leave it alone rather than futz it up.

Thanks for trying to help.

tac
OVGRS
Have Massoth Kit and LGB too, always welcome to visit to see what can be done for you. But bring a Garrett to run on my line please!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Ditto to what dunnyrail dunnyrail says, but Ascot is bit nearer to Bath that St Neots! :)
Can you read CV 8 (manufacturer) and CV255 (on later Massoth decoders gives model type). If CV8 is 123 it is either a Massoth or LGB, if CV255 is unreadable likely to be Massoth. What in particular are you trying to reprogram?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have Massoth Kit and LGB too, always welcome to visit to see what can be done for you. But bring a Garrett to run on my line please!

I'll need to pick a day when Mrs tac is not using the minivan - the Garratt won't go in my Porsche...

best

tac
OVGRS
POCRR - Eastern Sub

Reactions: 1 user

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Dave

Just checked and:

CV8=123 - Massoth and
CV255=148 - whatever that means.

I am just trying to program the F buttons so that the sounds are correct. At the moment they are all over the place! Also trying to make sure everything else has the correct CV value on each CV.

If I knew what decoder model it actually is I could select the appropriate table of CVs from the JMRI program.

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Dave

Just checked and:

CV8=123 - Massoth and
CV255=148 - whatever that means.

I am just trying to program the F buttons so that the sounds are correct. At the moment they are all over the place! Also trying to make sure everything else has the correct CV value on each CV.

If I knew what decoder model it actually is I could select the appropriate table of CVs from the JMRI program.

Many thanks in advance.

Tim
So you have a Massoth XLS (that's what the value 148 tells us)
http://wiki.massoth.de/tiki-index.php?page=Identification+of+the+decoder
The decoder values are defined in this manual.
http://wiki.massoth.de/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=150
The sounds are allocated to function keys in CV 131-142 (12 sounds).
HTH, Dave

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Did you read back the manufacturers id and version CV's?

Not a massoth expert, but you can definitely determine the manufacturer and some manufacturers put real information in the version cv.

Greg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I think your posting crossed with mine Greg :)

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks Dave and Greg, that is really helpful.

I'll read the wikis after supper.

All best.

Tim

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
whups, that's what happens when you start a post and don't finish it for a while... :giggle:

yep massoth for sure... Emotion XLS.... (I kind of figured they would give all the info... some of the US decoder manufacturers don't do anything with the version)

Greg

chasaitch

chasaitch
17 Feb 2016
Banburyshire OX155LF
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a 2nd hand Trainline45 Mallet with a Zimo decoder. I have wanted to alter some of the CVs as the previous owner had already done some and had had the foresight to make a note of the changes in the manual. The problem is that the manual is in German and my competance in the language is not up to understanding the technical stuff in it, the online English one stops short of the list of CVs and what they do so the gist of it all passes over my head higher than my arms can reach! There is a link to Zimo site but to understand that I would have to stand on a long ladder! CV8 gives me a reading of 123 so will the list of CVs in the Emotion XLS be the same? mind you what I have been able to achieve with my Massoth decodered kit was more by luck than understanding!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
will the list of CVs in the Emotion XLS be the same?

Sorry, no.. The Zimo is a very different beast! :(

chasaitch

chasaitch
17 Feb 2016
Banburyshire OX155LF
Best answers
Country flag
Must admit Phil I had thought I might be barking up the wrong tree. I must also admit that I am not totally happy with the sound reproduction I am getting, there is an occasional distortion on the speaker. If I really had some spondoolies to spare would you suggest replacing with a Massoth unit

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Must admit Phil I had thought I might be barking up the wrong tree. I must also admit that I am not totally happy with the sound reproduction I am getting, there is an occasional distortion on the speaker. If I really had some spondoolies to spare would you suggest replacing with a Massoth unit

No, the Zimo *should* be better!
I would suggest taking it to a certain emporium of our common acquaintance, and asking it be given to Andy to have a look at..
He has all the kit for massaging Zimo decoders. - He did the sounds etc. in the 'new' shop layout, and they are Zimo units, I believe?

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
CV8 value 123 means Massoth (or LGB). What is the value of CV255?
Could you have a Massoth motor decoder and a Zimo sound decoder?
Another thought: sound distortion might be down to the speaker being too small (wattage or impedence).

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a 2nd hand Trainline45 Mallet with a Zimo decoder. I have wanted to alter some of the CVs as the previous owner had already done some and had had the foresight to make a note of the changes in the manual. The problem is that the manual is in German and my competance in the language is not up to understanding the technical stuff in it, the online English one stops short of the list of CVs and what they do so the gist of it all passes over my head higher than my arms can reach! There is a link to Zimo site but to understand that I would have to stand on a long ladder! CV8 gives me a reading of 123 so will the list of CVs in the Emotion XLS be the same? mind you what I have been able to achieve with my Massoth decodered kit was more by luck than understanding!
I got one of the little TL 0-6-0's in addition to my Mallets one with a Zimo as has the 0-6-0. I managed to track down english language decoder details and downloaded them. I never printed them only the cv values.

What worries me about the Zimo is the dreaded CV29 which has all sorts of Bit configurations some of which can be unintuative compared to how bit programming tends to work with both LGB and Massoth. Perhaps the Englisg translation is notbthat clever but can anyone say how the bit programming works with a Zimo on CV 29? Also of concern is that cv29 on my 0-6-0 is not shown as on the list provid with the loco as 15. It has value of 3 which could mean anything as 5 of the bits can have a value of 1!

Link to the decoder instructions in English. The cv values start at Page 57 on this one which is different to the last list I found!

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-GrosseDecoder_E.pdf

As the 0-6-0 runs like a pig it has been residing in it's box since I Bought it as it has no pickups on the centre wheels. Waiting for the tech to be able to Battery it with DCC Control.