How to determine if your LGB 55015 or 55016 remotes are "p" enabled...

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Les (Tommy Trouble) asked the question in the Coffee Lounge, rather than attempt to answer it there, I thought the DCC section would be more appropriate.

Early versions of the LGB MTS 2 components could only send "function commands" in a serial form, that is if you wanted to send F3, when you pressed the 3 key, the handset would send the 1 command 3 times i.e. 1+1+1.

At a point in time, Massoth introduced the ability to send "parallel" functions and it was the norm to add a "p" extension to the part number (i.e. the 55005 Central unit became 55005p and the 55015 universal remote became 55015p).
I believe that the earliest of these had "p" stickers stuck to the cases to denote that they had this functionality (probably so that they could use existing mouldings). When new case moldings were produces, the "p" suffix was included on the printed ledgends.

At some stage, I believe that they dropped the "p" suffix on the part numbers (and possibly the cace ledgends too) - this may have coincided with the introduction of MTS3 (2008?).

So, if your unit has a "p" sticker or the printed part number has a "p" suffix, it is very likely that you have a parallel enabled device. If you do not then it is likely that you have a "serial" only unit unless it is very recent item.

In any case you should be able to determine if your unit is parallel by doing the following:

Select a loco

Issue the function 3 command (Press 3) and count the number of times the display flashes.

If the display flashes only once, then that is an indication that a single command was sent and your unit is parallel (good times).

if it flashes 3 times then that indicates that it has sent 3 commands - i.e. sent the F1 command 3 times (serially) - this could indicate that you have a serial only unit, however you still may have a parallel unit set to send seriall commands.

Next press "F" then "9" to switch mode.

Issue the function 3 command again (Press 3) and agai count the number of times the display flashes.

If the display flashes only once then you have managed to set the mode for the loco to paralell and your unit is parallel (good times).

If the display flashed 3 times then you have a serial only unit (bad times).

So, for parallel operation, your central station (55005) must be "parallel".
Any wired handsets that you want to issue parallel commands from must be "parallel".
Any wireless handsets that you wish to issue parallel commands from must be "parallel", the 55050(55051 USA) transmitter and the 55055(55056 USA) receiver MUST also be "parallel".
If you use the MTS-PC/Stellwerk computer program and the 55060 computer interface to controll your trains, this must also be "parallel".

"p" upgrades are only available from Massoth Electronics in Germany, equipment to be upgraded will need to be sent to them (Massoth USA are unable to do MTS upgrades). The current "p" upgrade prices are:

- 55005 : 40,-- Euro
- 55015 or 55016 : 30,-- Euro
- 55050 or 55055 : 25,-- Euro
- 55060 : 25,-- Euro

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Parallel kit always has an indication on it, in my experience. The forms I have seen vary. It may be:
a) a 'p' suffix to the item number on the facia (e.g. 55015p/ 55010p)
b) a circular sticker with a white P on a black background (seen on a 55025, 55050 and 55070)
c) a 'tick box' with options for both serial and parallel (seen on 55050), with a cross entered appropriately

Again, based on my experience, kit returned to Massoth gets returned with a completely new circuit board and a sticker (option b) on the item upgraded.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Muns, what a very useful post. Thank you so much for this. I have never noticed the amount of flashes before and this just may explain why sometimes my P kit appears to be a bit slow. IT is not unknown out of frustration to press multiple or just even the wrong buttons and blame Wilheim (The German gates bloke), when I may have converted my N to Serial. Thanks again,
JonD

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Indeed, extremely useful. Since being relatively new to G scale I had little idea of p and s beyond odd mentions in posts and other places. All my control stuff has been collected from various sources none of it being new so almost by definition its going to be older versions. Upgrades therefore appeal no end. Could I ask for the Massooth address. I know its probably lurking somewhere but its so much easier asking here.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
dumpy said:
Indeed, extremely useful. Since being relatively new to G scale I had little idea of p and s beyond odd mentions in posts and other places. All my control stuff has been collected from various sources none of it being new so almost by definition its going to be older versions. Upgrades therefore appeal no end. Could I ask for the Massooth address. I know its probably lurking somewhere but its so much easier asking here.

http://www.massoth.com/ < Link To Massoth Elektronik GmbH - Willkommen - Welcome this link should take you to their site. Phil

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Philbahn said:
dumpy said:

http://www.massoth.com/ < Link To Massoth Elektronik GmbH - Willkommen - Welcome this link should take you to their site. Phil

Thanks for this. Found site and bookmarked it for future reference. Been outside all morning. Idyllic. Blue sky, not a cloud in sight. Trains running perfectly. Doesn't get any better than this.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
dumpy said:
Philbahn said:
dumpy said:

Thanks for this. Found site and bookmarked it for future reference. Been outside all morning. Idyllic. Blue sky, not a cloud in sight. Trains running perfectly. Doesn't get any better than this.

Well it could be warmer

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Whilst we are on about remotes 55015 and 55016. I have only got loco remotes 55016. Have read LGB booklets but they don't seem to tell me much about what's the difference and also what you can do with them. Have only got as far as programming loco nos, turning lights on and off, turning display on and off and that's about it. Am I missing something by not having a universal remote.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
dumpy said:
Whilst we are on about remotes 55015 and 55016. I have only got loco remotes 55016. Have read LGB booklets but they don't seem to tell me much about what's the difference and also what you can do with them. Have only got as far as programming loco nos, turning lights on and off, turning display on and off and that's about it. Am I missing something by not having a universal remote.

The universal gives you more uptions. changing point ,signals, double heading and advance programming

madman1981

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Very useful information!! if i only knew my controller was p enabled a few years ago :mad: lol oh well you live and learn.

Benco

Registered
22 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Still extremely useful, ten years later. Thanks.