how does computer control work,please?

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
I have a garden layout worked by mts 2. using hand held controllers for loco control plus point operation.
Also a laptop computer.
What i wish to know is, can the computor be made to work
the layout on a time interval system to set the points and control the trains
or will computerising this layout requre the use of feed back sensors, track magnets ect taking the project way beyond my price range ?
I know that i will have to buy a computer interface cable, but what else ?

pete

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
You'll need the LGB 55060 PC Interface, and the software. Glendale has one in their Secondhand Sales for £50.

My recent experiences are on the forum here:

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=202772&high =

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions via a PM....

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
p.williams said:
I have a garden layout worked by mts 2. using hand held controllers for loco control plus point operation.
Also a laptop computer.
What i wish to know is, can the computor be made to work
the layout on a time interval system to set the points and control the trains
or will computerising this layout requre the use of feed back sensors, track magnets ect taking the project way beyond my price range ?
I know that i will have to buy a computer interface cable, but what else ?

pete
Hello Pete,

You could try using just time to automatically control trains on different routes but I think you will have a very tough job creating something that works reliably in all situations. In my view some kind of feedback for fully automatic operation is pretty much essential. The computer software needs to have confirmation when trains reach certain locations.

You could start small, just a few sensors, with which you could do quite a lot, and build up from there. There are various different types of sensors you could use, occupancy detectors are probably best.

I've not used the the MTS/Stellwerk software to any great extent and thats about the only option you've got with MTS. I know other control software and am also willing to help if I can.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
Many thanks to all who replied. sounds too expensive for what i wished to attempt
I.e. full automation and not just using the computer to replace the handset.

pete

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Well I'm not going to make any assumption about what is and what is not too expensive, but as I said before you could start off small and grow from there. Also consider the cost as an increment of what you have already spent on trains, decoders, point motors, track, handhelds etc.

As Gizzy says you would need the 55060 PC Interface + software, about £50.00.

As I understand it (and I don't use MTS so best to check this) you can use Massoth feedback stuff with all generations of MTS so to start off with full automation you would also need a Dimax Feedback Interface (£51.71 at dragon) paired with either some track contacts (and magnets) at £27.35 each or a Dimax Train Detection Module at £28.88. With train deletction you would need to isolate track section somehow. Play and grow from there.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Got to say, I doubt if I'd expand PC control any further on my railway? Cost is one factor, although as Cliff says, it's possible to add in any train detection components as one can afford it.

I'm not after full automation, as I like driving the trains, but pre-setting a route via the 'Power Box' on my PC is okay....

1f83dbbd00ed4bdcbfa962e0430d08ac.jpg

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Pete

I noticed that as well as the 55060 PC interface in the second hand section mentioned by Gizzy, Glendale also have a 55075 Train Detection Module for £40.00, some 17000 track contacts at £7.50. Those are the sort of things that will get you started.