Horsetail Weed

Handsomerob

Catching the fever
9 Feb 2015
Wawa
www.bobsbigtrains.com
Best answers
So does anyone have experience with horsetail weed? From what I have read, it seems to be quite a tough weed to eradicate. I was wondering if anyone has any tricks to getting rid of it.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Ha, I tried to get some to grow many years ago with no success. There are natural herbicides that may work. I hesitate to mention Roundup because I don't like using it myself. But it may be your last resort.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with that! It can reproduce from tiny fragments - don't ask how I know:banghead:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It's a weed that has existed for thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of years. You need to get all the root out, if you can. Hand weeding is the answer.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Horticultural vinegar with a 20% strength or stronger, normal vinegar might work, but it's normally around 5% strength.

It will need to be applied on a dry, sunny day.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In UK we have a week killer called SBK, it contains Triclopyr and a friend of mine reckons it will sort out anything. Treat with care of you use it. Have to say if Horsetail is what I think it is I have often considered it as a good Tree like plant. However I am well aware of its difficulty to remove if you do not want it, but my definition of a weed is a plant that grows where you dont want it. Grass fits that bill very well, growing in Path Cracks etc.
JonD

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
From a radio programme I heard many years ago, they said that to get a systemic weed killer to work on it you must first break the surface of the stem. I had a patch that insisted on trying to grow under the front of my shed. I used to just pull the head off and spray the w/k into the little socket left. That shot it!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Move house!
Don't take any plants, or soil with you..

A right-royal PITA to deal with, and you will always be fighting it.

YMMV.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Horsetail has a waxy surface that repels weedkiller crush the stems by trampling on them that allows weedkiller to enter the system

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Another thought.....import some sort of critter that likes Horsetail. Of course you might have to import another critter because the first critter will become a nuisance......on and on, you've heard it before.....:rofl:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
A right bugger. Often called Marestail in England. SBK works on woody plants so not too sure it will work on these - good for brambles though
Crushing the plant first sounds a good idea - well worth a try.
I find the damn stuff comes up on disturbed soil if you don't do something with it straight a way - like the seeds are sitting there waiting!

Handsomerob

Catching the fever
9 Feb 2015
Wawa
www.bobsbigtrains.com
Best answers
Horticultural vinegar with a 20% strength or stronger, normal vinegar might work, but it's normally around 5% strength.

It will need to be applied on a dry, sunny day.

I was only able to get some 10% strength around here so I have been breaking it off and spot treating the stocks with the vinegar, I hope it helps to at least control it.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I was only able to get some 10% strength around here so I have been breaking it off and spot treating the stocks with the vinegar, I hope it helps to at least control it.

That method worked here, though I think I use Roundup.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Just an idea, but wouldn't this work?

flamethrower-e1396973685544-970x350.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A right bugger. Often called Marestail in England. SBK works on woody plants so not too sure it will work on these - good for brambles though
Crushing the plant first sounds a good idea - well worth a try.
I find the damn stuff comes up on disturbed soil if you don't do something with it straight a way - like the seeds are sitting there waiting!
Does it have seeds and flowers as such?
Or is it all done by Tap Roots?
Or broken bits of root?
Anyone know for certain?
JonD

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
It has a fragile tap root, and will regrow from any bits left behind, it also is resistant to chemicals due to the waxy nature of its stem and foliage in short a right bar steward

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It has a fragile tap root, and will regrow from any bits left behind, it also is resistant to chemicals due to the waxy nature of its stem and foliage in short a right bar steward

Abso-blooming-lutely!

Just a couple of pics I've just taken. There is a stream in there (which I dug out last year after the hayshed got flooded). It's really taken over the whole bog - well it is Marsh Mares Tail!

Marsh Mares Tail (3).JPG

Marsh Mares Tail (2).JPG
and it isn't my land!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Bet you are glad it is not your land Mick.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But the Mares Tail does not respect boundaries!
:banghead::banghead::banghead: