Hi from New Zealand

Kotanga Girl

Registered
6 Jan 2017
New Zealand
Best answers
Hello everyone, I'm brand new here, but I've been messing around with large scale trains for a while now. I like scratchbuilding as well as running my trains on RC with batteries on board so I don't have to worry about pickups or cleaning track. Influences are Peter Barnsfield's Whimshire as well as steam tramways in general. I have a fondness for steam monorails too. Hoping to dip my toes in the water with live steam at some stage soon as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum young lady....

Reactions: 1 user

Kotanga Girl

Registered
6 Jan 2017
New Zealand
Best answers
Thanks for the welcome Gizzy :)

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Kotanga Girl.

I am slightly curious (as opposed to Bi-curious), I see from your profile that you are 62, so, if I may be a trifle indelicate, your avatar is slightly stretching things a bit. Also, while we have several female members on the Forum, your profile does not give gender, are you if fact of the male side of things. I apologise for being a bit forward, but it could avoid some embarrassing confusion in the future. It appears Gizzy has fallen under your spell already.

David

Kotanga Girl

Registered
6 Jan 2017
New Zealand
Best answers
Hello David, - yes I'm of the female persuasion and yes I must agree that my avatar is a bit youthful for my age so I'll have a look around for another one that still has a steampunk spirit, but is suitably mature.

Kotanga Girl

Registered
6 Jan 2017
New Zealand
Best answers
Growing old might be compulsory, but growing up isn't. ;)

Reactions: 5 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. We always like to see new members. And yes, if you can post some photos we always like them too.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello David, - yes I'm of the female persuasion and yes I must agree that my avatar is a bit youthful for my age so I'll have a look around for another one that still has a steampunk spirit, but is suitably mature.

As you are younger than me, you are still a girl to me, thank you and welcome. My daughter-in-law is a Kiwi, unfortunately the family are now living in the US, which is a long way to go to see the Grandchildren.

David

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Given that most of us on here are self-confessed "Boys with toy trains", I see nothing at all wrong with you using "Girl" at any age..... ;)

Welcome to the forum, most people here are of varying degrees of madness (beware any ones who claim they aren't....) and generally we all try to be as friendly and helpful as we can - ask any questions you like, there will usually be one or two useful answers among all the ramblings.

Enjoy your time here, and as others have said, we all love pictures of what you've been getting up to! :rofl:

Jon.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
My daughter-in-law is a Kiwi, unfortunately the family are now living in the US, which is a long way to go to see the Grandchildren.

David

It's even longer to have to come to New Zealand..........

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
For our members with a limited understanding of the Kiwi vernacular, an explanation of the word Kotanga.
Kotanga, pronounced coathanger, is an alternative ethnic name for a car aerial. The coathanger, of course, has to be one of the wire kind. Once very popular is areas prone to high rates of motor vehicle vandalism. Very good at receiving AM signals, but since the proliferation of FM radio stations, the Kotanga has waned in popularity.

Last edited:

Kotanga Girl

Registered
6 Jan 2017
New Zealand
Best answers
Thank you very much for the warm welcome gentlemen. While I do have some 'G' scale models and also a small collection of 'New Bright' trains (am I allowed to mention 'New Bright here?) I also like to work in 16mm scale as well as 1/16th scale. Gn15 is also a scale I'm interested in so as you can see I'm not a total 'G' scale purist by any means.
Pictures? I'll have a dig around and see what I can find. My good digital camera died so I'm stuck with using my cellphone camera, but if I hold my mouth right the pictures aren't too bad.

I've gone back to the avatar I previously chose because that's how young I feel inside even if I'm moving into OAP territory. I like steampunk and I did actually take flying lessons at one time (I'm a terrible pilot btw) so that's where my avatar theme comes from.
The name 'Kotanga Girl' comes from layouts I've had in the past that were named the 'Kotanga Tramway'. There's no Kotanga Tramway at the moment, but I do have plans and ideas for a new layout that may come to fruition. At the moment I'm starting work on a small shunting layout with a whimsical theme based on some of the 'Whimshire' postcards by Peter Barnsfield.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from up North.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Glad you've gone back to your favourite Avatar - if that's how you feel on the inside then it's appropriate!
Re the scales, we're a pretty broad church on here - I don't think anyone has any problem with New Bright, and these days you can even mention Newqida here without it starting a flame war (well, most of the time....) ;)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Glad you've gone back to your favourite Avatar - if that's how you feel on the inside then it's appropriate!
Re the scales, we're a pretty broad church on here - I don't think anyone has any problem with New Bright, and these days you can even mention Newqida here without it starting a flame war (well, most of the time....) ;)

Jon.

Welcome!

Can I be your 'toy-box' then? :eek:;)

Though you *can* get away mentioning N*wquida, NEVER admit to owning any! ;);)

However, NEVER, EVER, ask whether upper, or lower, quadrant signalling is best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;):giggle::giggle::giggle:;)

Kotanga Girl

Registered
6 Jan 2017
New Zealand
Best answers
Oh but it's perfectly plain the best sort of signal is ............... Oh yes I see what you mean, - almost put my foot in it then. :D

Well I don't own any N*wquida so I guess that's alright then. 'New Bright' trains are fun :) At the time when I bought mine nobody seemed to want them so I picked up some nice bits and pieces cheaply. I think I might have the odd bit of 45mm gauge New Ray and a little Lionel 'G' as well. I must have a dig about and a good look sometime soon just to see what I have got.