G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My next project is an automatic back and forth circuit........can follow a couple of schematics but lost with relays........need a list of parts especially identifying the relays as latching or unlatching......... Having trouble finding my way around the forums to get to the right section.............

Relays explained very basic but informative. Also touches on schematics

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3553

Thanks for that Gap...........well worth digesting.....will hunt around and look for a schematic and parts list.......

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Mardy.

D

Deleted member 3553

Thanks Madman....

D

Deleted member 3553

can anyone help me with this ? transistor.........H772 with BC and Y below........should have 3 legs and mounted on heat sink in a Bachmann 44124 controller.............this one probably fell under the engine and suffered serious amputations.....damaged while replacing faulty switch.......need to know replacement ?? Regards Mal R.

Attachments

• Pic_0621_240.jpg
    Pic_0621_240.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
D

Deleted member 3553

Thanks Gap.....that makes it lot easier for me......couldn't understand much of what I found on the web.........

D

Deleted member 3553

Hi Gap...........don't know names but an IC is mounted on circuit board in a separate frame ? Can I use similar system to mount this PNP Transistor.The design of unit makes it almost impossible to service as this transistor is soldered to board and fastened to heat sink which covers the board.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gap...........don't know names but an IC is mounted on circuit board in a separate frame ? Can I use similar system to mount this PNP Transistor.The design of unit makes it almost impossible to service as this transistor is soldered to board and fastened to heat sink which covers the board.

The heatsink should be removable if it isn't try identifying the pads to which the transistor is soldered then run jumper wires from them to the transistor and mount it on an accessible part of the heatsink or mount it elsewhere and give it its own heatsink.
That can be piece of aluminum or any metal bolted to the transistor, try and get good thermal conductivity by using either heatsink compound(messy) or silicone washers (Jaycar have both as well as heatsinks). A heatsink is just there to dissipate any heat generated by the device.
Then just cut the old transistor legs and remove it.

D

Deleted member 3553

Thanks again Gap.......its a very tricky job....one of these three-handed ones ,not to mention the seeing business...... I have soldered 3 wires to the board and re assembled the unit and will fit new pnp to outside of h/s/.....think there is room to get the cover back on..........Mal R.

D

Deleted member 3553

I have an led circuit between the two coaches at left...this operates a headlight in leading coach and two red at rear of trailing coach and vice versa as this is an end to end track.......power from Taurus motor unit ..........am looking for ideas to connect the four wires between coaches........currently the unit is awkward handling although the wire looks quite authentic looped between.................

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
D

Deleted member 3553

Good one Gap......haven't seen these in my hunt at JC.....in town tomorrow so will have a look......Mal R.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Good one Gap......haven't seen these in my hunt at JC.....in town tomorrow so will have a look......Mal R.

I use the website to get the product number and get them to order it, I'm not in a capital city so I have to wait a few days for most of the stuff I want.

D

Deleted member 3553

I'm 1/2 hour from Ipswich and the staff at JC there are pretty obliging......go in once a week for shopping........just having morning cuppa ...this morning I realised I had some old phone fittings and am in the process of butchering a couple of pieces which are even smaller....back in the 80's I had access to a lot of old type phone equipment and used it extensively on my oo layouts back in NZ....... if this job works out I'll post a pic....this is using the modern phone plugs..........

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm 1/2 hour from Ipswich.........

Hey, whaddya know, I'm half an hour from Ipswich too - you should pop in for a chat..... Ooooohhhhh, hang on a minute...... ;)

Jon.

D

Deleted member 3553

Get the kettle on Z........ I'll just get my 747 out of the hangar and call in.............................. Mal R.

D

Deleted member 3553

Get the kettle on Z................. I'll just get my 747 out of the hangar and call in.............................. MalR.

D

Deleted member 3553

Job done ...in the rough at the moment but working OK...coat of black and looking good........

Attachments

• Pic_0628_249.jpg
    Pic_0628_249.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic_0628_250.jpg
    Pic_0628_250.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Job done ...in the rough at the moment but working OK...coat of black and looking good........

Now I know what to do with all my old ADSL filters and leads now that I have NBN.

My daughter lives in Brassell, hubby works at Amberley.
SWMBO is an Ipswich girl.