Hi from Birmingham UK

Andrew Smith

Registered
23 Feb 2023
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I'm just getting started on my first G Scale garden railway. I've been building a N Gauge railway for the last 25 years and looking for a new project. I know very little about garden railways so will have lots to ask. Andrew

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Andrew!

Ask away, lot's of good advice but rubbish jokes....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi ,welcome to the madness

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I'm just getting started on my first G Scale garden railway. I've been building a N Gauge railway for the last 25 years and looking for a new project. I know very little about garden railways so will have lots to ask. Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Is that N gauge layout not finished yet? :)
Have you an idea of what you want in G scale, or are you looking for ideas? Hopefully it won't take another 25 years.
Welcome aboard.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Andrew welcome, be a good idea to get some idea of the direction you wish to go with G before you spend lots of money. My direction was East German Harz metre gauge, a couple of friends also chose that gauge but with Swiss prototypes. Piko also a good bet if you like standard gauge ish East German railways then there are USA options both Standard and Narrow Gauge. Good to look through some on line Catalogues to see what takes your fancy. I have not even mentioned 7/8th scale on 32 or 45 gauge track then there is live steam and some things I have not even thought about.

My line vid and build linked below in blue. (both a out of date now)

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew

The G Scale Society has a very active West Midlands Area Group who meet monthly in Solihull and who operate a large indoor layout. I am sure that you would be made welcome and offered a wealth of ideas, information and advice. You can Google their contact details. I am not a member of that group myself, but a visitor to their annual exhibition.

dig 160213045.JPG

David

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew

The G Scale Society has a very active West Midlands Area Group who meet monthly in Solihull and who operate a large indoor layout. I am sure that you would be made welcome and offered a wealth of ideas, information and advice. You can Google their contact details. I am not a member of that group myself, but a visitor to their annual exhibition.

View attachment 310415

David
Any clue when their next show is? Done a cursory look but cant find it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Any clue when their next show is? Done a cursory look but cant find it.
If it was happening this year, it would have been and gone..
A pity, as it was pretty-much, the start of the season. Especially for the Midlands.

They do have regular monthly gatherings, though..

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If it was happening this year, it would have been and gone..
A pity, as it was pretty-much, the start of the season. Especially for the Midlands.

They do have regular monthly gatherings, though..

PhilP
Shame that they do not think to let us know if they have one. Been a few times and enjoyed the day out, not too far to walk from a Station and an interesting bus trip back as well passing by Tysley Museum.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
In the past it has always been early February but I do not believe that they have held one this year.

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They did not..

Paul Blake had been the Group Coordinator 'forever' but has health issues, and has stepped down from the role.

There have been a few members who have left us, in recent times, but the group seems to be recovering, and work is being done on their layout..

They do actively post their meeting schedule, and there is an active mailing list, you can be added to..
You will then get notifications of their meetings etc.

PhilP

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
The G Scale Society West Midlands Area Group has a web page at West Midlands - The G Scale Society

It has an up to date meeting schedule which I've copied below. The meetings are from 11am to 4pm.

Saturday 4th March
Saturday 8th April
Saturday 6th May
Saturday 10th June
Saturday 8th July
Saturday 12th August
Saturday 9th September
Saturday 14th October
Saturday 4th November
Saturday 9th December

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, it would seem the advice is already flowing, as mentioned think about what you want out of your railway, just like planning any other railway (but bigger much bigger ;)). But don't rush into anything too expensive or permanent to start, get some track down have play test of your railway and trains, and it should give you some inspiration.