Help please with sound

IansClassic

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Sep 2015
Nottinghamshire
Best answers
Hi i am very new to the forum ,i have a lovely big Aristo-Craft 4-6-2 Pacific +Vanderbilt Tender that needs sound i am useless at electrics so not attempting to try and install any sound .can anyone tell me were i can buy the American steam locomotive sound being in the UK nobody seems to have anything suitable and if they do its having to mess about with the tender wiring also is there any UK trust worthy G scale Company that would fit it for me thank you for any help.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ian,
I am in Tamworth, and do that sort of thing..

Are you wanting a decoder fitted as well, or are you analogue?
PhilP.

IansClassic

8 Sep 2015
Nottinghamshire
Best answers
Thank you so much for your kind replies i would like it fitted please how do i reply to my single messages please i am interested in Tamworth i am running Analog and just had a 5Amp controler delivered from topslottsandtrains i am using track magnets thank you

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
IansClassic said:
how do i reply to my single messages please

If you look on the left hand side of your post, under the words 'I'm new, please be gentle', you will see a quote 'bubble' next to the envelope.

This is for Personal Messaging.

Simply click on this on the post of the person you wish to reply to and type your message and send....

IansClassic

8 Sep 2015
Nottinghamshire
Best answers
PhilP said:
Ian,
I am in Tamworth, and do that sort of thing..

Are you wanting a decoder fitted as well, or are you analogue?

PhilP.
Hi Philip i am very interested if you can do the sound for me please im in nottinghamshire and no problem bring it to you im sorry im new to G scale and don't have a clue what i need how do i contact you please

IansClassic

8 Sep 2015
Nottinghamshire
Best answers
sorry im not allowed to send personal messages for 24 hours will reply tomorrow

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Pm sent with contact details, and blatant plug for Chasewater.. ;) :D :happy: :happy:

Oh, welcome to the Forum, Ian!
:happy:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
IansClassic said:
sorry im not allowed to send personal messages for 24 hours will reply tomorrow
No worries?

Welcome to the forum anyway!

And nice loco too, although it's a Mikado 4-8-2 rather than a Pacific....

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
PM sent.

IansClassic

8 Sep 2015
Nottinghamshire
Best answers
Hi im sorry the pic on my profile is the wrong pic i do have the 4-6-2 Pacific with the Vanderbilt Tender i have taken photographs .thank you for all your kind replies and Advise ,

Attachments

• DSCF5082 (1280x960).jpg
    DSCF5082 (1280x960).jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 19

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Ian,

You might want to consider MyLocoSound soundcards as they are less than half the price of Phoenix. Recent upgrades mean that we do a very good job of US loco sounds and particularly the chuff, whistle, bell and brake pump.

Our distributor, Peter Spoerer Model Engineers in Norfolk has a vast experience doing installations in customer locos. Just enter "Peter Spoerer" into your search engine and you will find him.

If you decide to go this way, specify that it is a US loco. We then replace the standard UK guard's whistle with an "All aboard".

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As another option (while not wanting to take a job away from Phil!), the simplest possible option - although definitely NOT the cheapest - is to pick up one of the LGB "black box" all-in-one sound modules, the 65000 series (the one you'd want is 65001, the American Steam module). At list price these are quite expensive (£150-ish), though you can sometimes find second-hand ones on evilBay - it's often possible to find one for around £100 or so if you have a bit of a search.

While there are certainly better and/or cheaper sound systems available, the advantage of the 65001 for the raw beginner is its simplicity - the electronics, speaker and volume control are all housed in the one little black box (about 60mm square and 20mm deep), and the only thing you have to do is to find somehwhere to physically put the box (inside a big tender shouldn't be a problem at all) and then connect two wires from it direct to track power. It will then work on analogue or DCC, automatically sensing which it is picking up.
You don't have to worry about mounting a separate speaker somewhere, or insulating/protecting a bare board of electronics, or anything more than the two-wire connection.

Just offered as an idea, should you decide you want something ultra-simple that you can install yourself......

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There's several decoders that will plug into the existing socket... I'd get the new steam sounds in a QSI decoder, of course you will have to order it from the US.

I think either Massoth or ESU or Zimo makes decoders that also plug into the existing socket.

All of these are motor and sound DCC decoders and will also run on DC, and can run the "direct drive" smoke units.

Greg