In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Happy Monday G Scale Enthusiasts!

I need help identifying this DC light that works well in tight spots and puts out a little light that broadcasts all around. Thanks AJ the TeacherDC Dome Light.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Did you notice the writing on the end caps? Get your magnifiers out and see if you can get a part number. One end will probably have the voltage and current or wattage, the other a part number.

Since I use DCC, these higher current lamps are something I don't use.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg. I did as you suggested and there is absolutely no identification, voltage ID or part #/product ID on it. I was hoping that someone (I figured that someone would be you because you are very knowledgeable!) would have seen something like this before. Thanks AJ the Teacher

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I can't shed any light on the problem, but that looks a really useful sized light fitting. You'll have to excuse my ignorance though, how big is it? An American coin means nothing, sizewise, to me.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I can't shed any light on the problem, but that looks a really useful sized light fitting. You'll have to excuse my ignorance though, how big is it? An American coin means nothing, sizewise, to me.
Paul, according to Google:

US Quarter Dollar Diameter: 24.26 mm (0.955 in)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Don't tell me...
You have a stash of quarters, in the garage!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I swear I see letters/numbers in the metal end caps, just like on fuses... did you pull it out from the clips and get a magnifier on the ends?
Yes sir, I did. Thanks for asking. AJ the Teacher.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm... just a trick in the photo.... do you know the voltage and amps?

I spent more time searching, miniature, subminiature, micro, tubular.... no joy... LEDs are your friend ha ha...

Greg

Last edited:

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm... just a trick in the photo.... do you know the voltage and amps?

Greg
No sir. Would you believe that it was at the top of an Aristo-Craft vista dome that I purchased last week? And it shines just the perfect amount of light to give just the perfect nighttime glow (my opinion) as it runs on my layout. It was wired into the stock Aristo-Craft vista dome wiring so well that I was wondering if it was stock.......

I am running an Aristo-Craft Ultima 10 Amp ART 5460 controlled by an ART 5401-10 on this track. If that helps. Thanks! AJ the Teacher

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, I would get some warm white led strips and try those, they are usually 12v, so 2 of the strips in series would nominally work at 24v, so 12-18 would probably work out fine.

The low profile also means that they won't shine out the windows, a big plus.

All kinds of options and cheap.

Greg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The closest I can find on google that would be 18V - 24V (for track power) are small festoon bulbs but most are a different shape or dimensions to the one you show. I cannot find anything identical to the example you have.

Some of these on this page are similar looking but only 6V I think. They seem to be little more than a grain of wheat bulb inside a tube.

Auto Miniature Festoon Neon Bulb St6 6*36 Automotive Dome Light Bulb Auto License Plate Light Lamp - Buy Auto Miniature Festoon Neon Bulb St6,Auto Motive Dome Light Bulb,Auto License Plate Light Lamp Product on Alibaba.com

Or this kind of thing, a 24V 6mm x 36mm festoon

Bailey S63624001 - S6 Festoon 6X36 24V 50mA 1.2W

I agree with the other posts; change over to LEDs anyway as they're more efficient, run cool and you have loads of different sizes, styles and colours to experiment with.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It's not from a car glove compartment or something else in the automotive world?

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's not from a car glove compartment or something else in the automotive world?
Hi Paul. I am a car guy and I have spent more time in auto scrapyards than I have talking to..... my best friend. I think that is a GREAT suggestion, but I have never seen one like that in any car or truck; foreign or domestic. But I wonder if it might be an ashtray or glovebox light too. But it works SO well without anything to drop the voltage.

It makes you wonder.... Thanks AJ the Teacher

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks once again Greg for all your suggestions. As usual your understanding of electrics in modeling and trains is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks AJ the Teacher

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
All Electronics lists “fuse lamps” at 6, 8, and 12 volt ratings. They are not opaque, but look identical and work with the glass fuse (AGC) mounting clips. They contain a long filament that does disperse light nicely. Interestingly the light mounting holes on LGB coach roofs provide perfect alignment for attaching individual fuse sockets to be bridged by the bulbs. They were a good low profile light source 40 years ago, before the awesome options of led’s. Now they are a rare commodity. The only other place I saw them used was as a dial light source in a 70’s stereo.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
there you go, the key phrase was "fuse lamps" since they are the form close to a tubular fuse.

now I know... see these babies:

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Wow!
Even a LED equivalent available, awesome!