help & advise please -

Johnnymas

Registered
3 Aug 2022
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
hi thanks for letting me join
Im going to hold my hands up straight away - " I've joined for advise on how & where to sell dads Bachmann Big Hauler" its quite a lot of excellent quality items that i Need to sell as dads care is crippling us. Im really looking to for someone to take the lot (collected) as im short of time - I've tried market place with some guesses at price & been messed around 4 times ! - I've also been told my prices are low -

ANY advise would be Very much appreciated

if this post is not allowed i apologise

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello John (I assume),

If you have a 'collection' to sell, and need to move it quickly, then you may well be better going to a dealer?
Others may disagree, but a dealer worth their salt, will take the lot in one go, probably even aranging collection.

There is a Model Engineers Society in Leicester, it might be worth contacting them?

Was your Father connected to any other modellers in the area? - There may be a modelling association, your Father was a member of?
As an example, the 16mm Association have a group who will help with the disposal of a members collection.

I am sure others will have suggestions.

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
John, sorry to hear about you're problems.
It would help of you could list the items you are trying to sell, and what sortof priceyou'relooking for. Is it all Bachmann?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with both comments, i.e. we need to understand what you are selling, and although not necessarily the best prices, a dealer could be your best option.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
John also my sympathy with care home cost issues, been through that myself.

As for your items, the Big Hauler is not a massive value item. Best would be to look at EBAY prices to get an idea of what things are worth but look at sold prices, do not be swayed by the sometime silly prices that some ‘chancers’ try on.

As for you comments on ’excellent quality items’ this can be subjective. Sorry to appear not so positive but wherever you decide except for perhaps a trader, on EBay things tend to get what they are worth unless they are wrongly listed in the wrong place.

A trader is a good way to clear a full collection in one hit with no hastle, but remember he/she will have to pay fuel to collect, sell on and he may have other costs so prices as mentioned will likely be much less than you may otherwise expect. Indeed moving on a big collection is not always the easiest thing to do to get what may be considered is the best price.

You say you are in Leicester, if you can a good option would be to create a list, send to GRS at Princess Risborough who sell 2 ways, they can buy (dealer prices as above apply) or sell on commission, possibly a better deal though others who have experience may comment. A bit of a drive for you but dooable if you can drive.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
hi thanks for letting me join
Im going to hold my hands up straight away - " I've joined for advise on how & where to sell dads Bachmann Big Hauler" its quite a lot of excellent quality items that i Need to sell as dads care is crippling us. Im really looking to for someone to take the lot (collected) as im short of time - I've tried market place with some guesses at price & been messed around 4 times ! - I've also been told my prices are low -

ANY advise would be Very much appreciated

if this post is not allowed i apologise
It may be hard to get fair market value. I just sold a very good condition never run on tracks for 175 less than I payed for. Could I of got more I do not know. I have been trying to sell it for 3 years. This is the third Rapido Turbo Train I have sold. Other 2 were very used and I made very good money on. Other 2 were Via Canada Rail. Third one was am track so.