Help/advice with Futaba FP-T2NBR

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Have inherited this RC with batteries and engine. First trials (I am a novice with RC) so successful, engine and battery car took off at enormous speed and derailed throwing stuff everywhere. Naturally there have been some consequences to this most of which I have rectified but am stuck with a problem that is beyond me and the answer may be buy a new unit. So here goes.
6203e68f7fc6409abe8bd137be254609.jpg

e95abc536991476f8cd2614319515c22.jpg

The problem seems to be power drain. Battery power gets to the unit in the second picture (What is it and what does it do by the way) which appears to be taking away the voltage. I can see it dropping on the meter. Is it just broken?
PS There are two Al plates projecting from side of this unit. Have removed upper one to get this photograph. The whole unit has been so well stuck down I can't move it.

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
That second photo shows what looks like a Brian Jones ESC (Electronic Speed Controller).
This should vary the power to the motor depending on the transmitter stick position.
The ali sheets are heat sinks, only needed for very Amp hungry locos.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dumpy,
I am guessing, but the unit in the second picture is supposed to be a speed controller and the metal plate in the foreground is a heat sink. It looks like it may be a DIY unit so you might have a problem sorting any fault so it could be less stressful to buy a new one and wire it in

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
If it is a Brian Jones unit then it may be worth a phone call to him before you bin it, he is very helpful and may be able to sort the problem out

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Thanks everybody. At least I now know what am looking at.

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Problem resolved I think. Spoke with Brian Jones. Exceedingly pleasant and v helpful. Tried his ideas and yes, its dud batteries despite them showing charge etc. Seems not unusual to get all sorts weird readings with failing NiMH batteries.