Hello from the Isle of Wight.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, it seems you have already made friends. If I can make a small suggestion, what would be nice is a cheap very easy build loco for beginners to start on. There's loads of beautiful loco kits out there, but never having made one the complexity is a bit off putting

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Thanks for your welcome. My 7mm narrow gauge kits work on the basis of a cheap available commercial chassis, which I make a body kit to go onto, the kits are simple to build and I am now seriously looking at doing the same with either G Percy, Piko or LGB loco chassis. The problem is that people buy my kits and I also have commitments in other scales so this slows the mastering process down but I am working on it. MR

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, it would seem you are reasonably well known, however for I newcomer like myself, I have not come across you before, please could we have a little more information for the unenlightened, :)

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Had my Taita Gorge Railway up as a screensaver at work. New boss walks past, we get talking, as you do, then he whips out his phone, and shows me a picture of one of Smallbrooks Emmet locos that he had assembled..... so, I had to then bring up my Haywards Estate Railway (in Gn15).

DSCF0047.JPG

Ex Bachmann On30 with cab kit from one of Mr Smallbrook's competitors. Got this before I'd heard of Smallbrook, by the way.

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Welcome to the forum, it would seem you are reasonably well known, however for I newcomer like myself, I have not come across you before, please could we have a little more information for the unenlightened, :)
Thanks for your welcome, for more information on my models please check out www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk , best wishes MR

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Had my Taita Gorge Railway up as a screensaver at work. New boss walks past, we get talking, as you do, then he whips out his phone, and shows me a picture of one of Smallbrooks Emmet locos that he had assembled..... so, I had to then bring up my Haywards Estate Railway (in Gn15).

View attachment 253549

Ex Bachmann On30 with cab kit from one of Mr Smallbrook's competitors. Got this before I'd heard of Smallbrook, by the way.
Great stuff. MR

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your welcome. My 7mm narrow gauge kits work on the basis of a cheap available commercial chassis, which I make a body kit to go onto, the kits are simple to build and I am now seriously looking at doing the same with either G Percy, Piko or LGB loco chassis. The problem is that people buy my kits and I also have commitments in other scales so this slows the mastering process down but I am working on it. MR

Welcome also from Berlin!
I think you are absolutely right: What is valid for your 7mm range, is also valid for G-Scale, just think about the wide range of LGB OTTO / RUSTY conversions.

Don’t limit yourself to British NG! I would like to encourage you to “look over the channel”

... and think about this nice 2-6-2 “Regenwalde” - a true alternative to the well known LGB-Model.

As chassis could serve an older type LGB 99 6001, see also

http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/printview.php?t=1148&start=0

Andreas

Last edited:

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Thank you for your welcome and the links. I certainly won't limit where I look for inspiration, of that you may be assured. MR.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Well, it's G scale....... Gn15 to be precise.

DSCF1073.JPG

My first crack at static grass. Check out a site called gNatterbox... Google it, the host site Gn15.info seems to be bust, but you can access the Forum by searching gNatterbox.

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Gavin - thanks for the picture, nice work. I am aware of gNattering/box. Michael.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
There isn't much else like the Percy chassis and the LGB Stanz is too small, the ideal would be for me to offer a chassis kit or complete Super Nellie kit but then do I do it battery with or without r/c or track pick up? Mind you I also have other plans for the Percy chassis/ footplate and there is no guarantee that Percy will always be around to be available, particularly if the Thomas people price themselves out of the market.

I've a lot on at the moment so don't hold your breath but i'll give it some thought. MR
Welcome to the Forum
I’ve used your products for the Stirling single and wheel sets for other conversions tenders
On the subject of Percy there is a pic below of my conversion to a southern B4 0-4-0T
There is also a pic of a Southern C14 tank using an LGB chassis
Good luck with your endeavours

Attachments

• 4AEE32C9-A623-42AA-BA3B-8BBF68C1D3A5.jpeg
    4AEE32C9-A623-42AA-BA3B-8BBF68C1D3A5.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DB3C1D41-38E5-4A4F-AC33-59B302B701E8.jpeg
    DB3C1D41-38E5-4A4F-AC33-59B302B701E8.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 71072074-8B3F-4521-8E0E-7F195BB23F61.jpeg
    71072074-8B3F-4521-8E0E-7F195BB23F61.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 0

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum
I’ve used your products for the Stirling single and wheel sets for other conversions tenders
On the subject of Percy there is a pic below of my conversion to a southern B4 0-4-0T
Ps The real C14 is of course the old Triang Nellie

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
As someone who grew up not far from Battersea Park (Victoria, in the late 50's & 60's) and who's family bought Punch magazine regularly I became a great admirer of the wonderfully creative work of Roland Emmett - for obvious reasons. I love the Gn15 models you produce of these subjects and I think I have seen them incorporated into several show layouts. Your homepage has been duly "bookmarked" :cool: Welcome to the forum. Max

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Welcome to the Forum
Thanks for the welcome, I am most impressed with both the B4 and the C14 and they have given me a lot to think about. I saw the B4's around Plymouth as a lad but never got to Southampton to see the C14's. With regards to the wheels, I withdrew them because they took quite a bit of work to produce but I think that I will have to reintroduce them at a slightly increased price as I now am making many more for '0' gauge and so have improved the production process and consequently reduced the costs somewhat. MR

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Ps The real C14 is of course the old Triang Nellie
Triang's Nellie was a C14 stretched a bit but enough to be able to fit a Hornby/Dapol Terrier into it with a bit of chopping around. It makes into a nice little chunky loco. Sorry if I have gone a bit 'off piste'. MR

Mr Smallbrook

Registered
18 Jun 2019
Isle of Wight
Best answers
As someone who grew up not far from Battersea Park (Victoria, in the late 50's & 60's) and who's family bought Punch magazine regularly I became a great admirer of the wonderfully creative work of Roland Emmett - for obvious reasons. I love the Gn15 models you produce of these subjects and I think I have seen them incorporated into several show layouts. Your homepage has been duly "bookmarked" :cool: Welcome to the forum. Max
Thanks for your welcome. As a child I found a copy of 'Saturday Slow' on my parents book shelves, it was soon liberated to my bedroom and I have it to this day along with all of the other books of Rowland Emett's drawings. I nagged and nagged my Mother to take me to Battersea but to no avail, however she did take me to see Emettland in Harrods and I have to say that I was dreadfully disappointed in it, so much so that I walked out, an action that I later regretted but with hindsight I don't think that I was far off the mark, it wasn't that good. More kits are on their way including the Observation Car. MR