Hello from Singapore

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
Dear Dan. Thank you for your very kind offer. I appreciate this a lot. I am waiting for my two zimo decoders to arrive. They are MX645P22 + Adaplu50. Lets see how I get on with it. I think I have to brush up my soldering skills a bit.

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
Dear Dan. Thank you for your very kind offer. I appreciate this a lot. I am waiting for my two zimo decoders to arrive. They are MX645P22 + Adaplu50. Lets see how I get on with it. I think I have to brush up my soldering skills a bit.

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
Hello All
My move to my new home has to be delayed by another 2 weeks due to the Covid19 pandemic resulting in a shortage of renovation workers. The attached photo is my outdoor balcony at my new home. It measures 15ft x 13ft. I dont think I will use all of the 13ft. Probably something like 15ft x 8ft to allow some walking room. It has a self-draining wooden deck. I would appreciate any suggestions on laying the track - should I do directly on the wooden deck? Also what layout is possible. I just want to see trains running and not mess too much with sidings.
Have a very nice Sunday.

Attachments

• L4 Deck.jpg
    L4 Deck.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 0

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum.
I have a temporary track installed on a similar deck at the back of my house [see pic], it is about 9 feet wide and 17 feet long. I use R3 curves and have at present only one short siding. I use DC only.
One issue I do have is the noise created by the trains. I have to turn off any sounds that the locos electronically create [I have had lots of help from forum members re safely pulling locos apart to install switches etc] plus I found that some locos and carriage combinations make more noise than others. Plastic wheeled vehicles are quieter but that is impossible for locos obviously. The sounds seem to be generated between wheel and rail mainly, higher speeds make things worse.
I have found heavier locos make less noise generally, some LGB ones are ok, some of the other brands plus lighter weight LGB ones can be a bit noisy.
If the ambient sound is reasonably high and covers the running sounds then you should be ok, it all depends on how close and tolerant the neighbours are I guess.
I have considered putting soft plastic pads under the track but haven’t experimented with that.
All the best and enjoy your trains.
Monty

Attachments

• 54322DA2-EF10-433A-BDB6-89867D32D5DA.jpeg
    54322DA2-EF10-433A-BDB6-89867D32D5DA.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 0

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Edit... the track is not held down in any way but I have used Massoth MM1 Graphite Lubricant [very sparingly] on the rail joiners to assist in conductivity by reducing corrosion.

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum.
I have a temporary track installed on a similar deck at the back of my house [see pic], it is about 9 feet wide and 17 feet long. I use R3 curves and have at present only one short siding. I use DC only.
One issue I do have is the noise created by the trains. I have to turn off any sounds that the locos electronically create [I have had lots of help from forum members re safely pulling locos apart to install switches etc] plus I found that some locos and carriage combinations make more noise than others. Plastic wheeled vehicles are quieter but that is impossible for locos obviously. The sounds seem to be generated between wheel and rail mainly, higher speeds make things worse.
I have found heavier locos make less noise generally, some LGB ones are ok, some of the other brands plus lighter weight LGB ones can be a bit noisy.
If the ambient sound is reasonably high and covers the running sounds then you should be ok, it all depends on how close and tolerant the neighbours are I guess.
I have considered putting soft plastic pads under the track but haven’t experimented with that.
All the best and enjoy your trains.
Monty
Hi Monty. Thank you for sharing your experience. I have not considered the noise factor. I think I could get away with it as my balcony is open, and the wooden deck is made from very dense, heavy compact fiber wood. Time will tell after I have installed the tracks. Presently I have only R1 curves. I will look for R2 or R3 soon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Another thing to consider is the graphite dust and gunge caused by who knows what. It will mark the deck and possibly get onto the deck below. So you really ought to put something down to prevent that, and to keep you neighbours on side

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You could consider cork underlay. I use it to crudely represent ballast. Trains are almost silent if well lubricated.

Markku

Registered
19 Jul 2020
Finland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Daniel, these are the instructions I followed when I installed the Massoth eMotion L decoder in my new Stainz: WaltonsModels.co.uk

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Daniel,

I think I would do some sort of raised trackwork. I believe that would make your layout much easier and more enjoyable to work on in limited space of the balcony. And let me add my welcome to that of the others.

Phil S. (another Phil on the forum)

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm...... perhaps a 'planter box' type garden down three sides, raised a foot or two above the deck. Track layout, maybe dogbone 'loops' at the ends nearest the windows/doors. That should leave room on the deck for a beer table, and a chair or three. Given the space restriction, I wouldn't shy away from R1 curves either..... you won't be running super size mainline in that space.