Hello from Northern California

Julesfeher

Registered
24 Oct 2021
California
Best answers
Country flag
First, thanks for the invite. I've been collecting for 25+ years but sadly have not made time for a garden layout. I've let the real world, work, and general procrastination dictate my time. I do plan to retire within 2 yrs. and a working layout has been high on my list -so there is finally light at the end of the tunnel -and it will be an oncoming train. The collection consists of 20 or so electric powered (steam, diesel, electric) engines of all sorts and conditions including some coveted brass and steel Aster and Accucraft pieces that I am dying to actually see run, plus a slew of passenger and rolling stock cars and 1000 ft. or so of brass track. Below, and or attached, should be a pic of a rotating display cabinet is how I now enjoy the hobby.
Display cabinet.JPG
I am far removed from understanding electrical circuitry but through readings and discussions am slowing becoming convinced that I should move toward dcc and battery even though I severely lack the expertise. My fear is the electronics will overwhelm me and burst my fantasy and drain the excitement and fun. One thought is maybe have both? Anyway, you will probably see me in the Forums asking questions rather than contributing -so thanks for any insight in advance.
Jules

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. Ref Analog DC / DCC / Battery decision, why don't you get trains running first on analog DC as that will require least work or knowledge of electronics. Then you can decide at leisure if you need the added features of DCC or Battery. I would say Battery requires the most electronics knowledge as you don't get many, hardly any ready to run Battery fitted locos, so a lot of DIY involved, or paying someone else to do it for you. With DCC you can get DCC ready to run locos new factory fitted or second hand owner fitted.

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Battery/track power the argument for or against either can go on a bit. Use what you feel comfortable with.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jules!

Retire..
Get some track down...
Lube you loco's, and run them analogue DC....
Get a feel for things, pay a few visits, and see what you fancy.

Adding DCC, or battery, or both, is not cheap, so you need to make any decision with a good idea of 'how much' and 'how difficult' it is going to be.

Enjoy the ride!

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 10 page set of web pages on beginner FAQs...

I'm going to link my battery vs track power page, but this is NOT the first thing you should decide.... That's there too... (envisioning what you want and deciding on those things is first, then you can FIT the available technologies to your DESIRES, as opposed to picking track vs battery, DC vs DCC vs RC...

Greg

Steve Seidensticker

Registered
14 Oct 2020
San Diego, California
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jules, Welcome to the forum. I live in San Diego and have done a number of sound+DCC+on board battery for locos similar to those in your collection. Please feel free to contact me when you are ready to make the jump to battery power.

Steve

Steve Seidensticker

Registered
14 Oct 2020
San Diego, California
Best answers
Country flag
Hey, the installations that I do are DCC. It is just DCC through the air - not the rails.
All my installations include a DCC decoder.

Steve

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jules welcome to the forum from the other side of the pond, normally we have lots of good advice, but as you will notice some banter in battery versus track power. That aside photos are welcome, lots of photos, but beware of the humour :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Jules, have you thought about linking in with a local Garden Railway group in your area. They would likely give you track rights for some of you collection before your line is built and be of great help with inspiration of how to get started. We can on here give lots of practical advice (look at my build thread linked below) but nothing beats actually seeing something in the flesh or garden if you will. In the meantime there is this which is a good replacement for the sadly demised Garden modeling magazine that was published your neck of the woods. Worth a look for inspiration and ideas, all the back issues available and there may be info about local groups to you or at least how to find them.

Garden Railways can be a lonely pursuit unless you know where to look, still you found us lot.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Jules. Glad to have another bloke from our side of the pond.

Julesfeher

Registered
24 Oct 2021
California
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jules, Welcome to the forum. I live in San Diego and have done a number of sound+DCC+on board battery for locos similar to those in your collection. Please feel free to contact me when you are ready to make the jump to battery power.

Steve
Thanks Steve, Yes, I would be interested in your help as I get closer to actually doing something with my collection. Wish you were a bit closer to avoid fears and cost of shipping. I do occasionally travel south so that may be an opportunity to bring some down at some point. I will certainly keep you in mind.

Julesfeher

Registered
24 Oct 2021
California
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Jules, have you thought about linking in with a local Garden Railway group in your area. They would likely give you track rights for some of you collection before your line is built and be of great help with inspiration of how to get started. We can on here give lots of practical advice (look at my build thread linked below) but nothing beats actually seeing something in the flesh or garden if you will. In the meantime there is this which is a good replacement for the sadly demised Garden modeling magazine that was published your neck of the woods. Worth a look for inspiration and ideas, all the back issues available and there may be info about local groups to you or at least how to find them.

Garden Railways can be a lonely pursuit unless you know where to look, still you found us lot.
Thanks JonD, Yes, indeed there are groups and I do belong to one and they do at times encourage you to bring along your own during weekend tours. Once we get a handle on COVID and start these up again, I need to make sure that I have something that runs well (track or batter power) and jump in with both feet and bring something along and stop just being an outside admirer.

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jules. I too have just gotten back into the hobby after being out since last century. There have been a lot of changes but I chose to start with analog DC track power 1st just to get things rolling. You will find that there are many people here that can be helpful. The basic electrics are not too daunting but my most important tool for me is a good digital multi-meter. (Fluke makes a good one.) I use it for continuity or DC voltage on a regular basis.

It's good to have you here. AJ the Teacher