Hello from London

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having a live steamer means never having to ask 'does the E404MMMc load sensor coupling connection actually need to match the DD408CCt-M/ module?'

Welcome, as well, from just up the road from dunnyrail.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Having a live steamer means never having to ask 'does the E404MMMc load sensor coupling connection actually need to match the DD408CCt-M/ module?'

Only necessary if you have the early version of the Epitaxial Dipthong Thrung-Modulator.. :nerd::nod::nod:
;)

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul - I'm in Hackney.

Gavin - definitely not my experience, it's mostly very good on the parts I usually use :) It being a large and somewhat uneven system means other people's mileage may vary considerably!

Taking the proverbial, of course. The very first thing I did in London, after clearing Immigration (Customs was unattended), was to ride the Tube. Smart enough to to NOT ride the Paddington Express, we were going to Russell Square, so the direct Piccadilly Line all stopper did the trick, and the transit time only 3-4 mins longer, and the fare saving was enough for a warm beer at the end of the trip.

DSCF3403.JPG

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Why not just use your real name, or are you ashamed of it ?
Fred Mills

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Perp,

Don't pay any attention to those above the 49th parallel. They're just jealous that they're still frozen!

Phil S(impson). from Trumpistan ;);););)

Last edited:

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Fred Mills - I wonder if you realise how that statement comes across. I can think of lots of good reasons not to use a real name on a hobby forum, but in my case there's apparently nobody else with my name, and when I approach companies as a freelance consultant they inevitably search me and I'd rather keep my non-work life off the results. (In fact some hobbies I haven't done for years do show up on those, before I realised I was going to have this kind of career or how long those pages would linger, but fortunately not too far up the results)

Tac, Phil - I see your point about the appeal of live steam, maybe one day! I don't faze easily with technology but thrung modulators might well defeat me!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The pseudonym that I use here is an anagram of an anagram of my real name, tac foley. It's been mixed up so much that it now bears 100% resemblance to my real name. Good, eh?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's the thing about the Internet and forums, things stay. All future politicians will soon be found out if they get up to no good at university

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Fred Mills - I wonder if you realise how that statement comes across. I can think of lots of good reasons not to use a real name on a hobby forum, but in my case there's apparently nobody else with my name, and when I approach companies as a freelance consultant they inevitably search me and I'd rather keep my non-work life off the results. (In fact some hobbies I haven't done for years do show up on those, before I realised I was going to have this kind of career or how long those pages would linger, but fortunately not too far up the results)

Tac, Phil - I see your point about the appeal of live steam, maybe one day! I don't faze easily with technology but thrung modulators might well defeat me!
That's the thing about the Internet and forums, things stay. All future politicians will soon be found out if they get up to no good at university
Never really considered the implications of being 'exposed'. Just out of curiosity I thought I'd search for me on t'internet. There's thousands of me out there but I don't appear to be one of them. Musicians, authors, murderers, analysts, doctors, actors, transport managers etc etc but no mention of anyone involved in any of my former occupations or interested in railways (garden or otherwise). Even the fact I made it onto Who Wants to be a Millionaire many years ago never came up. I suppose that could be considered a 'bonus'. Anyway, welcome to the forum from a very basic DCC user.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Never really considered the implications of being 'exposed'. Just out of curiosity I thought I'd search for me on t'internet. There's thousands of me out there but I don't appear to be one of them. Musicians, authors, murderers, analysts, doctors, actors, transport managers etc etc but no mention of anyone involved in any of my former occupations or interested in railways (garden or otherwise). Even the fact I made it onto Who Wants to be a Millionaire many years ago never came up. I suppose that could be considered a 'bonus'. Anyway, welcome to the forum from a very basic DCC user.
People don't, that's how they get caught out. It's now normal for employers to check prospective employees digital media posts, gives them the real story

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Yeah, don't worry about it, I use my real name as you can see :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Tac - clever :)

Paul - the thing with politicians already seems to be happening and doesn't seem to make much difference. Social media trawls appear to be a popular attack tactic of wingnuts of every handedness. Just what we all needed, another way to make discourse less civil :-( You're dead right about employers though, fortunately I don't get up to anything worth making a fuss about, I just need to make sure I don't crowd work related things off the first page of results.

ebay mike - in the age of instant search, a unique name can be a bit of a problem. If you made it onto Millionaire you have a much bigger claim to fame than I do! May I ask what's the "very basic" DCC that you use? - might be about the level I'm looking for...

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Tac - clever :)

Paul - the thing with politicians already seems to be happening and doesn't seem to make much difference. Social media trawls appear to be a popular attack tactic of wingnuts of every handedness. Just what we all needed, another way to make discourse less civil :-( You're dead right about employers though, fortunately I don't get up to anything worth making a fuss about, I just need to make sure I don't crowd work related things off the first page of results.

ebay mike - in the age of instant search, a unique name can be a bit of a problem. If you made it onto Millionaire you have a much bigger claim to fame than I do! May I ask what's the "very basic" DCC that you use? - might be about the level I'm looking for...
Hi 'perp'. It's all second-hand LGB MTS (2 I think). A significant portion of it bought off members of this forum when they've upgraded to Massoth or similar enhanced systems. It's what they call parallel, not the earlier serial version where you had to push a button a number of times to access a certain function (i.e. 2 pushes for function 2, 4 pushes for function 4 etc.) I have an assortment of sound systems in my locos, but to be honest I find the standard LGB factory fitted or 65xxx series of add on units good enough for my needs. I'm renowned for being frugal and can't see the point in spending vast amounts of money on electrical gadgetry. I got my first taste for this with a 5amp transformer, central station and hand-set with additional plug in programmers for eighty quid. My budget seems to get swallowed up with loco purchases. There's a thread on here somewhere giving an insight into DCC systems, but your experience in OO digital may well put you streets ahead of me.
Mike.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now might be a good time to move into the body of the forum, don't you think? There is a dedicated section of this site given over to DCC stuff. Just sayin'.....

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Hi Mike - thanks, it's helpful to hear about what works for you. I'm not actually very fussed about sound or gadgets, I just want to drive. Sounds like you got a good score on that starter setup even if it's not the latest greatest - it doesn't need to be at that price - I hear you entirely, when it comes to wanting to save money for shiny locos! I've read some past threads but not sure if I've found the right ones - but still putting together my mental picture as all the product and tech names are still a bit unfamiliar. I am in no way streets ahead of anyone :)

Tac - good point - I did start a thread there hoping for replies exactly like Mike's but didn't get any. Let's stop this thread (and I'll try to start some better ones someday soon).

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Good morning perpetualnewbie. I have messaged you regarding an open day. Just check the envelope symbol at top right if you have not spotted it.