Hello from London

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Hi G scalers,

I've been "lurking" here for a while reading posts to learn a bit, and really admiring some of the photo threads, but I finally wanted to post a question (coming soon, might not have time today) and I thought I ought to say hi in this intro area first.

I've loved model railways for a long time, but felt I'd stalled a bit with OO indoor trains for various reasons. G looked like an interesting size to build things in, but what really pushed me to take the plunge was that my family love it. When we've been to things like model engineering exhibitions, for whatever reason, it's often been G size stuff that has caught their attention.

So far off to a very basic start (I have assembled something a bit like a stereotypical starter set with loco and wagons, plus a bunch more track and points, but nearly all from secondhand bits and pieces) but we're all having lots of fun! More than I'd expected given how simple our setup is. I love how robust the track is as we get it out and plug together new and entertaining configurations all the time, both indoors and in the back yard. I'd love a more ambitious, permanent outdoor setup one day but realistically that's a long way off for me. I've started building some stuff. I'm probably going to have a fair few questions as I get into this.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

Plenty of advice here....

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
P perpetualnewbie welcome to the forum, however a simpler name to call you by may be advantageous.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Surely we are tying to encourage new member not scare them off :):)
Absolutely, Jimmy - my apologies to the OP if I have caused offence - hastily looks for the slapped wrist emoji.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

Don't worry Rhino.. If the OP has been lurking for a while, he will know we can't leave a good pun (or a bad joke) alone for long! :):nod::nod:

Nothing wrong with a bit of track 'thrown-down' in the garding!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

Don't worry Rhino.. If the OP has been lurking for a while, he will know we can't leave a good pun (or a bad joke) alone for long! :):nod::nod:

Nothing wrong with a bit of track 'thrown-down' in the garding!

View attachment 251614
And with a bit of luck, he may be familiar with my warped sense of humour :mask::mask::mask::mask:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Having fun is the thing and the simpler can offer the most fun sometimes (maybe more times than we imagine).

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome.
Its a long descent.
I started with some track on the grass, 2 locos and some stock, all lgb.

They are indeed a lot of fun.

Add some lighting, some pola buildings....some figures...over time.
For me, its been going on since 1985.....
It builds.....its like a disease....lol.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Mr P, see that works for me hope it does for you. Lots of advice and info on here. Enjoy the journey.

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
No offence was taken. Sorry, I didn't think through the name. I couldn't think of anything good. Agree it's a bit long, might change it since it looks like I can do that. Watch out or it might be "perp" :)

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
No offence was taken. Sorry, I didn't think through the name. I couldn't think of anything good. Agree it's a bit long, might change it since it looks like I can do that. Watch out or it might be "perp" :)

Or you keep the name and put some none de plume in your signature block

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

:D:D:D and you reckon I thought mine out? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, where abouts in London do you live

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Hi Paul - I'm in Hackney.

Gavin - definitely not my experience, it's mostly very good on the parts I usually use :) It being a large and somewhat uneven system means other people's mileage may vary considerably!

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I'm only a few miles from you in Forest Gate and another forum member lives just around the corner from me. I do hold occasional open days so I will message you when I decide on the date for the next one. I see from your other thread that you are investigating DCC. I use Massoth so it would be an opportunity for you to have a play if you want. There is a link to my website in my signature to give you an idea of the setup here. Open days are primarily live steam but we usually run track power and battery locos for the first hour or so before the steamers take over.

I should add that although I run DCC I don't pretend to understand it. I just put the loco on the track, select the address, turn the knob and away it goes...press the buttons and it makes noises...that's about it. My points are also fitted with decoders but in practice I change them by hand most of the time. Oh, and there is a hot metal wagon that tips remotely, but that only gets an outing once in a blue moon.

Last edited:

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Thanks railwayman198! Followed your link, that's a really nice railway (is it a faux pas here to say layout?) and definitely not a theme I've seen before! Alas, my yard is smaller and darker and scruffier than your garden but pictures like yours really give me something to aspire to. I would love to attend one of your open days if I can, please do let me know. The way you say you use DCC seems like about the level I actually want - I know it can do more, but "select a loco and drive" would do the trick for me. I don't need points motors as I have small signalmen who are only happy if kept busy.

And Hi Casey. Thanks for the welcome.