Hello from Huddersfield, UK.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Simon, I thought you might like to see Hardyard, my portable Inlenook layout....thumbnail_IMAG0820.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Probably not....but there is Hope ...British Columbia Canada. . ....I was once really into ho scale and now I am just interested in G. And you notice it is mostly if not all males here. warning..2 out of 3 breakups the female looses interest and dumps the guy.

G scale Simon

Registered
13 Jan 2023
Huddersfield
Best answers
Country flag
Simon, I thought you might like to see Hardyard, my portable Inlenook layout....View attachment 308887
Wow, I like that one ! For me, not having much space, I think it's a balance between building a working layout, rather than a diorama.
Even in G scale, you can do a little bit. There's no way I will go back to OO or N gauge. In fact, even O gauge models don't look quite so impressive as G scale. It's a matter of trying to make everything fit together in a way that looks as though such a scene, might just about be possible in real life.
Due to ill health, I've ended up having to live in a bungalow and so, rather than just sit, twiddling my thumbs, watching the telly all day, I thought I would have a go at modelling again. My daughter's boyfriend helped me put the layout together. He is not a rail enthusiast or a modeller, but he's done well for me. Thanks Phil, if you ever get to see this !

Reactions: 1 user

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Simon,
Has anyone mentioned Rule 8?
To quote Mr Duffy of this parish:-

RULE *8*
The most important rule...........
ITS MY RAILWAY, I WILL RUN WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT, HOW I WANT, AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT..........Bugger Off
your a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort!

Don't ask what the other 7 rules are, no one can remember :D

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Simon, you'd be surprised what you can fit into a smallish space, as Gizzy's photo shows. The rolling stock he is using is LGB and the tanker comes from the Toy Train range, a lower priced LGB range. The trucks come from the main range and also appear in the Toy Train range. The two advantages are they tend to be cheaper and, maybe more important, they are shorter at 30cm/12 inches ling. I use them on an end-to-end harbour layout and Christmas layout (8 feet to 12 feet long for the latter) for that reason.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

RULE *8*
ITS MY RAILWAY, I WILL RUN WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT, HOW I WANT, AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT..........Bugger Off

Isn't rilule 1: My layout, my trains, so play how I want or not at all

G scale Simon

Registered
13 Jan 2023
Huddersfield
Best answers
Country flag
There's some lovely small layout ideas on here. Thank you everyone. Just a heads up, I went into Millenium models in Morley, near Leeds, to see if he had any G scale items and yes, it turned out there is and was. I would have bought the grey tipper wagon, but some-one had bought that, however, there were some more of the "toy train" items that don't seem to be listed on here. The LGB Mobil tank wagon looks a beauty, they are all secondhand, but so far as I could tell, they look to be in great condition Garden Gauge G

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag

RULE *8*

Thanks for posting this and took a snap shot to remind in the future. I do appreciate suggestions but not bossed around thank you.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Simon, some short stuff you might be interested in.

Hartland Locomotive Works mini cars. They are only 185mm long coupling to coupling. Flat cars, trucks, tank cars, V dumps (hoppers interchangeable with LGB's ones), Out of business now but still some stock around.

cc874cca9cd41b59889783252474d3b6.jpg

pasidump is a seller on eBay in Sri Lanka that sells a few inexpensive parts suitable for short cars similar to the Hartland stuff. LGB couplings may be more suitable for you than his link n' pin ones though. Locally sourced steel wheels may be better too.
His G scale plastic axle Journals are only £10.23 for 12 which is great value. Easy to make cars up with timber and ice cream sticks/coffee stirrers.
Ebay user: pasidump

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Just to finish off what I started as a design challenge. :nerd:
Suitable for short field railroad cars.

Small Shunt Layouts 01_0.jpg

Attachments

• Small Shunt Layouts 01_0.jpg
    Small Shunt Layouts 01_0.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
For small wagons, trhsome of the suppliers on the 16mm Association website, 16mm.org.uk. Although they tend to be about 1:19, the smaller wagons don't look out of place

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There's some lovely small layout ideas on here. Thank you everyone. Just a heads up, I went into Millenium models in Morley, near Leeds, to see if he had any G scale items and yes, it turned out there is and was. I would have bought the grey tipper wagon, but some-one had bought that, however, there were some more of the "toy train" items that don't seem to be listed on here. The LGB Mobil tank wagon looks a beauty, they are all secondhand, but so far as I could tell, they look to be in great condition Garden Gauge G
The other wagons that would work to give you more shunting fun are the LGB so called FeldBahn Wagons, the last two on the link at £25 being just 2 from a pretty good range. However I would urge you to resist the Feldhahn Locomotives (1 steam 1 diesel) as though very pretty are less than reliable with dead frogs.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, just as Rule 8 and Rule 32b allow you to run your railway as you wish, I'm sure each of the rules allows you to follow whichever rule you wish.

Doesn't Rule 17.5 paragraph 11 state that you may follow any rule that suits you best?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Doesn't Rule 17.5 paragraph 11 state that you may follow any rule that suits you best?
It does indeed, Tac, anything goes (well, sometimes rather uncertainly if the track is dirty and the skates poor, but then there's battery).

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It does indeed, Tac, anything goes (well, sometimes rather uncertainly if the track is dirty and the skates poor, but then there's battery).
Didn't know there was the many rules, but then again I suppose there must be the small print somewhere

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Didn't know there was the many rules, but then again I suppose there must be the small print somewhere
There has to be rules, everything needs rules, how else could we brake them ;)