Have I killed it??

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Just had a battery loco running around the garden which has a manual control powered by 8 low discharge AAA cells, when it suddenly stopped... Got to the loco and found all the wiring melted and the battery hissing and so hot I couldnt touch it! Its still got voltage in it but looks a mess. Would it be safe to charge?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
er no

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Was thinking that would be the answer :( Still not sure what caused it to go. No sign of a short before everythin melted...

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Re:Have I killed it??

Was it steam outline?

If so...................................................................................... it's chuffed! :D:happy::D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

could be an internal short. Sounds dead to me - I wouldn't risk a perfectly good charger on it.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag

It was steam outline, the smoke was coming out the tender thou...
Fuse and the charging socket was the next job as I was testing the setup as I'd already had problems with it. faulty pot which was replaced. Motor still operates so its not that thats failed. Either the new pot has gone or the chip. Its bolted down to a big enough piece of aluminium thou and with heat sink compound.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Speaking from experience - a lucky escape where I could have caused a major conflagration

ALWAYS INSTALL AN IN LINE FUSE - FIRST - AS CLOSE TO THE BATTERY AS POSSIBLE.

I was lucky, I managed to rip out some of the glowing wires with my hands and only burnt a couple of finger tips. Trashed the battery pack, though.

Oh, the loco was indoors at the time, being charged, and sitting on a wooden worktop :banghead::banghead::banghead:

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag

Def an experience! Annoyingly the fuse holder is sat on the bench ready to go in. All my other loco's have them fitted and never had an issue. think i'll get a meter on the cells in the morning and see if their all the same or not. But it may well be going in the bin...
Anyone techy enough to tell me what the hissing was?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

andyspencer said:
Anyone techy enough to tell me what the hissing was?

Probably sizzling and giving off some noxious gas - nothing to worry about though :rofl::rofl::rofl:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag

More than likely escaping gases from within the cooking batteries. At worst hissing is usually followed by a loud bang and then a trip to casualty.

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag

nicebutdim said:
More than likely escaping gases from within the cooking batteries. At worst hissing is usually followed by a loud bang and then a trip to casualty.
Sounds about right....

Best leave them outside under a tin bath till the morning (deffo not in the house or workshop.....)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

put it this way.. RUN

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag

They are currently in the kitchen. all sizzilling has long stopped now! when I ripped them out, was ready to duck and/or run for cover!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

if in dought, send wife in.... well they say women and children 1st!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

I got my battery pack to the point where the connecting tabs between each cell were glowing red :banghead::banghead:

The insulation on much of the wiring for the rest of the circuitry had melted, and the two switches were trashed.

Lighting diodes survived, loco body escaped unmarked by the heat (body was nickel silver)

Fingers damaged :brokeheart:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

I think I will stick with 230V AC much safer....:banghead: