dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I accidentally stumbled in this outfit this morning in my quest for Sounds. Though for Boats they may have a place in our Trains as well. The Whistle on the Steam Boats one is the best I have heard other than a DCC Chip and the Diesels are nice and clonky. A little on the large side but may fit ok in a Diesel or Tender. 3 Sounds can be activated by RC so may work ok with the varying Battery systems out in the Parish. Listen to the examples and see what you think.

https://www.harbormodels.com/sounds.html

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice sounds, but over here (Glendora is in driving range) $150 is a lot compared to an HD DCC decoder that can be had for $90. Can't you find a DCC decoder that has trigger inputs? (i.e. not using DCC, but DC mode)

They do make a killer smoke unit, check it out.

Greg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Can't you find a DCC decoder that has trigger inputs? (i.e. not using DCC, but DC mode)
Greg
That DC mode would/could work perfectly for me. Are there any about?

Do I even have them in my Trainline Pfiffi or Ffifi Locomotive?

Without a gentle push in the right direction would not even know how to start even if I had such a Sound Decoder, but I could get one working on DC without too many problems.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Virtually all DCC decoders have DC mode... what you need is a decoder that accepts "trigger inputs" to make the sounds like bell, whistle, etc.

The DCC decoders might need a bit of filtering from the PWM that is going from your ESC to the motor. That should take care of engine sounds.

I think the Zimos have trigger inputs, and the Massoth and ESU;s should also... not all have them... a little harder to find in the HO units, but you get the cost savings of the smaller decoder...

If you look on page 44 of this zimo manual: http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/Small_Decoders.pdf

You see the switch inputs S1, S2, S3... which are inputs that can be configured to trigger sounds, normally bell, whistle, and in the US often a crossing sequence.

I'm sure that the other manufacturers do this, and these are the small HO decoders.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is you have to give them power enough to wake-up, before the loco moves off.. - This can be a problem.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Virtually all DCC decoders have DC mode... what you need is a decoder that accepts "trigger inputs" to make the sounds like bell, whistle, etc.

The DCC decoders might need a bit of filtering from the PWM that is going from your ESC to the motor. That should take care of engine sounds.

I think the Zimos have trigger inputs, and the Massoth and ESU;s should also... not all have them... a little harder to find in the HO units, but you get the cost savings of the smaller decoder...

If you look on page 44 of this zimo manual: http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/Small_Decoders.pdf

You see the switch inputs S1, S2, S3... which are inputs that can be configured to trigger sounds, normally bell, whistle, and in the US often a crossing sequence.

I'm sure that the other manufacturers do this, and these are the small HO decoders.

Greg
Thanks Greg looked at that and the varying decoders what I did not find was where these inputs come to on the decoder, all the info on page 44 tells you is the Sound Values. Hmmm.

I was wondering about wiring the Track Reed that does this via another one on the Water Tank (hidden of course) and triggering Bell or Whistle with a Magnet on a wand. But a miniature Servo could probably do the same trick with a Magnet on the crank, more like it!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, well, the mapping of a particular sound to an input is another CV, all I was trying to illustrate is in that example, there is an inexpensive HO decoder that will run on DC that has great sound and has 3 possible triggers (yes reed switches would be fine)

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Most the Massoth decoders have two trigger inputs.. The Zimo (with three) is even better.. - Though (for me) would mean yet another proprietary programing module and software to learn.. :rolleyes:

I wonder how HO / OO sound decoders would fair in this department? - They would only stand a lesser voltage, but probably within limits in a battery installation?
I would doubt they would have trigger inputs though??

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Many of the companies are now realizing that HO decoders are used on larger scales that have small motors. The evidence is that many now tolerate G scale voltages...

I'm a little confused about your question though, the example above is INDEED an HO decoder that has trigger inputs.

On page 4 of the manual I linked above you can see that they tolerate 35 volts...

So they are HO, they are DCC and DC, they tolerate 35 volts, they have trigger inputs, and they are inexpensive.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Many of the companies are now realizing that HO decoders are used on larger scales that have small motors. The evidence is that many now tolerate G scale voltages...

I'm a little confused about your question though, the example above is INDEED an HO decoder that has trigger inputs.

On page 4 of the manual I linked above you can see that they tolerate 35 volts...

So they are HO, they are DCC and DC, they tolerate 35 volts, they have trigger inputs, and they are inexpensive.

Greg

Whoops!
Sorry Greg.. - I had missed the 'small decoder' part of the link, as I scanned the post..

I will have to go back, read the linked manual, and then find 'how much' this side of the pond..

I have only come across the 'large scale' Zimo decoders.. - They seem to come in a 'tobacco tin', are (what) about 35mm square? and have connections on all four edges.
*All this from memory, of seeing one a year or so back..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
$ = £ it would seem over here..
£99.00 for a supplier who has one in stock..

I *know* the sounds will be better than a generic card, like the MLS, for a RC installation.. It is whether the Customer would feel they were £40.00 pounds better than a MLS card?? :think::think: