Sounds with analog - possible?

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Ok I have found some really very nice tram sounds on the web that are free downloads, I could have recorded my own but first one has to find a working tram...
Now my question for all you gurus out there with analog is there any way to synchronise sounds with movement? My thoughts were to just have the sounds playing subtly in the background but then I got to thinking that someone may have a smart way of triggering an MP3 player so that as the tram moves off its gong sounds, the straight cut gears whine......................... I did make a disturbing discovery though in my quest, Modern Trams don't have gongs they have "digital gong" recordings activated by a button, such is the demise of resistance controlled tramcars....
This is probably the wrong place to post....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but if you send George your recordings he will make a sound module for you. Very reasonable I might add.

http://ittproducts.com/

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Dan, thanks very much for that link. The HQ280 is exacary what I need and can be triggered by a reed switch and magnet on the car. Thanks for that.....

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I had a nice new LGB New Orleans tram about 6 years ago that was supplied to and fitted by one of the big UK dealers with a Masoth card with suitable motor sound that was activated and controlled by the track voltage only and had bell sounds that could be activated by a reed switch. Problem was it required a capacitor somwhere in the system that caused the tram to keep running for 5 seconds once the current had been cut. Lots of crashing into buffers and other stock, a bit impractical ! They also mis-wired it so the directional lights worked the wrong way round. It had been handed over "tested" but nobody told me about those "limitations".

I was not happy as I reckoned they had botched the installation and their intial quote of £130 had risen to £280 (they were aware it was for analogue operation from the outset) by the time the extra bits to enable the card to operate in a limited fashion on an analogue layout had been fitted. When I took a close look at the manual it was obvious that this sound card could only really be workably functional when operated on a digital layout. But they ommitted to tell me.

Suffice to say I was a very unhappy bunny and had the tram exchanged for a new one (no card fitted) and they sold on, my once pristine, the botched and butchered one themselves. I'll spare the dealer's name to avoid their embarassment. Moral of the story - yes there are sound cards for trams on analogue but be very careful what you wish to belive.

Max

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ROSS said:
Madman said:
I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but if you send George your recordings he will make a sound module for you. Very reasonable I might add.

http://ittproducts.com/

I also recommend this dealer....excellent instructions that come with units and also available on his web page.
Yep I downloaded the instructions. The difference with these cards is that they are actual recordings as distinct from digital interpretations. So the sound is realistic....

Fairlie

Registered
22 Jun 2011
Shropshire
Best answers
What is the link to your tram sounds, Trev?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Trev
I think that the ITTproducts HQ boards are really just background sounds that will loop or can be triggered but they do not have separate sounds for various stages of movement like the bell , motor whine etc which are syncronised with the movement. I maybe wrong and could be corrected.

I think that is why analogue 'real sound' sound cards like Phoenix , old Sierra, and were fairly expensive in that the synchronising is all done to trigger specific sounds from the chip library depending on speed, reed switches etc and are programmed into the chip and the chip is really what you pay for on top of the other components on the board.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Get your ole Dansette out and a pile of them Transacords, blast 'em out on a Sunday afternoon, that should shut the dog up next door, eh, Gresley 3-cylinders bashing up Whitrope Summit and through Riccarton

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You might not want to spend this sort of money, Trev, but for around £100 a Massoth S will work very happily on analogue - very simple two-wire connection direct to track power, plug in a speaker and then (if you wish) connect a reed switch or other trigger for bell etc.
If you advance the controller very gently, you should get start-up sounds before movement, then a bell chime or whatever as it pulls away, then speed-dependant running sounds - slowing down gently should give braking noises and then further stationary sounds if you leave it just below "moving" voltage.
The S is also very small (about 30mm x 20mm with the end tabs snapped off) so can be installed almost anywhere. The other advantage is that if you EVER decide to convert to DCC, your sound is there and ready to go, you'd just need to add a relatively cheap driving decoder.

Probably not what you're looking for here, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Glengrant said:
Get your ole Dansette out and a pile of them Transacords...

hehe - still got this one from when I was about 5 y/o. The record dates from 1967, I suspect the recordings are older.
bb522053da124ad596eb27eb66357fc3.jpg

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Fairlie said:
What is the link to your tram sounds, Trev?
Forgot, I googled tram/ trolley streetcar sounds and downloaded them

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers