Handling LGB 26600/01/02 metal Crocodiles

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The newish LGB High End crocodiles are very heavy locos, weighing in at 8.8 Kg in unpacked running condition If you are fortunate enough to come across one do not attempt to pick it up by the central body section (a favourite grasping point for the plastic bodied LGB crocodiles)..

The roof on the central body section on the 26600/01/02 crocodiles is held in place by small magnets which are adequate to keep the roof assembly in place but nowhere near strong enough to take the weight of the whole loco. If you must pick one up, take a firm grasp with an hand on each hood section.

Also as a general note, the package the loco arrives in weighs ~13Kg and the long box makes it tricky to handle. If you are going to lift the box, you need to have a very clear idea of where you will be putting it down again, The packaging has metal plates inside the carboard ends and a metal base plate that the loco is bolted to.

IMG_1968.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Useful information..
What are the sides of the central section made from?
If the roof section comes away, is there also a chance, that you could crush / deform the sides?

Personally, I prefer to get fingers underneath a model.. Then you know it is supported, when lifting..

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
May be worth having a chat with Chris from Locoboxes, they make bespoke boxes and, more pertinently, carrying/ lifting cradles

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
What are the sides of the central section made from?
If the roof section comes away, is there also a chance, that you could crush / deform the sides?
The whole body is solid diecast metal, including the hoods on the articulated motor assemblies. It is quite robust and heavy.

The detail parts are a mix of metal and plastic.

Personally, I prefer to get fingers underneath a model.. Then you know it is supported, when lifting..
There is a fine detail on this loco and picking it up from underneath is not a good thing to do.

The drives are not the enclosed gearbox style of the normal LGB locos. The motor drives the jackshaft, and that in turn conveys motion to the wheels through the connecting rods. The axles are exposed and there is brake rigging detail running between them..

Note that the photo below was taken before the transit bolts were removed.

IMG_1934.jpg

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
May be worth having a chat with Chris from Locoboxes, they make bespoke boxes and, more pertinently, carrying/ lifting cradles
The product range looks good and very appropriate, but unfortunately they don't ship outside the UK.

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I know someone [not commercial] in Newcastle area, NSW who builds very solid timber carry cases for G1 locos. Postage may be an issue but worth a thought.
If anyone is interested maybe they could PM me and I will forward your details on to see if he can help.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I rather like the magnetic roof removal, makes getting inside so much easier. We all like a good look inside don't we?

AMuller396

Registered
29 Oct 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for this info. I recently ordered the 26601. Looking forward to it!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sprung buffers as well, very expensive beast but this has certainly placed the Crock into a different category. If I was into the RhB one would certainly be on my must have list. Though I may need to sell a body part to buy one!

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, thanks for this Software Tools. Nice to get a sneak peak of what's coming. Apparently my brown one is still hibernating in a container somewhere on the North Atlantic.;)