Hammond Carriages

E

Elmtree Line

I have had delivered this week a rake of the new Hammond Toys/Newqida Carraiges.

I have currently the blue and white DR versions with the new roof, this version is believed to be being produced exclusively for Hammond Toys. Model: 58072

A brief summary:

* After postage and customs charges each carriage works out at £50.
* You only get a hook n loop coupling on one end of the carriage
* The lettering print is much crisper than previous carriages by this manufacturer
* Blue and Orange "Train" boxes with incorrect product stickers are now being used
* The boxes are all now barcoded
* Scuffing of the plastics is much less than before but still evident on the roofs
* The carriages are spraypainted blue then white over, some blue shows through the white still
* The carriage end doors still have no handles on them
* Wheels are plastic and are not true
* Carriage undersides now have moulded into them "Newqida made in china"

There is no one else in the market selling carriages For £50 each. They are very good value for money.

If anyone would like me to go into further details or include pictures please say so :D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Some detail pictures would be great, Keith!

Jon.

E

Elmtree Line

So, as a follow up i should maybe mention that the carriages move very freely on the rails, the bogies seem to be made of a slightly better plastic too now. The interior seating is half blue and half black. The lightness of the blue is a very close match to the Piko diesel shunter i reviewed a few weeks ago, it is not quite as light as the pictures here show.

So anyway here are some pictures as requested:

5985066952_d14209ec9e_z.jpg

5985065088_3630e5e73f.jpg

5985059342_186cd2f7fe_z.jpg

5985062510_f571b3e94d_z.jpg

5985065904_1fba6d0e10_z.jpg

5985060824_2210c9ce7a_z.jpg

5985059970_d75e8fddee.jpg

Hope that helps people :D:D:D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent photos, Keith, thanks.
The quality certainly does look better than the early batches of solid-colour coaches, these look very nice and I'm quite tempted to get a rake of them before they sell out! :D

Jon.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Elmtree Line said:
I have had delivered this week a rake of the new Hammond Toys/Newqida Carraiges.

I have currently the blue and white DR versions with the new roof, this version is believed to be being produced exclusively for Hammond Toys. Model: 58072

Keith - very interesting review. Thanks. A couple of questions, if I may:
1) Is it the wheels which are not true or the axleboxes. Put another way, would substituting metal wheels as is my normal habit fix the problem?
2) One of your pictures suggests that the roof profile does not match that of the passenger compartment, leaving a gap. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Pics emailed to Paul

E

Elmtree Line

Whatlep Said....
Keith - very interesting review. Thanks. A couple of questions, if I may:

1) Is it the wheels which are not true or the axleboxes. Put another way, would substituting metal wheels as is my normal habit fix the problem? yes it would, a nice easy fix!

2) One of your pictures suggests that the roof profile does not match that of the passenger compartment, leaving a gap. Is that correct? As you can see in the picture, the black end moulding of the roof ends before the carriage end piece does, this is somewhat bizarre, it therefore only clips onto the side of the carriage in a couple of places and it not a mm tight fit, for accessing the carriage interior this is great but does leave that little gap, that glue would of course solve if you did want to remove it and didnt want access to the interior. It looks like the roof moulding was not made for the carriage but adapted from something else, what i'm not sure.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Elmtree Line said:
It looks like the roof moulding was not made for the carriage but adapted from something else, what i'm not sure.
I think the roof moulding has been specially made to deal with the saxon coach body's shallower profile roof so that it now matches the Harz ones. The gap looks tiny and I doubt it will be noticed on the railway.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
Elmtree Line said:
It looks like the roof moulding was not made for the carriage but adapted from something else, what i'm not sure.
I think the roof moulding has been specially made to deal with the saxon coach body's shallower profile roof so that it now matches the Harz ones. The gap looks tiny and I doubt it will be noticed on the railway.

As Phil says - the coach body is of a Saxon coach and has had a Harz roof added, which is more rounded.
The little slot, centrally at the top, originally had a securing screw fitted.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I am sure your correct stockers but i thought the slot was for wiring at least it appears to be on my DR coaches

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
A good review but i have just brough a load of the saxon versions just need collecting all eight of them:D:D

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
On my LGB DR coaches there is a screw in that position, in a hole not a slot. Not certain about the Saxon coaches as I dont have any (YET). The started set coaches do have a slot, as does the celestory DR coach.
9cdd913296cc4c1997115057f38b3f01.jpg

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
I acutally kind of like the blue and white scheme. Thanks for posting the pix!

E

Elmtree Line

Yes I have to say that they do look terrific, if not prototypical :D

Spule 4 said:
I acutally kind of like the blue and white scheme. Thanks for posting the pix!