H0 gauge European trams

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I have several H0 German style building which I would like to incorporate into a small tram layout.

I don't know whether I am able to build a motorised scheme or if it would be simpler just to have a static display.

Would members please offer me some advice on where maybe I should start.

Thank you.

SW

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure how often you get to Model Railway Shows and the like. But the Tramway and Light Railway Society Bi Monthly Magazine is a Tramway Modeling Mag as well. Would be a good starting place for inspiration. You ought to be able to pick some up cheep on Ebay. Mag called "Tramfare".

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have several H0 German style building which I would like to incorporate into a small tram layout.

I don't know whether I am able to build a motorised scheme or if it would be simpler just to have a static display.

Would members please offer me some advice on where maybe I should start.

Thank you.

SW

HAMO seem to be the go-to European streetcar people. But THE streetcar scene par excellence can be found in Japan, in both H0 and n scales. Here, Kato is king, with Tomy a close second. Every single thing you can imagine is availabe from both brands...from structures to school kids waiting to board.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have some of the Kato N gauge tramway track and it is good stuff!

I recommend Train Tracks for Kato. Excellent service....

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Kato only do N trams so not much use to Sarah ;) There are some nice HOe diecast Lisbon trams available already fitted with Kato N chassis on eBay, they could be used with the Kato track but the Tomix N single track is more suitable for an old style tramway as the Kato N stuff comes as double track only and with road markings.
Tillig do HO Tram track OO / HO Tram Track
There are working trams available from Leopold Halling, Roco and Hamo.
For static models - Atlas Editions trams are fairly common on eBay direct from China at good prices. Rietze also do some that can be motorised using Halling chassis.

The Combi tram in the background here is a HOm Rietze model with a Halling chassis.
A77D7374-748A-4375-9272-1597319ED9F6.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I must have missed these replies. Thank you for posting.

There was a 00 guage tram chassis advertised on ebay for £10.00 including p&p so I'm now waiting delivery. It should give me some assistance in deciding whether I want to pursue my thoughts and if the static models lend themselves to motorisation.

SW

David4870

Registered
8 Dec 2018
London NW7
Best answers
Except realistic or functional catenary alas. Anyone using Sommerfeldt or other make of overhead wiring?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Except realistic or functional catenary alas. Anyone using Sommerfeldt or other make of overhead wiring?
I used Somerfeldt Poles only on my Bemo Matre Gauge HO Exhibition Layout. For the wires I used fine section Steel Wire about the size used in Merco Control of old for points. Benefit of that was as it was Hard Steel Wire that came in 1 Yard Straight Lengths. So much easier to keep in place, neat and solder up. I found on seeing Layouts with Somerfeldt Wire that it was just too large and obtrusive, but very neat.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve seen quite a few tram layouts with fully functional catenary and trolley poles. The Sommerfeldt stuff isn’t much use for the UK street tramways but you could use it for a more rural tramway like the Hellingley Hospital one. I used the thicker Sommerfeldt catenary wire, for robustness, on my HO RhB layout and painted all the wire a grey green colour and it didn’t look too obtrusive. 41CE72BA-CA64-4B6C-9AF7-56B0C60AE932.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Might I offer a note of caution when buying chassis 2nd hand, or even new, derived from HOe and N chassis - pick ups. Ask/check that they are working, they can be troublesome at these sizes/ and scales, unlike the larger more robust items we are used to in the larger scales. I have been warned as part of my initiation on getting started in 009, which relies on similar sources for chassis, that you need to check that any pick ups are in fine fettle and working. Otherwise the hand of god may become your prime mover and frustration may ensue. Max