Simple Pot-Boiler scratchbuild Plans?

Benjamin Maggi

Model Railroading, Collecting/Playing Guitars, Boa
13 Nov 2009
New York State, USA
Best answers
I am interested in building a Gauge 1 live steam locomotive. I like British style trains, especially tank engines and tram engines, and having built some cars from scratch am looking for appropriate motive power. I have some machining experience, as I am also building a 7.25" gauge Allen Models mogul. However, I would like to try and build a small pot-boilered, alcohol fired engine for Gauge 1 track. It can be in the outline of a steam engine, or look like a steam tram. I don't care about the # of cylinders, nor do I even care about reversing ability. However, the ability to be able to throttle it down might be nice. I care most about it having a nice long run time (30 minutes+) and being able to haul maybe a car or two at the most.

The most important thing about it would be simplicity of construction. I have access to a small lathe, though using pre-machined parts like wheels and cylinders would be a definite plus. I don't want to buy a Ruby kit or a Roundhouse kit because they are more then I want to spend right now. Besides, I want to try and nickel and dime it over time, and be able to have something in the end that is uniquely my own.

Are you aware of plans out there that might fit my need? Do you have any advice, or thoughts, on the subject?

Benjamin Maggi

13 Nov 2009
New York State, USA
Best answers
Also, can anyone point me to a source where I can purchase Peter Jones' book: "First Steps in Building a Steam Loco?"

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Your query left me with a certain irony as I have the exact desire that you have. I am I guess lucky enough to have my own Live Steam locomotives, but there is bo substitute for building your own of anything. So to hep you there are 3 books that you could look for that should answer some of your needs.

- Top of the list would be the Garden Railway (Guide) No 4. First Steps in Building a Steam Locomotive Introducing Dacre by Peter Jones. This was publisheed by Brandbright so may still be available from them.

- Next would be Building Small Steam Locomotives again by Peter Jones ISBN 978 1 8479 029 9. This book is still available and goes from Misrt principles to Painting. So the lot is in here, at £25.00 not cheep but very good.

-Finally Marc Horavitz has done a book on Live Steam, published I believe by publishers. I cannot give you more details as it is at my Lady Friends house for reading when she watches some of the crummy soaps that she watches. in this book are pictures of some Steam trams that he built, simple ones that even his daughter of School age build a second one with Dad.

As for your build, would suggest that you look at Essell Engineering that do Wheels and even Chassis parts that save you doing this part. You could get a running chassis up and running for your steam add on bits with a screwdriver in around 5 minutes.

Here is his link:-
http://www.mattharvey.com/esselengineering/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=39&Itemid=62

Hope this helps, please post some pictures of your progress. Who knows you may even shame me into getting started.
JonD

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like I WAS BUSY ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION WHEN YOU ASKED IT! You could also try a book search on the net if Brandbright cannot help.
JonD

Benjamin Maggi

13 Nov 2009
New York State, USA
Best answers
I will try Brandbright. I know of Peter Jones' newer book, "Building Small Steam Locomotives," and while I bet it is an outstanding book I didn't know if it contained in a the complete Dacre series or just mentioned it. Reviews of the book make it out to be a comprehensive book on the subject of live steam, not one that is a complete builder's series/guide. Same with Marc Horovitz's book.

<p>Benjamin I strongly recommend you join <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Steammodelloco16mm/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Steammodelloco16mm/</a> and post your question on there. They do this sort of thing all the time and there are plans etc on their files section plus a whole load of people who have similar ideas to you along with loads of experience.</p><p>I doubt if they will hold your Gauge 1 intentions against you...</p><p> </p>

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Benjamin Maggi - 18/11/2009 12:24 PM

I will try Brandbright. I know of Peter Jones' newer book, "Building Small Steam Locomotives," and while I bet it is an outstanding book I didn't know if it contained in a the complete Dacre series or just mentioned it. Reviews of the book make it out to be a comprehensive book on the subject of live steam, not one that is a complete builder's series/guide.

That is how I would classify it. Not a fine detail, number by number, step by step, more of the theory and practice behind building one at each step, if that makes sense?

A really good book regardless, as in practice you need both.

Benjamin Maggi

13 Nov 2009
New York State, USA
Best answers
Could someone over the ocean give Brandbright a ring on the telly for me? I sent them an email but I am not sure if they received it. I would rather not call international to find out.
Thanks.
Ben

P.S. I will check out that yahoo group. Thanks for the link!

TrainLarry

Live Steam locomotives
21 Nov 2009
New York City
Best answers
There are a number of plans available for scratch-building a Gauge 1 engine. A detailed construction series with dimensioned drawings for a very solid propane fired 2-4-0 was given in Steam In The Garden magazine a number of years ago. See here for a few pictures and a review of it: http://www.sidestreetbannerworks.com/locos/loco46.html
Note the picture and review do not show the 2 wheel lead truck that is in the series of articles.
I have built and run this engine, and it is heavy, with a solid steel frame.
I just recently acquired from Brandbright the book "First Steps In Building A Steam Loco- Dacre"
and it does give step by step instructions for making various parts. Some parts, such as cylinders and boiler are no longer available for this loco, which is butane fired. There is a website which describes the building of a Home Made Dacre, with nice pictures and dialog.
http://home.claranet.nl/users/summer/16mmngm/Articles_htms/HMDacre.htm
Another builder has a website with a link to download the plans:
http://members.chello.nl/e.stroetinga/Dacre.htm
Note you need a free .dwg viewer like A9Cad to view and print these drawings. I am now gathering material to start building this locomotive.
I recommend also the Steammodelloco16mm group as there are plenty of photos and discussions
on building Dacre, and other scratch built locos, such as Brazil, Eric, Idris , and others.
Plans for building Brazil are here: http://trains.de.jardin.free.fr/minidampf/brazil_uk/contents.html
The website containing Idris is here: http://www.davewatkins.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/steam.htm
Scroll down, click on Idris, to go to the page with the plans.
Many plans, not enough time!

Larry

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Where are you Benjamin? if your in the USA I have a copy of the Dacre book you could borrow?.............Paul..............

Benjamin Maggi

13 Nov 2009
New York State, USA
Best answers
Larry,
The first link to the "robustly built" engine won't work for me, because I am hoping to utilize pre-fabricated components like drivers and cylinders. The other two links are extremely helpful, but I have already come across them. I also tried joining the 16mm steam locomotive group, but was politely informed that they didn't have plans for DACRE and that I might be mistaken on my intent to join them. Perhaps once the project is underway I will try again.

Minimans,
If you would drop me an email I would love to borrow/loan the book. I would gladly pay all postage and handling both ways. I am in the great state of NY. My email is:

BENLMAGGI@liamtoh.com (read "liamtoh" backwords to see my email...prevents spam).

Thanks all!