DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
The Groudle coaches made a public appearance at the National last Saturday, and can be seen in post #51: https://www.gscalecentral.net/threa...ow-peterborough-2021-whos-going.317011/page-3
Thanks for pointing them out, I have to say they do look rather nice.

The only other stock I have from the island just now is an MNR van that needs repaint in to MNR livery. Once I have the present projects cleared from the bench the next project will be some Groudley Glen coaches.

David

Last edited:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Northsider you have been inspiration indeed, having procured a 7/8ths scale model of Sea Lion I suppose it was inevitable that I would build some coaches at some point, after going through a couple of books I've decided to build 5 coaches representing the 5 main variants, okay a couple of the variants only had different valances but they are different enough for me.

Thank you for the off line assistance, its all been extremely useful, I'll post something to show what your inspiration has influenced once I have a bit of progress, thanks.

David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
That's the five roof valance variants made, they are all slightly over size to allow some trimming when I do the trial fit before painting and varnishing.

David

Attachments

• Groudle Glen Coach Valance.jpg
    Groudle Glen Coach Valance.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 0

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
A friend has drawn up and printed a Groudle Glen coach axle box, the ones being fitted to my coaches with have working springs but he thought he would give drawing and printing the springs a go.

GGR Coach Axle Box.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
A friend has drawn up and printed a Groudle Glen coach axle box, the ones being fitted to my coaches with have working springs but he thought he would give drawing and printing the springs a go.

View attachment 294538
Nice! Are they filament printed, or powder?

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice! Are they filament printed, or powder?
Patrick,

Neither, they are resin printed, I haven't seen them in person yet, but knowing who drew them I look forward to the axle boxes saving me an awful lot of work.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Patrick,

Neither, they are resin printed, I haven't seen them in person yet, but knowing who drew them I look forward to the axle boxes saving me an awful lot of work.
Ah -that's a new technology to me!

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Ah -that's a new technology to me!
In terms that I understand, the plate you see in the picture lowers down in to the resin, a laser then lasers from under the pot of resin which has a clear base and where the laser lasers the resin is hardened, or made solid on to the base which is actually above resin, the base goes up as the laser prints each layer a bit like filament printing.
I watch his printer print about 5 layers and could barely see it make any progress, but he did have the machine set to a high resolution.

I am by no means an expert so others may be able to give a better explanation.

Attachments

• IMG-20210830-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210830-WA0004.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In terms that I understand, the plate you see in the picture lowers down in to the resin, a laser then lasers from under the pot of resin which has a clear base and where the laser lasers the resin is hardened, or made solid on to the base which is actually above resin, the base goes up as the laser prints each layer a bit like filament printing.
I watch his printer print about 5 layers and could barely see it make any progress, but he did have the machine set to a high resolution.

I am by no means an expert so others may be able to give a better explanation.
Witchcraft if you ask me.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Witchcraft if you ask me.
I don't really worry too much about the trickery, I forward a sketch and when I visit with a suitable packet of biscuits I get bits to build models, a perfect relationship me thinks.

Here's a question to possibly start a new thread, is 3D printing scratch building? Theres something to ponder over.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a question to possibly start a new thread, is 3D printing scratch building? Theres something to ponder over.
It is an interesting point; I laser cut all the ply, MDF and styrene of my models, but I was initially quite reluctant to call them scratchbuilt as they didn't require hours with a sharp knife and steel rule. Self-fabricated kit builds, perhaps? With a catchy title like that I can't see why it won't catch on!