Groudle Glen coach

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I`ve just about completed a 7/8ths model of one of the Groudle Glen `toastrack` coaches, in advance of receiving an Accucraft `Sea Lion` locomotive, which is due later this year.

Toastrack 3.jpg

Toastrack 2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely detail - a good job on a nice kit.

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Now that´s very impressive. Had to blink to check that I wasn´t looking at the real Thing :eek:

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Lovely detail - a good job on a nice kit.

It isn't a kit -everything is scratchbuilt apart from the wheels and brake handwheels...

Reactions: 1 users

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hat's off here, superb coaches 8)

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed :D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I too had to look more than once to see that what I was looking at was a model and not the real thing. Even now I'm not convinced.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressed!

cbeckett

Osier & Woodhurst (UK), Gosnells Extension (OZ)
17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers
That is what I call scratching-building : at its' finest!

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
WOW !

Fantastic work!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just plain excellent,nothing else just excellent :)

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Any chance you have a drawing you could share and any info on how you built your coach.
I ask because I need to build my own, thanks.

David

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It isn't a kit -everything is scratchbuilt apart from the wheels and brake handwheels...
Even more impressed now I know this. Marvellous detailing and attention to detail

Rik

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Any chance you have a drawing you could share and any info on how you built your coach.
I ask because I need to build my own, thanks.

David
Somewhere I have a set of drawings that appeared in Narrow Gauge Times in the 1970's, and which moved from house to house as a 'one day' project. Then the day came...

If you are going to the NGRS in a few weeks' time I could give them to you there, and you could see the coaches in the flesh.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Even more impressed now I know this. Marvellous detailing and attention to detail

Rik
Praise indeed from you, Rik: thank you. Like many here, I have read your modelling write-ups in awe.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere I have a set of drawings that appeared in Narrow Gauge Times in the 1970's, and which moved from house to house as a 'one day' project. Then the day came...

If you are going to the NGRS in a few weeks' time I could give them to you there, and you could see the coaches in the flesh.
Thanks for the offer, unfortunately Peterborough is 7 hours each way which is a bit too far for 3 hours at a show. Hopefully next year well be able to spend more time enjoying the show.

I am sure we'd all enjoy so more photos of your coaches to drool over.

David

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
If I'm honest, they have been put away: I traded my live steam Sea Lion (looked beautiful, but was a tad smokebox heavy, and a bit frantic in operation) for a Caledonia eighteen months ago. I was never happy with the mix of scales, so something had to give. I've got four toastracks (three in running condition) and a couple of scratchbuilt 'new' bogie coaches, plus a scratchbuilt BEV loco. Maybe I'll run them again one day; but then again...

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
If I'm honest, they have been put away: I traded my live steam Sea Lion (looked beautiful, but was a tad smokebox heavy, and a bit frantic in operation) for a Caledonia eighteen months ago. I was never happy with the mix of scales, so something had to give. I've got four toastracks (three in running condition) and a couple of scratchbuilt 'new' bogie coaches, plus a scratchbuilt BEV loco. Maybe I'll run them again one day; but then again...
Was your Sea Lion manual or r/c controlled?

This'll be my first loco so I hope it isn't too frantic in operation.

I've seen a video of a Sea Lion at the head of a train of 15mm scale IoM coaches and it did look to out of place.
My chosen scale is 1:22.5 so I'm hoping Sea Lion will fit in with my growing collection.

I look forward to seeing some photos if you dig the coaches out for Peterborough.

David

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Was your Sea Lion manual or r/c controlled?

This'll be my first loco so I hope it isn't too frantic in operation.

I've seen a video of a Sea Lion at the head of a train of 15mm scale IoM coaches and it did look to out of place.
My chosen scale is 1:22.5 so I'm hoping Sea Lion will fit in with my growing collection.

I look forward to seeing some photos if you dig the coaches out for Peterborough.

David
She was two channel r/c; when I say frantic, it is probably more to do with the diameter of the driving wheels compared to my Accucraft Peveril.

I've found the box and had the new bogie coaches out this afternoon: I built them two/three years ago. I made everything except for the wheels; the contrasting panels are varnished MDF and sycamore veneer.

1623600323588.png

Hauled by a most unprototypical Tin Turtle:
1623600433367.png

1623600522450.png

Reactions: 1 user