Greetings from Massachusetts.

tedtherep

Registered
1 Apr 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm new to this forum, and looking forward to getting advice as I expand my outdoor layout. My new section is aimed at creating an old style Western logging operation. I have a pond at the base of a new 6' high mountain and will be putting in tunnels and trestles. I will also have an interchange with my diesel layout.
What I am looking for are ideas/plans for a sawmill, transfer area, mill pond, etrc. Been doing lots of research but looking for as much input as possible.
Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Ted.

Search for Beavercreek Railroad on this forum. Might be some ideas for you there....

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to this fine web page, but....as an added sourse of "Western Logging", you might check in at Large Scale Central, where there are a few modelers building/operating logging theme railways. Every evening at 19:00 your time, you might meet "Jim Rosome" on the chat on LSC...he has a fine logging railway that you can learn a lot from.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Ted. Lots of advice to be had on here, just beware of the bad jokes! When you say a new mountain, what is it academic (? How the hell does that come from "made from"? Who said predictive text is clever?)

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, may I suggest that you look at some issues of Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette, always plenty of inspiration for logging concepts that can be translated for the Garden. Some bookzines listed on their site as well.

Have a look at this link with some possible logging concepts.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ted welcome to the forum, we like lots of photos, and as already mentioned beware the bad jokes :)

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the Ted from South Easterm, MA? Welcome to the forum.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Ted..

Sounds like you already have a substantial railroad?

As others have said, we love pictures!

PhilP