Hi From Cowan, Tennessee

danielstp

Registered
25 May 2023
Cowan, TN
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,
I am new to the site and to G scale. When I was a kid my dad gave me his old O scale trains and track and I played a little around the Christmas tree for a while, but did not last for long. Now I have my sights on Garden trains. This is really a new venture for me. I am excited. I first ordered a starter set (USA train S4 set). Since I was born in Canada and grew up with CN Rail, I got excited when I saw a site with a SD40-2 Canadian National and went ahead and ordered it and just received it. I will start playing with it in my garage (we have a very large garage) to start with while we start organizing the site where I will be building the outdoor layout. This is a dream I did not even know I had until 2 years ago.
I also got an LGB Track Bumper with lights. I have never dealt with lighting before. There is a light with a wire with the bumper. To get power to the bulb, do I just connect it to the track or do I need something else to connect it to that would give it power? This is all new to me so I prefer to ask in this safe environment where people are patient with us newbies.
Looking forward to learning and having good conversations.

Daniel

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. Ref your question on lighting, if you're using DCC then yes you can take power from the track for the bumper light, although it is preferable to have a separate supply. If you're a DC analog user then you can't take power from the track. Some starter set controllers like from PIKO DC analog starter sets have an outout for track power and another for lighting.

danielstp

Registered
25 May 2023
Cowan, TN
Best answers
Country flag
got it, so I connect it on the 18 V. accessory connection of the power supply., I appreciate the answer.,

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Daniel. You'll have plenty of help on here, just beware of the humour! As for the light, I assume it's a filament one rather than n LED

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Daniel, amongst your planning if possible a station in the garage leading to the great outdoors is a very worthwhile thing to do. You can after a days running put stock into the garage for storage, expensive locomotives if you feel the need as I do can then be moved indoors. Have a look at my links below where you will see a vid (now somewhat out of date) and the build thread (blue text link) of my line which may give you some ideas.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Daniel welcome to the forum, lots of good advice, bad humour, but most important, please post photos of your trains and railway :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Daniel....

#1Photographer

Registered
13 Jan 2022
Louisville, TN
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Daniel from a fellow Tennessean. (Louisville)
You will find this site loaded with information and (when you ask) advise.
The Knoxville Area Model Railroaders is another G scale group you might want to look into.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Knoxville Area Model Railroaders are worth a visit, they are based in the Children's Museum at Oak Ridge. They open their doors to the public on the third Sunday of every month. As well as extensive indoor layouts, the have a large outdoor G Scale layout. I have visited a couple of times when staying with my family in Knoxville, I have found them to be a very welcoming and friendly bunch , the model railroaders that is, not my family.

G Scale at Oak Ridge

dig 190519025.JPG

David

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You can use the track power with DC to light the bumper light but you only get light with a train running. For DCC be careful as the LGB bumper comes with an 18 volt bulb and my system outputs 24 volts to the track thus a short bulb life.

#1Photographer

Registered
13 Jan 2022
Louisville, TN
Best answers
Country flag
The Knoxville Area Model Railroaders are worth a visit, they are based in the Children's Museum at Oak Ridge. They open their doors to the public on the third Sunday of every month. As well as extensive indoor layouts, the have a large outdoor G Scale layout. I have visited a couple of times when staying with my family in Knoxville, I have found them to be a very welcoming and friendly bunch , the model railroaders that is, not my family.

G Scale at Oak Ridge

View attachment 314064

David