Greetings all

jtilleyx

Registered
17 Jun 2020
Pa
Best answers
I have posted several times now, but just realized that I never took time to introduce myself. I apologize for that.

First and foremost, I want to sincerely thank everyone on here so far. Many of you have kindly offered advice, shared experiences, and made recommendations - all of which have been done with the upmost respect and decency - something not often found online these days.

Name is Jason - live in Pocono region of Pennsylvania (from Arkansas originally). I am entirely new to this "hobby" - not only 1st G scale garden train: will be 1st train of any size. I work with a gentleman that is a train fanatic - for some reason it amuses him that I am starting off by jumping straight into large scale. But, like many of you, he has been a wonderful help.

For right now, just looking for filling in a small area in front of house and entertaining our 1 year old son (and yes, myself as well). I hope that I am able to learn a lot from everyone on here and eventually grow to something much grander later. But most importantly, I am hoping to create something that my son and I can work on together in the future.

Again, a sincere thank you to everyone on here for the kindness you have shown. Looking forward to many conversations and getting to know you (if I don't drive everyone nuts with questions first)

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jason. Welcome from Northwest Florida - closer to New Orleans than Orlando! Beware the British banter (humour). I‘m a Brit too, so understand it, it’s friendly group. ...they do like their photos!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing wrong with starting with the big stuff, at least it's easier to see it!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the mad house Jason, very broad church on here. We do try to be nice but as ever the difference in language either side of the pond can sometimes be confusing. Particularly with railway terms, like you have switches we have points. You have caboose (is the collective noun for a lot of them cabeese?) we have brake vans and so the list goes on. Never mind many us us are bi-lingual so most things get resolved!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! A name!! ;)
Welcome Jason! I see where you are coming from with a railway to amuse your Son..

Have a look a 'Playmobil'. Just be aware there are smaller offerings (track-guage) but they have done G-scale in the past..
It is a little toy-like (for the real die-hards) but pretty much bomb-proof and child friendly.

With LGB as well, it is a good idea to limit the voltage to the track:
1. Teaches youngster's 'proper' train-speeds.
2. Fast enough to have fun, but slow enough it will not derail on the bends! :nod:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Good day Jason and welcome.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Jason and Jason son....

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Jason and Jason son....
Welcome! I have a six year old railway aficionado and a two year old who’s trying his best to catch up quickly. The two year old isn’t as careful with instructions (lol!) but most loves an old tank-like German LGB Stainz loco because the wheels actually turn when you push it, unlike the majority of G scale locos. It has shrugged off several accidental drops.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep - hi. Not sure if we're more mad than we used to be or less :think::think:

Some of us do American stuff

PICT0013.JPG

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009