Gordon or Henry

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
I know I'm probably taking a risk posting this here, as I would expect someone will have thought of this and Kindly (or not) point me to the 5000 posts that have already been made on the subject, but:

Has anyone considered kitbashing a Bachmann 4-6-0 either into a Henry or Gordon from the Thomas series? I have a little man who will be joining me in the Garden Railway hobby as soon as he starts talking (well, maybe a little later), and while I have already picked up a Bachmann Thomas and Percy, I really wouldn't think that going up to a Henry or even Gordon would be a terribly hard bash. I know he will appreciate it.

Now, I should qualify this by saying that I'm not a rivet counter, and I wouldn't bother with trying to get a great representation of an A3 Pacific valve gear just so I could model one of these (however, I do have a nice Bachmann ten wheeler with the metal Walschaerts valve gear which I would use). I simply would be looking to use the core gear, shorten the leading truck appropriately, and get it under a decent chassis with most focus on the body work to try to make the loco look the part.

So throwing caution to the wind - tell me what a dolt I am for suggesting this! Anyone seen it done?

Trent

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
I know I'm probably taking a risk posting this here, as I would expect someone will have thought of this and Kindly (or not) point me to the 5000 posts that have already been made on the subject, but:

Has anyone considered kitbashing a Bachmann 4-6-0 either into a Henry or Gordon from the Thomas series? I have a little man who will be joining me in the Garden Railway hobby as soon as he starts talking (well, maybe a little later), and while I have already picked up a Bachmann Thomas and Percy, I really wouldn't think that going up to a Henry or even Gordon would be a terribly hard bash. I know he will appreciate it.

Now, I should qualify this by saying that I'm not a rivet counter, and I wouldn't bother with trying to get a great representation of an A3 Pacific valve gear just so I could model one of these (however, I do have a nice Bachmann ten wheeler with the metal Walschaerts valve gear which I would use). I simply would be looking to use the core gear, shorten the leading truck appropriately, and get it under a decent chassis with most focus on the body work to try to make the loco look the part.

So throwing caution to the wind - tell me what a dolt I am for suggesting this! Anyone seen it done?

Trent
We can call you any sort of Dolt you like, especially as you've asked so nicely!:rofl::rofl: Although you'll probably get a good deal of help as well.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Trent
I’ve not considered either from a Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis, but I have built an Indian Metre gauge YP Pacific and a G2 4-6-0 using this running gear
I think the issue is what size the drivers scale out at compared with the respective notional prototypes
They might look better if built to gauge 1 proportions ie around 10 mm to foot?
Here’s a couple of pics of my Indian metre gauge adventures

Attachments

• ED23515D-B998-45F0-9958-C799ECBC3257.jpeg
    ED23515D-B998-45F0-9958-C799ECBC3257.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 90886F18-03B1-4A3B-BDD3-148B16B48171.jpeg
    90886F18-03B1-4A3B-BDD3-148B16B48171.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 0

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Not wanting to put you off a project but why not just add to the Bachmanns you have with a James and/or an Emily if you are wanting a larger loco?

Paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Trent
I think you will find the wheels to be a little small, why not think about a modified James.

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve not considered either from a Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis, but I have built an Indian Metre gauge YP Pacific and a G2 4-6-0 using this running gear
I think the issue is what size the drivers scale out at compared with the respective notional prototypes
They might look better if built to gauge 1 proportions ie around 10 mm to foot?
Here’s a couple of pics of my Indian metre gauge adventures

Flying 15 - Those are very interesting builds! Definitely gives me something to think about.

Paul - I could easily go for James or Emily, but anyone can buy those!

Jon D - great point on the driving wheel diameter. I'll have to take a look at what I have in the scrap bin. My goal was to NOT go spend $250 on a new James (the only used James locos I have seen are the truly crap Lionel version). I can't readily find a diameter on the Bachmann James wheels, so not sure how much better they are than the 4-6-0. However, I could turn new ones to whatever diameter I wanted, and then perhaps mount a 3D printed spoke pattern on the front to cover what would be rough hogging out of the wheels behind. Hmmmm.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wat about the (horrible) Hogwarts Express loco - it was a GWR prototype so it will look more like a UK engine?

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I think Thomas and James’s use the same motor block, just somewhat different bodies, this might help you decide what to do,

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Trent
Your thread suggestion of building A representation of Gordon from a Bachmann Annie might have some possibilities if you accept the undersized wheels
Here are some pics of my almost finished Romney Hythe 4-8-2 based on a lengthened Annie Chassis
As a 4-6-2 the boiler would obviously be around one ring shorter, but otherwise the proportions would be much as shewn here176460FB-28E0-4F9F-B4C7-7EF790DB20C5.jpeg214D4CAF-1CE8-4A18-8F03-5A26A8F6A5E1.jpeg

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Best answers
Country flag
Oh wow - that’s an impressive build! I’m going to have to study your photos closely!

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Why not use the Aristocraft Pacific?

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Here are some pics of my almost finished Romney Hythe 4-8-2 based on a lengthened Annie Chassis
Not trying to change the subject but what scale is that? I never heard of G16.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Not trying to change the subject but what scale is that? I never heard of G16.
The Romney loco is proportioned to match my other locos that are around 1/24 scale
But they are based on full sized Locos
The Romney loco really runs on 15” gauge track and is approx 1/3rd full size above the frames and Approx. 1/4 below the running plate
So I guess that means my attempt at modelling an RHDR loco is actually around 36mm to the foot or a tad under 1/8th scale
On the G16 assume you are referring to one of my builds in another thread They were built in the early 1920s for shunting the LSWR s yards which included a hump arrangement at Feltham in SW London
They all went for scrap in the early 1960s following g replacement by the dreaded diesels
You can find images of the real thing via the usual Search tools

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
1/8th scale. Or 1 1/2 inch scale, as the ride-on guys call it. Beautiful job. Not quite Henry though

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Just had another look, I really, really like the colour. in my view dark blue engines always seem better looking than green or black, (as I said my view, others will disagree)

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Just had another look, I really, really like the colour. in my view dark blue engines always seem better looking than green or black, (as I said my view, others will disagree)
Hi Paul
The loco is in the darker Caledonian Rly blue which was I think used for that companies goods engines
It’s pretty similar to the Great Eastern Railways blue
I like a range of colours on my Locos as I’m not attempting to model a particular company or location etc and just enjoy the process of building locos that if ever we get back to doing exhibitions/shows will appear at Crib Lane loco depot5C23BCE7-F611-4EA3-8482-CF33295F7BB4.jpeg34E50776-2439-4FE2-AED3-092E73D61863.jpeg67F8CD9B-4472-4C1E-8BA4-2A12FFDEA85E.jpeg