Good day all, be kind im new !

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All

Great forum and loads of info thanks, had my garden layout for a few years now . I was helping to store my dads LGB stuff while he moved house and somehow a few bits of rail / bridges and the odd loco went missing !!!! but was found safe and well as a new layout in my own garden !!! abite 1/6th the size of his layouts. He didnt miss anything and he let me have his hamburg tram set to play around with.

I moved onto building a mamod two years ago which was fun and converting this to gas, it goes a stink and is too fast for my small loop layout. Live steam in Mamod is a great starter but dont think i will go anyfurther then this as i work quite hard and need more plug and play !

Im now currently in the Mancave at weekend when not in the caravan converting the Hamburg tram to a GREAT ORME tram (no 7), im changing this to RC (deltang) thanks to Riks blog and Phil at RC Trains and about to respray to dark blue and apply some new decals (im a printer by trade so no bother i hope)

Just back from holiday in Austria/Bavaria and inspired to build a copy of the Zugspitze railway if i can get hold of the blue LGB set (it seams to be a rear find) at somepoint, if anyone know of one forsale do please let me know (its lgb 70246). I have the cable car prepared for the Austrian side of the mountain... see attached picture
ZUGSPITZE CABLE CAR.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Richard!

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
welcome aboard.
Sound though you have made a grand start.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the Great Orme is a rarity in model form :clap::clap::clap:

Welcome, and looking forward to the updates :nod::nod:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Richard..

Funny things happen here, with the occasional sensible answer to questions thrown-in! ;)

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Welcome to the Forum Richard..

the occasional sensible answer to questions thrown-in! ;)

Missed that!

Like the cable car

Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Missed that!

Like the cable car

Hi Frank, Yes it was purchased while all giddy at 2500m on the Zugspitze, its a Jagerndorfer 1:32 scale with a little hand crack to operate it. even my wife likes it (i have caught her having a go while my back was turned) which must say something ! Our caravan campsite was next to the bottom station so watched it going up all week and just had to have my own for £30... here is a picture of the real thing taken from my awning ! hee hee

IMG_0256.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, to a very kind and civil forum!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Richard, you'll be scaling new heights on this forum!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
A printer? In a previous life I worked on various machines but most of the time on Heidelberg GTO 46 & 52np tiddlers and a Roland R202 - which finally ruined my back. Oh well, I had to settle for being a publican. :rolleyes:
Like the mountain and cable car. It needs a rack railway though... :nod:

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
A printer? In a previous life I worked on various machines but most of the time on Heidelberg GTO 46 & 52np tiddlers and a Roland R202 - which finally ruined my back. Oh well, I had to settle for being a publican. :rolleyes:
Like the mountain and cable car. It needs a rack railway though... :nod:
Heidelbergs are real mans printers I'm in the fabric game and large format sublimation.

Reactions: 1 users

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Egads....a fellow "Printer"
I retired from the printing trade back in '98. I was employed as a lithographer/printer, working on large business form presses...up to 6 units, roll to roll, or role to folder. Ashtons and Hamiltons...even a Timpson...!! 35 years of shift work...
Now I'm seriously obsessed with my life-long hobby of model railroading...and still growing along with the hobby. Of course the enjoyment of the odd Single Malt Whisky, does broaden my interests on occasion, along with great friends who join with me, to operate the railroad every Saturday morning, weather permitting.
I'm rather new here too, but am on LSC often.
Fred Mills

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Richard. Re your Mamod, in the early days some have converted them to a Geared Drive Locomby using the Pistons to make a sort of Steam Motor. Rebuild is quite drastic and a sort of Steam Tram Loco or Sentinel emerges. Running is certainly tamed though. Articles in old issues of 16mm Society Mag might give you inspiration. In trith most live steam locomotives are pretty difficult to tame, but any that have geared drive work well, Peter Angus Locomotives being a case in point. Some Rounhpdhouse Locomotive can have a SloMo retrofitted by the owner and this really tames the beast.

http://smallsteamperformance.com.au

This link below shows what can be done with a Flywheel and some work to a Mamod Traction Engine. Similar works with Gears and a Flywheel can change the Mamod Track Powered Steam Loco. The running is completely transformed:-

JonD

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the mad house Richard

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Richard.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum mate....