Going to try first time battery using Aristo revolution system, any advice on the batterie

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am just about at the end of build for my latest project "The Coffee Stirer Express" it is basically an RHB Electric Baggage car made almost exclusively with Coffee Stirers and assumed to be Diesel Powered. I have gone down the same route of Control as my previous items with the exception of sound ( Aristo as you are using). Here for sound I have used a Phoenix Galloping Goose Card from Garden Railway Centres in Cheltenham. I had spent many hours wondering where I could get a Pheonix within UK and just noticed in one of his adds in Garden Rail that he kept them. My battery charger is a "Smart Charger" from Peter Spoerer, I am very happy with this. Thus on my 3 items of rolling stock I now have 3 different Diesel Sound Systems:-

Brian Jones - Great Sound but needed a relay fitting to get the Horn Working with Aristo.

Phoenix - Good Sound but still need to work out how to get the Reving function working via .
Aristo.

My Loco Sound - OK but I am not sure that Synthesized Sound is for me. I also have a Steam Sound from this source and the same comments apply.

Hope this adds to the debate,

JonD

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg
Many thanks for the full info, it has given me a very good background for working out what power and type of cell package I will need. I will have a look for the German hobbyking outlet as well .........Now where is my ammeter?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Thus on my 3 items of rolling stock I now have 3 different Diesel Sound Systems:-

Brian Jones - Great Sound but needed a relay fitting to get the Horn Working with Aristo.

Phoenix - Good Sound but still need to work out how to get the Reving function working via .
Aristo.

My Loco Sound - OK but I am not sure that Synthesized Sound is for me. I also have a Steam Sound from this source and the same comments apply.

Hope this adds to the debate,

JonD
Hi Jon

I also use quite a range of sound units; phoenix, soundtraxx, Massoth, QSI, LGB and one PH Hobbies. The GP30 that will be the first loco to be 'batterised' has a phoenix sound (2K2) system already with lights and smoke.
I have got a pdf that shows how to attach up the Phoenix card to the Revo so hopefully that will help there. Looking forwards to getting this one done!
As it will have a track/battery power switch, the loco will still be able to be used when I run it in a lash up with the others on trackpower days. Same will go for the motorised stockcar and the other trailing car, for which I have not decided whether to go for a passeneger car or freight.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
The Revolution was designed to run on battery power, the USA bods use allsorts from packs from cordless drills to NiMH. If you use track power then you may find that you will need to invest in a capacitor unit that plugs into the board on the loco. This makes a significant difference to the running and opertaing potential

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Bram said:
The Revolution was designed to run on battery power, the USA bods use allsorts from packs from cordless drills to NiMH. If you use track power then you may find that you will need to invest in a capacitor unit that plugs into the board on the loco. This makes a significant difference to the running and opertaing potential
Hi Bram, thanks for the tip
I already have three on order, although I was thinking of making them like the sound back-up capacitors design that Neil posted some time back. But I decided to go with the ready made variety this time.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
mine is running on 12 volts recharge drill battery for my steam locos tht been run over 3 hours.....of course fitted with 1 amp car fuse in case aslo toggle switch for on and off without speed controller....
but no circuat board on it as i took it off......