Getting it to look real - Again!

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
After seeing all these briliant Pics i thought i would have a go , very much a point and aim here ..............

6d62bbc1e1a047848308a19490766a09.jpg

Cobra and cottage

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
If you take a look at picture no. 41 there is no chance of this looking remotely real with one man standing in what look like a large pile of something very smelly!

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
Camera lenses used to be helpfully marked with the depth of field for a given f (aperture) value. You could simple set infinity (or the furthest or nearest point that you wished to be in focus - measured accurately with a tape measure) at the f stop mark and could then read the depth of field that provided against the opposite f value on the lens barrel. Long duration of exposure coupled with the lens fully stopped down (to the highest f number available) is the order of the day and even then, if the loco is close, you may still not be able to obtain full depth of field.

And now for a couple of old favourites from the defunct Bredebahn.....

e39e8a90d4bf4a18abf15170787b6700.jpg

f2e0013a51f946ffb92090c114a50cf8.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Sometimes a shallow depth of field is useful to emphasise one aspect of the photo. In this case the loco is sharp and the background and foreground is 'soft':

3dc2df5f634d4e7f9f38d133457f70da.jpg

It may take several attempts to get the plane of focus correct, its worthwhile taking several pictures, each with the plane of focus at a slightly different distance from the camera.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
And now for a couple of old favourites from the defunct Bredebahn

Now you mention it - what is happening on the new Bredebahn?

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
55.5 said:
Mike,

Your comments led me to try out my Nikon D5000 again. Went on to Aperture setting at f22, went on to self timer. Zilch!

I get consistently better results with my cheapie bridge cameras.

In fact any aspiring photo buff with a grand to spare can relieve me of it together with the basic and an 18-200 telephoto lens, even open to offers!

Its the "smallness" of the subject over the distance which makes it a problem.

Dont give up.
Have you a smaller lens!

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Have you a smaller lens?

Bredebahn

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Chris M said:
And now for a couple of old favourites from the defunct Bredebahn

Now you mention it - what is happening on the new Bredebahn?

Hi Chris - answer is not a lot! However we're about to commence (August) an extension to the new abode which will yield up a few hundred feet of almost new (and good quality) decking which I am planning to use for the BredeOstBahn. New route hasn't yet been planned as although I have acres of space (literally!) the whole site slopes in various directions - still I guess the builders of the Swiss and Austrian railways could also have said that at the outset! I want a fair proportion of the new line at waist level (we aren't getting any younger and one lesson I learned from the old Bredebahn is that ground level = high maintenance. Not that there will be no line at ground level, the scenic opportunities are best there. Still at very early planning stage and one option may be an end to end railway built to operate rather than sit back and watch. And it will remain analogue with fully wired sections - I have still not been convinced of the benefits of digital after all these years!

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Look forward to seeing some photos next year then.

Still at very early planning stage and one option may be an end to end railway built to operate rather than sit back and watch

This is always a difficult one. End to end is best for operation but no good of you want to have trains running while you mow the lawn/ have a quiet drink with SWMBO while putting the world right/ have a barbequeue. I tried end to end but soon went back to being able to let em run. I guess the ideal is a line which allows both.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
When is the working party day John. The Amish are waiting!

Bredebahn

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Chris M said:
Look forward to seeing some photos next year then.

Still at very early planning stage and one option may be an end to end railway built to operate rather than sit back and watch

This is always a difficult one. End to end is best for operation but no good of you want to have trains running while you mow the lawn/ have a quiet drink with SWMBO while putting the world right/ have a barbequeue. I tried end to end but soon went back to being able to let em run. I guess the ideal is a line which allows both.

I know exactly what you mean - the old Bredebahn was designed as a continuous run, but with end to end built in - I suspect that the new BredeOstBahn will be the reverse of this being designed as an end-to-end, but with a continuous run built in. In other words rather than a loop with bits sprouting off, it'll be an end to end line with a loop sprouting off (please excuse technical terminology!).

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
What's this ? Bredebahn is going Belgian outline?
Brussels....sprouts.....geddit? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I need a holiday :impatient:

Bredebahn

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Oh, I'm looking at rebuilding the old Bredebahn, but I'm also looking at a 5" gauge 250m run line as well - just can't be sure that I can justify the cost (though it's interesting that the cost of 5/8" rail, fishplates, and sleepers (not including ballast) works out at £13.80 a metre, which is now cheaper than G scale track!. A complete 2 car DMU with 4 motors can also be acquired new for about £1500 - again for a train exceeding 3m in length which carries half a dozen real passengers this also compares exceedingly well with G! Very little available secondhand though - unless someone knows better.........

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Smoke is a good prop .....

image.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Is Personal
24 Oct 2009
Darlington
Best answers
Gosh! Did I really have all that stuff?

Down to a Forney, a Stainz and a 3 car LCE2 (borrowed from my grandson who has lost interest) now.
Still keeping the hand in though.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Sunlight - time of day is everything.

image.jpeg

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to do most night shots with my phone now....

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 4

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
One of those mini tripods is worthwhile to take low level shots.

image.jpeg