Getting it to look real - Again!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Picture 3 is the best one as it is tight in and blocks the view of all that oversize stuff in the background of the others. A problem with trying to create a "real" looking image is the plastic little people! they never seem to look right, even in Photo's real people never look as fixed and wooden as plastic ones do. However the Nicki Frank s looks superb in all shot's.............Paul...........

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I spray eveything I've got (trainwise :D ) with matt varnish because I hate the plastic semi-gloss sheen. This would help a lot without going down the worrying 'should I weather my expensive locos' road.
Get rid of the Playmobil characters.
The rest looks acceptable although I'm not sure why the kid in the first photo is goosing the woman :rofl:
N.B. plastic bases to figures: if possible buy with no base and glue them to thin transparent plastic, or if they came with bases paint the base the same as that that the figure is going to stand on. I go for the former option myself. :clap:
Otherwise it looks to me like you are on the right road. :D

Dennis Paulson

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Chandler , Indiana USA
Best answers
My vote is number 3 ,followed by number 1 , as the most real looking ahot .
Keep them comeing , nice photos

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
No 3 for sure....

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
55.5 said:
Dennis Paulson said:
My vote is number 3 ,followed by number 1 , as the most real looking ahot .
Keep them comeing , nice photos

How about this one then?
Another good one but look at the background? lots of "extra" stuff that leads the eye away from the subject, My old Photo teacher used to say that the background of the shot is at least as important as the subject..................But a fine looking Amtrack, is it running late like it should be?????

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
My vote goes to number three.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Although the photos are nice all of the locos and stock need a little light weathering to look convincing. Even very clean locos have a bit of grime here and there. The point motor and over size rail are also a problem areas for my eyes.

I'm not being elitist here and will freely admit that most of my stock is unweathered and I use the same profile track.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Chris M said:
Although the photos are nice all of the locos and stock need a little light weathering to look convincing. Even very clean locos have a bit of grime here and there. The point motor and over size rail are also a problem areas for my eyes.

I think you have a point (pun intended) also the rad of the curve gives it away

Also we are so used to seeing quickly taken photos of the real thing that are rarly totaly in focus with dodgy light levels Tony

2010_0407Rake__.jpg
"

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Now those are good. nice detail and no extraneus over scale detail, as to the "Oversize rail" I think if it's well ballasted as here then it doesn't really notice anyway, besides if you look at American main line rail then it doesn't look over scale at all!!

I enjoy working on a couple of areas of my railway to make them more photogenic. Long way to go yet, plenty of ideas.

Here is my Otto-based Hunslet at Short Wood Crossing

IMG_9941.JPG

Another view of the same area

IMG_9949.JPG

The fence posts are the latest addition but I've decided they need wire now.

Reactions: 2 users

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
johnsaintjim said:
I enjoy working on a couple of areas of my railway to make them more photogenic. Long way to go yet, plenty of ideas.

Here is my Otto-based Hunslet at Short Wood Crossing

IMG_9941.JPG

Another view of the same area

IMG_9949.JPG

The fence posts are the latest addition but I've decided they need wire now.

Brilliant.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
jstj-wonderful and and inspiration-hard to believe that loco is an otto and not a lovingly restored 1:1

55.5-youre getting it!-i enjoy your photos of your trains- i see them as 'real' model trains-some of the angles and shots are super-i too like #3-and while i love the bright blue frank s-its bright blue-i love stock lgbs-and most of mine is stock-i like the unnatural contrast agasint the garden plants-mostly - i agreee its the background detail that is inconsitent-the blue frank would look great next to the platform sans figures-

-but i deeply believe that subtle dull(ed) colours do present something more realistic-

figures in stances of repose -sitting , leaning, seem to be most convincing rather than stop action mid flight-poses

and FIWI -the Genny has great lights-worth repairing if you can-if not-there are after market leds that could bypass everything and go directly to track power and would fit into the existing light spaces without cutting-
and can be directional-those bright lights are one of the features that i found so enjoyable (if not prototypical white) on the loco -entire countryside will light up when they do-and the number boards also light on that loco -under the opaque silver applied numbers on the rear of the loco  

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
I too vote for 3, then 1
And I agree with most points (pun and all) raised.

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
55.5 said:
Thank goodness though for digital cameras! I dont think one could afford to run a Garden Railway and take photographs of it on film!!!!!
Certainly not :)

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
silk purse or sows ear-it think not-i think we all find what we like-

i actually find model trains in the garden to be also intriguing-often its about detail more than prototype-giving the 'feel' of a real rr -albeit "Lionel Lines' or Lake George and Boulder-stuff like fences and lights and things that seem to fit and be harmonious rather than dead real-i see old tinplate trains with stations, order boards, lamps, ticket booths, over passes-and despite ebing tinplate-they have a complete and harmonious charm while still obviously toys-have yet to figure it myself  

i approach lgb with a huge amount of leeway-i dont care if liveries match or rr names-i dont do the rivet /scale thing-because with lgb its often not there to begin with-and to be honest i gave up fretting over all the things that werent right -i accept my chartreuse tank car and pink and silver box car!

and i dont want to paint over things i like in their own right-other things i have painted-and i really like them as well

chalks my boy !!!-they are your road to enlightenment!!!!-truly you can weather the heck out something-and then rinse it off like new-just in case, like me, you are torn  

Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
bright and shiny and not so real-but still fun to see

always fun to look at others' pics 
so ...
Captured2009-7-1300087.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
pic with house and brick
porterfranks2008-12-2500032.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
  and one without bricks in background-dull winter colors in Colorado 
(this was a temporary extension into the lavender planter-last year-no ballast or anything-had ideas of making it 'south of the boarder' as its rather stark and very sunny -swmbo has since planted it rather densely and again thwarted my plans to incorporate this 100 foot long side garden-now that house is being destroyed as i type-ill starat over entirely next season
porterfranks2008-12-2500036.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
heres one from a long time ago-a rather large 'planter' in front of the switch tower i notice-as well as huge debris on the ground, and an unusual looking 'flat car' -no peeps on the platform or anywhere else-like a sci fi movie 
gardentrains22006-5-2300015.jpg