Gaugemaster controller not controlling?

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
East Anglia, 32A Norwich.
Best answers
Gents,
Some time ago I bought off evil bay a Gaugemaster 5 amp controller, oldish but working fine.
It blew the protection fuse after a derailment, but now, after fitting a new fuse, it supplies power, but no control.
As soon as you select either forward or reverse, you get full power, the control potentiometer does absolutely nothing.
Any ideas?
Should I send it to Gaugemater?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
alec dawe said:
Should I send it to Gaugemater?
I would, but I'd first confirm with them that their usual lifetime warranty applies to the unit in question.

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
They will usally honour warrenty even if you not original owner, ring them explain and see they very gd, never had G scale controllers from them, but loads when used to model N gauge

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Worth sending them an e-mail Alec.

I've had one repaired by them....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Me too, their service appears to be better than their products sometimes. Having said that I would (and probably will have to) buy one of their new 5 amp controllers.

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
sent one back 3 months ago soon fixed downside is the £9 00 postage to send it

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
mole said:
sent one back 3 months ago soon fixed downside is the £9 00 postage to send it
Shows how they work, that one Chris bought from me and it was second hand when I had it. Good service but as Chris says postage is a bit pricey.

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
When I've had a G/master controller fault, I've returned it to their stand at an exhibition..thus saving postage! And the returned product has been shipped back to me normally within 10 days. Great service!
They are at the NEC in November if you can wait that long! Maybe other shows before then( Hornby, P'boro? ), might be worth checking their website

Or you could always take it to their shop...admittedly a long journey for some. And tempting items on display...

malcolm

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
Best answers
Emailed them.
Seems its a very old model, but will repair for £15.00 plus postage! I wonder if its worth drilling out the rivets and looking at it myself!

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
By your description of the fault, it may be that the power transistor has failed 'short', so it passes full power to the track at all times...

Cost of a suitable replacement, around £2.....if that fixes the fault..
Not having seen inside a sealed g/master unit, I would guess it's a plastic bodied power transistor of the T05/T0220 style, maybe a 2N3055, rather then the metal cased T03 style

Against £15 plus £9 postage for g/master repair...

Your call...

Malcolm

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
Best answers
Once back from holliers, I think a little very careful surgery might be in order.
Any idea who might supply the power transistor? Maplins?

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
As documented previously I had one that failed following a derailment, I sent it back and they repaired it and returned it covering the return postage themselves, great until the fault reoccurred following another minor derailment ( caused by wind blown debris ) I subsequently purchased a new controller from Helmsman :love:

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
Best answers
Thanks Garry,
If the 'home repair' doesn't come up to scratch, I'll be either looking at battery power, or Helmsman.