Gauge 3 'Cauliflower ' project

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Eight of these delightful LNWR 18" goods engines have been, or are being made for Gauge 3 members.
This is one of the early production coal fired versions on only it's second run.
Engineering excellence to be enjoyed by a lucky few!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
That is one fine-looking locomotive from a bygone era! I'm very taken with pre-Edwardian British railway locomotives - the colours of the many different companies and the sheer gracefulness of their locomotives in motion.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I'll bite...

Why 'Cauliflower'? :think:

Nice loco! :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I'll bite...

Why 'Cauliflower'? :think:

Nice loco! :)
I never knew, I had to ask Wiki

They were also known officially as the Express Goods 5ft 0in, and unofficially as the Crested Goods or Cauliflower Class, due to the application of the large LNWR crest on the middle splasher in the original livery.[2

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The LNWR company crest on the centre splashers bears a remarkable similarity to a cauliflower, it is said.

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Remember that this is Gauge 3 - that loco is a hefty girt lump of metal, prolly weighing around 15 pounds or more. That alone would almost guarantee smooth-running.
Tac I'm running short of charcoal which I use to get the fire going 'pre-anthracite' Any info on current suppliers?
It must be in small pieces. I gave up banging the large BBQ stuff with a hammer many years ago!
Regards Trevor

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
You could try Chris Moodie at Loco-Box. He used to run Ttareg Shed, the modular layout for Garratt owners, and owner of a number of coal-fired B-Gs. Whinemeal, I'll ask around my group.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Confirmed that Chris Moodie is your man. He is based well off the beaten track in rural Cambridgeshire, just outside Waterbeach. A 4X4 is a good idea to reach him if you go collect. A call and paying the shipping is easier on the undercarriage of the car.

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Confirmed that Chris Moodie is your man. He is based well off the beaten track in rural Cambridgeshire, just outside Waterbeach. A 4X4 is a good idea to reach him if you go collect. A call and paying the shipping is easier on the undercarriage of the car.
Hi Terry I assume you mean Chris Moody Any chance of you getting some for me.
I have tried him in the past and he always seems too busy to call me back!!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Moodie Schmoodie - I'l give him a call in the morning, OK?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Trevor, Chris has around a ton of suitable charcoal in good-sized packages. Sadly I'm not driving around right now, having had more surgery last Monday - a bit of a surprise, to say the least, but he's promised to drop some off next time he passes our house, although that won't be until June 18th. If you are in no rush I could get it and meet with you up at Wansford?

Please let me know.

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Trevor, Chris has around a ton of suitable charcoal in good-sized packages. Sadly I'm not driving around right now, having had more surgery last Monday - a bit of a surprise, to say the least, but he's promised to drop some off next time he passes our house, although that won't be until June 18th. If you are in no rush I could get it and meet with you up at Wansford?

Please let me know.
Thanks Terry, That would be nice. I don't mind waiting as I still have a little (not much, left from my old stock! Regards Trevor

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'kay. That's the way we'll do it then. I'll have the leek and potato soup, thanks. :)