G1 Thomas the tank engine

WhitehouseFilms

Registered
5 Aug 2018
UK
Best answers
Many thanks.
So this afternoon I started work on painting the footplate on Thomas. For a change I decided to paint it black instead of grey as it makes him look a lot better. I used quick drying warhammer sprays for this as the finish turns out really well. While I was waiting I also took the time to touch up the smoke box as there was some marks that needed touching up. Just the motor block and wheels to do next.
20180809_212009.jpg
20180809_212013.jpg
20180809_212021.jpg
Out of interest are there any other comparable wheel sets that can work with this motor block? It's just that the smokes don't look right to me. I could try the PIKO Mogul type wheels but this would only raise the model up and would put the buffer level out of alignment. Any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks.
So this afternoon I started work on painting the footplate on Thomas. For a change I decided to paint it black instead of grey as it makes him look a lot better. I used quick drying warhammer sprays for this as the finish turns out really well. While I was waiting I also took the time to touch up the smoke box as there was some marks that needed touching up. Just the motor block and wheels to do next.
View attachment 241714
View attachment 241715
View attachment 241716
Out of interest are there any other comparable wheel sets that can work with this motor block? It's just that the smokes don't look right to me. I could try the PIKO Mogul type wheels but this would only raise the model up and would put the buffer level out of alignment. Any suggestions?
Hm if you think the wheels are a little small perhaps the LGB US Mogul (2-6-0 tender lok if you did not know) may work for a larger size. But then would the block fit in the Body? Probably need to see one at close up to see the options.

Alan B

3D printer/maker trains motor bikes BMW
6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice Build Michael youve given me ideas about a Thomas of my own I did build a Toby at the late last year and Ive always wanted a Thomas for the Grand kids I will however do mine as Battery is the body you used hard to come by I haven't seen many here.
Here is a picture of my TobyDSC_1334.jpg

WhitehouseFilms

Registered
5 Aug 2018
UK
Best answers
Hi Alan. Nice Toby Model you have. I might see about making one as well to go with Thomas. Thomas's Body is from the old ERTL RC set but you can still get the body off eBay if you look carefully. They aren't actually that expensive either. Mine only cost me £1. Heres a link to one incase you want to get one for your model. LARGE 26CM PLASTIC ERTL THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE 1985 | eBay

Not a lot left to do on Thomas so I should have him finished tomorrow evening. Pics to follow soon.

WhitehouseFilms

Registered
5 Aug 2018
UK
Best answers
Hello folks, Sorry for the lack of updates with this build so I thought I'd give you a heads up on what's happening. Thomas's wheels have now been painted and side rods have been fitted. There's just the decoder to sort out and that's him ready to roll. I'm still a bit new to the LGB MTS system, whats the best decoder to fit the PIKO chassis? LGB have two types of plug-in decoders but I'm not fully sure which to go for, can I have some assistance with this? I've also contacted a friend who says she will be able to get some G1 LB&SCR 4 wheel coach kits made for me to represent Thomas loyal coaches, Annie and Clarabel. I've also got some Tenmille wagons for him to pull as well but will need to see about getting a brake van at some point.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I would suggest a Massoth L decoder. Cheaper than the LGB equivalent.