1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Care to divulge where?
Replied to in a separate thread I found after post my query above.

David

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Found this link tonight
I found using chrome I had the option to view the page in english which was useful and saved a lot of faff translating things.

David

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that link!

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that link!
Their are models out there the problem is finding them, I thought this one especially worth sharing because the website suggests they are happy to supply bits from kits, which is always handy.

Does anyone else have any suppliers of kits n bits?

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Their are models out there the problem is finding them, I thought this one especially worth sharing because the website suggests they are happy to supply bits from kits, which is always handy.

Does anyone else have any suppliers of kits n bits?

David
I think it may be worth your while to consider joining the ‘Tramway and Light Railway Society‘, their Magazine “Tramfare” is worth the membership in its own having many good articles and how to in many scales. A friend sometimes passes copies on to me and the one I have next to me is 293 dated Nov/Dec 2016 with an article of a 1:16 Garden Tramway. The Website lists traders with a section on Large Scale which may be a help. But many other traders are listed. Have a brows through the link below:-

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I think it may be worth your while to consider joining the ‘Tramway and Light Railway Society‘, their Magazine “Tramfare” is worth the membership in its own having many good articles and how to in many scales. A friend sometimes passes copies on to me and the one I have next to me is 293 dated Nov/Dec 2016 with an article of a 1:16 Garden Tramway. The Website lists traders with a section on Large Scale which may be a help. But many other traders are listed. Have a brows through the link below:-

That is definitely a good resource reference, for reasons I'm not raising here, the TLRS is no longer accessible via this web site.

There are always wee cottage businesses that are useful to be aware of that unfortunately don't advertise and we only find out about by word of mouth, those are the ones that I like to find contact details for.

The 1:22.5 scale bug has really given me a good bite and thoroughly infected me, I believe this is going to be my preferred scale for some time, my challenge is that I am new to the scale and just learning about what is out there.

Thanks, David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Not really a great deal of progress but a start, the KW truck side with an Appletree Railway traction motor unit, hopefully the traction motor won't be as obvious once I've painted it black.
Just thought I'd trial fit things to make sure I have a chance of achieving the intended outcome before chopping things up; looks like my idea has a chance of working.

David

Attachments

• 20210326_194418.jpg
    20210326_194418.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 0

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Painting things black: one of the best tricks of our hobby.

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Not really a great deal of progress but a start, the KW truck side with an Appletree Railway traction motor unit, hopefully the traction motor won't be as obvious once I've painted it black.
Just thought I'd trial fit things to make sure I have a chance of achieving the intended outcome before chopping things up; looks like my idea has a chance of working.

David
That new truck makes the car look much better. Your wheels look a little small 30-33mm would be about 1;24 scale for a car of this vintage = and reduce the risk of the Apple Tree motor grounding on crossovers.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughts.
This is all an experiment just now, I suspect some slightly larger wheels may be fitted to the final arrangement, what I do need to find is some coil springs for the axle boxes, the vehicle may not be prototypically sprung but as the axle boxes are a seperate casting some springs would help to ensure all 4 wheels stay on the track at all times.

A little more progress today. AA batteries aren't as unobtrusive as I'd like so I have cut a slot in the floor under the bench seats to take 3 x AA batteries each side on the car, this recess will also allow me to hide the DPDTs better.
This is all completely new to me so the brain needs to learn to think in different ways to 0 gauge. Once I've done one and learnt some lessons number 2 should be a doddle ;-)

I've just picked up a cross bench Bachmann tram today, I suspect that will become a trailer.

Does anyone know where I can get a mouse with long legs to use as a horse :)

David

Attachments

• 20210328_120559.jpg
    20210328_120559.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Things haven't gone quiet on the project, just slowed down with my wife taking unwell and finding I need more bits I don't have as more bits get delivered.
The new power truck is taking a few more bits and a bit more thinking than I'd planned to get what I want.

David

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David,

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear about your wife, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I wish her the best.

finding I need more bits I don't have as more bits get delivered
That's so recognizable.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David,

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear about your wife, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I wish her the best.

That's so recognizable.
Jasper,

Thanks for the best wishes.

I don't quite know what to name what I am doing other than trying to pull together a selection of parts from different sources to be a new power truck that achieves what ever it is I am trying to achieve.
I have found some springs for the axle boxes which was a bit of progress, I don't think the spring will provide conventional 4 point suspension but it will keep all 4 wheels on the track.
Once I've done the first one the other models will seem mundane and I'll wonder what the fuffing about was for.

I've also ordered an alternation traction motor from Fosworks which looks a wee bit more compact.

Some how I seem to have gone from 2 models in January to 5 and potentially another 1 or 3 in my future from someone, so 1:22 scale it is for me :)

David

Attachments

• 20210407_101527.jpg
    20210407_101527.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 0

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag

David

That truck sideframe looks great! Where was it from? A new truck and running gear really improve the appearance and operation of those bachmann cars.

(edit) dw I found it! KW Trams That's awesome I had no idea this stuff was available.

Jasper,

Thanks for the best wishes.

I don't quite know what to name what I am doing other than trying to pull together a selection of parts from different sources to be a new power truck that achieves what ever it is I am trying to achieve.
I have found some springs for the axle boxes which was a bit of progress, I don't think the spring will provide conventional 4 point suspension but it will keep all 4 wheels on the track.
Once I've done the first one the other models will seem mundane and I'll wonder what the fuffing about was for.

I've also ordered an alternation traction motor from Fosworks which looks a wee bit more compact.

Some how I seem to have gone from 2 models in January to 5 and potentially another 1 or 3 in my future from someone, so 1:22 scale it is for me :)

David

I had the same problem, I ended up with a very simplified 3 point system that still seems to work well, where each truck sideframe supports the car body at one end, and at the other is attached to a cross beam that supports the car body in the middle.

IMG_7823small.jpg

I didn't know there was any commercial availability of tram parts in this scale at the time so this one is mostly scratch built using bachmann axle boxes.

IMG_7853small.jpg

Looking forward to my wee test track, initially, what wire do others use for the overhead contact and catenary wire, I haven't yet decided what system I'll use but suspect it'll be a combination of styles crossing between pre 1960's European and Manx, now there's a mix mash.

David

I use copper from old mains wiring. Works well and you can usually get it for free if you can find some offcuts where construction is going on.

Last edited:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't found a great deal available, truck side from KW, Appletree produce a traction motor which I have but I suspect I'll use the Fosworks traction motor under the Bachmann models.
Semmelbahn produce some kits which I have been warned are not cheap but they are nice, I haven't progressed beyond the first Bachmann model conversion yet so don't know.
Axle box springs I found on fleabay to give the model a form of springing.
As the axle boxes are removable I'll be finishing the new trucks as a solid unit bolted to the underside of the tram, between the new truck and tram I'll be using 5mm brass channel to simulate a steel underframe, above part of the brass channel will be a thin piece of plasticard to insulate between the brass channel and the batteries which are located under the bench seats.
DPDT and battery charging socket are fixed to the underside using some scrap nickel silver bent to a "T" and fixed with super glue and small screws, a wee bit of belt n braces.

That's about as far as I've got just now, I have thought about using a seperate on/off switch for the internal lights, but also thought about just leaving them connected to the main switch because this would tell me in the batteries are turned on or not.

I'd be interested Melbournesparks in hearing about details of your build, it's always nice to hear from fellow tram models and what they do.
Things are on hold just now until the Fosworks traction motor and some more bits arrive in the post.

David

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's about as far as I've got just now, I have thought about using a seperate on/off switch for the internal lights, but also thought about just leaving them connected to the main switch because this would tell me in the batteries are turned on or off
That's probably the standard procedure

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I'd be interested Melbournesparks in hearing about details of your build, it's always nice to hear from fellow tram models and what they do.
He has his own thread here, where he describes his tramway. Good read!

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Things are on hold just now until the Fosworks traction motor and some more bits arrive in the post

The Ballarat tram had a thread here a while back! Originally it just used the bachmann motor block before I built a proper 21E truck for it.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Finally back to some modelling, bad weather does have some benefits.
I'm not a fan of white metal rubbing on white metal so decided to fit new brass horn guides.20210503_201020.jpg
I lashed up, quite literally, a wee test tram to make sure what's in my head will work in practice and I have to say so far I am a happy modeller Truck on test, it's got a plastic vibration noise about it just now but that should hopefully disappear with springs fitted to the axle boxes and when the truck is properly fixed in place.

I'm happy with my bit of progress anyhow.

David

Last edited: