Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

Here is are some pictures of a model that I should finalize within a couple of months:

See http://www.tramania.net/albumModele9411/index.html

This tramcar was running in the region of Charleroi.

It is slightly different from traditional SNCV cars. The batch of 15 cars was ordered by TEPCE (urban trams of Charleroi), but the new cars ended up by the SNCV. A little bit narrower, short and with Brill trucks, they were used on short SNCV lines, rather than on the long distance ones. They appeared around 1911 and most were out of service by WW2.

- the metal Brill flanged were donated by an English fan. Unknow make
- the motor truck is made in brass with he help of my CNC mill
- Polish spur gears were used in order to allow "free wheeling"
- English wheels modified with 1/8 axles, in order to cope with standard spur gears
- Swiss Maxon motors (24 volts)
- Copper body cut with he help of my CNC mill + Hand made press
- French pear tree wood - laser cut
- German spring buffers
- German Preiser passengers
- Home made current collector
- 3D prints for the body controller, the ACEC brass top of the controller, the brake

Regards, Philippe
www.tramania.com

Reactions: 7 users

john

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harrogate, North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Philippe,

A lovely model and a very good build file. I particularly like the spur gear drive train which I believe will be more efficient than the worm gear drive on your Occre tram. I am trying not to get involved in tramcar building as I have a lot of other projects on the go, but when I see models like yours and the others posting on here I am very tempted.

Regards

John

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Another excellent build..
However, that bench is way too tidy! ;):envy:

mcbearuk

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
Dear all,

Here is are some pictures of a model that I should finalize within a couple of months:

See http://www.tramania.net/albumModele9411/index.html

This tramcar was running in the region of Charleroi.

It is slightly different from traditional SNCV cars. The batch of 15 cars was ordered by TEPCE (urban trams of Charleroi), but the new cars ended up by the SNCV. A little bit narrower, short and with Brill trucks, they were used on short SNCV lines, rather than on the long distance ones. They appeared around 1911 and most were out of service by WW2.

- the metal Brill flanged were donated by an English fan. Unknow make
- the motor truck is made in brass with he help of my CNC mill
- Polish spur gears were used in order to allow "free wheeling"
- English wheels modified with 1/8 axles, in order to cope with standard spur gears
- Swiss Maxon motors (24 volts)
- Copper body cut with he help of my CNC mill + Hand made press
- French pear tree wood - laser cut
- German spring buffers
- German Preiser passengers
- Home made current collector
- 3D prints for the body controller, the ACEC brass top of the controller, the brake

Regards, Philippe
www.tramania.com

mcbearuk

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
Phillipe, that is a beautiful model. I particularly like that elegant truck. Your work makes me feel guilty about many of the ham-fisted efforts I have made over the years ! Keep up the good work

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

Regarding the Brill 21E trucks, I have received 4 white metal side frames from an English G scale builder called Ken. I was told that these elements were produced to convert Bachmann trams. I have been unable to trace the maker. The wheel base is exactly 10 cm.

I have also made 3D prints of more detailed Brill 21E trucks, for another model. These have a longer wheel base, about 12 cm

Regards, Philippe

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
I had never heard of anyone making model trams out of copper sheet, until the June issue of the Australian Model Railway Magazine came out last week. A modeller in the unusual scale of 5/16th of an inch per foot (7.5375mm per 304.8mm, or 1:38.4) mentioned that he had made most of his "fleet" of Sudney trams out of copper sheet. I know it is much smaller than 1:22.5 scale, and is very close to 8mm scale, but his models are very cleanly modelled, and he used his unusual scale so he could put the motors/mechanisms under the floors of his model trams.

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew,

Regarding the choice of construction material:

In general, I want:

- To use materials similar to reality. Only metal and wood, no plastic as far as possible.

- Robust and long lasting construction

- Good detail level. I own detailed drawings (100+) of SNCV cars

- Cost similar or lower than LGB

This case (motor car A.9411), was my first scratch built experience since the 70's. (HOm)

- I have initially considered to build the body structure in wood and to cover the sides with thin metal sheet.
The body could have been 100% wood, but I had a copper sheet available and a cnc mill at disposal.
I could have used brass instead. It was also the opportunity to do some soft soldering.

- I wanted to add some weigh to the tramcar, so that no additional weight (lead ) is required.
This kind of tram should be able to pull a couple of trailers or wagons.

I am happy with the result, but with the same combination of materials, I might draw the pieces differently, in order to facilitate the assembly, like tin plate models. The mix of metal and wood is complex also need further design improvements.

Since this first trial, I have decided to produce my own kits in simpler and quicker ways.
Limited production was also considered. Easy for me or others.

Result 1: 2-axle passengers trailers.
I have designed 5 different bodies fitting the same truck. 4 kits are produced. 2 build (see other SNCV thread)
Production feasable in 2017.

Result 2 : motor car type North 1-14 - SNCV A.9169-A. 9182
I have built the body another type SNCV motor car in wood The power truck will be similar to SNCV A.9411.
This car might be lighter. In reality, they ran alone or with one light summer trailer.
Production feasable in 2018

Project 1: early SNCV steam engine.
It will be a combination of laser cut steel for the body, white metal of 3D print details.
Option 1: Piko motor bloc as wheelbase and volume seem to fit.
Option 2: Regner live steam
This one should be also heavy, with 4 or 5 trailers or wagons.

Project 2: kit to transform a Bachmann summer car to SNCV 9997-9999

Project 3: SNCV 2-axle wagons
To design 3-5 different bodies fitting the same truck

Project 4: SNCV 2-axle car type Manage.

Regards, Philippe

Reactions: 1 user