G scale Occre Barcelona tram - with improvements

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

Here is a serie of pictures of the construction of a Barcelona tram - tranvia blu - that is running to the Tibidabo hill.

The Occre kit has been improved with:
- two motors Mashima motors with flywheel
- body improvements with half round profiles to suggest the actual metal sheets
- working trolley pole and trolley wheel
- water decals with adverts (illustrates the year 1956)

See http://www.tramania.net/albumModeleBarcelone/index.html

Texts are in French, but pictures say a lot, isn't it ?

Regards, Philippe
www.tramania.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice..
Looks like a lot of work to get it as you wanted it?

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP,

I am not counting hours, but it is not huge. As this is made of pre-cut pieces of wood,i t is pretty straightforward for building the body.

I use high quality wood glue (high speed high resist, water resistant) as real woodworkers.

The motors required a little bit of soldering, but nothing complex.

So, I would qualiy the work at the level of an average hobbymaker

52601.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
Being able to house 2 under-floor motors in 1:24 scale is a real bonus. How does the tram run with the working trolley pole?

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew,

It runs well. I have used the largest Mashima motors #1833. This is 1.5 +1.5 = 3 Watt with a gear ratio of 1:40. This is the right speed for this scale, about 35 km/h. I have also used the same kind of motor for a 16mm scale Simplex engine.

Notes:
- For my other models, I have developed a "standard" design for power truck/motor sets. It can be used for bogies or trucks. See an example on my thread "G scale - Belgium - SNCV vicinal motor car"
- With this design, I use CNC cut frames, standard spacers, brass gears, roller bearings. I have made frames for 2.00m, 2.40m and 2.8m wheelbases so far. These wheelbases are the most common for Belgium trams, regardless of original maker.
- I have chosen Maxon motors of the A-Max type (see http://www.maxonmotor.com/maxon/view/catalog/)
- You can choose 3-6-9-12-15-18-24-30V versions.
- This site gives you detailed drawings and dimensions of all motors, specs, etc. Perfect for own designs.
- I have opted for 24V and use either 1929 (2,5 Watt) or 2232 (5 Watt) models. (19 or 22mm in diameter - 29 or 32mm in length)
- These are Swiss quality motors, they are running very smooth with 9 commutation poles (cheap chinese have usually 3) It allows smooth and slow starts and stops. Prices around 25 UKP (45-50 Swiss Franc)
- You can order straight from the factory, they have all in stock and tis is straightforward.

Regards, Philippe

Kayanbee

Registered
14 Sep 2014
Hampshire
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP,

I am not counting hours, but it is not huge. As this is made of pre-cut pieces of wood,i t is pretty straightforward for building the body.

I use high quality wood glue (high speed high resist, water resistant) as real woodworkers.

The motors required a little bit of soldering, but nothing complex.

So, I would qualiy the work at the level of an average hobbymaker

View attachment 223270
Hi Philippe,
I have built all the OcCre trams and I used USA Trains motor block or Hartland one that have a shorter wheelbase.
I have run them a many exhibitions with no problems. they are also fitted with LED headlights where possible and interior lighting too.
Keith

Hansr

Registered
11 Aug 2016
Ramsgate
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philippe,
I have built all the OcCre trams and I used USA Trains motor block or Hartland one that have a shorter wheelbase.
I have run them a many exhibitions with no problems. they are also fitted with LED headlights where possible and interior lighting too.
Keith
I have just built the Barcelona one, largely using the (strengthened) wooden truck and a 'Magic Carpet' motorised axle. I also fit lighting and headlights, and for this one I've made a sound module and DCC. The chassis unit is quite 'full'. I'm currently building LCC106 for which I'm using an LGB block, also converted to DCC, and I've also built the Soller one. Lisbon is next on the list.

Hansr

Registered
11 Aug 2016
Ramsgate
Best answers
Country flag
I have just built the Barcelona one, largely using the (strengthened) wooden truck and a 'Magic Carpet' motorised axle. I also fit lighting and headlights, and for this one I've made a sound module and DCC. The chassis unit is quite 'full'. I'm currently building LCC106 for which I'm using an LGB block, also converted to DCC, and I've also built the Soller one. Lisbon is next on the list.
IMG_5782.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Hansr

Registered
11 Aug 2016
Ramsgate
Best answers
Country flag
Very neat installation.
Thanks very much. I use a Chinese stablised PSU with a sound module that takes a micro-SD card for the sound. Works well. Just wish I could still get Magic Carpets as my stock is all but used up now, hence the LGB block on my LCC D/D.

Hansr

Registered
11 Aug 2016
Ramsgate
Best answers
Country flag
Tibidabo 5.JPG

This is the finished model

Reactions: 3 users