front lights on a Piko 218 loco

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

hoperfully somebody can advise me on how the lighting wires go into a massoth XLS decoder please.

there are 2 wires each end normally joined with the power wires in analogue which puts the light on all the time,

As ive now fitted the XLS decoder does anybody know where these wires now go ? do they just go into the light front and rear ?

cheers

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I can give you some general information, but am not familiar with the Piko loco's:

Your decoder should have an 'front' and 'rear' light output. These will automatically switch on, dependent on direction of travel.
All function outputs switch to ground (negative) so the other side of your lights will connect to 'decoder +'.
BY DEFAULT, THE LIGHTING OUTPUTS WILL BE FULL TRACK VOLTAGE - 24 Volts!

You will need to discover (wait until someone tells you, on here!) what voltage the bulbs(?) require.
If they are LED's you will need a suitable series resistor, to limit the current.

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere on this site there is a good description of how to connect the lights, it's posted, with a picture, by 'Stockers' I think, if you search the site for DB218 you should find it, I know I have the picture somewhere but am unable to locate it at the moment, on my iPad, if I find it, I'll post it later
Cheers
Dave

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth used to do a lighting board for the 218 which added Red LED tail lamps. I have attached the old instruction manual for that set which shows how to wire the lighting to an XLS.

Attachments

• 8129001_v100_1007_ml.pdf
    390.1 KB · Views: 0

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, many thanks for the replies, will see how i get on, cheers

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, well ive done something wrong as the lights do work, tried to wire up as stated but nothing at all,

could it be a problem with still trying to use the piko lights ?, im not worried about tail/rear lights just the front ones in direction of travel,

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Did you work out if the original's are bulbs or LED's?
If LED's, are you driving them with the correct polarity?
You DID use current limiting resistors, I presume?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Always difficult to give a precise recipe when the fundamentals are not understood.

I would suggest the OP posting pictures showing what wires are hooked to what.

The alternative is learning how electrical circuits work, polarity of leds and current limiting diodes, and that "common" on a decoder for lighting is positive not negative.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I seam to remember when I did my 218 back in Mad days that I did all new Lamps using LED’s powering them using the correct voltage direct from the Chip. I also incorporated blocking Diodes just to be safe with the LED’s. This was all posted on Mad but sadly possibly lost in the change of site.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
cheers gents I will start looking into it all, many thanks your help.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Many thanks for all your help ive got them working fully now :) Thankyou for all your ideas with what to do.

Just need to change a bulb now as one had blown.

Thankyou