dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You know what it is like, you have parked that Train in the Siding and not been to careful about how you parked it. You then go along and run another Train past the one in the Siding. CRUNCH! You have hit the parked Train and done a bit of damage to boot. The first Picture shows the scenario all too well, there is even a hint of The Damage Caused, look carefully and you can see that the Black Diesel has lost one of it`s Handrails. There it is on the Track.

image.jpg

What to do, well the prototype has the answer with Fouling Point Indicators. There was an Article about building just such things in Depesche No. 131 Page 30. These things come in all shapes and sizes from just a simple piece of Wood in the Ground to quite ornate things with a rounded top and painting that would be almost impossible to do in even our Scale. So a chance to gather ones collective individuality and make them out of whatever.

I am pretty sure that Paul RHB has them on his layout, he will have included them because he had seen them on the real HSB. What I like about these things is that they are a small but interesting Scenic Embellishment, but do serve a real purpose for us.

My choice in these things is to use Rail. It can get rid of all those silly bits of Rail that we are so reluctant to throw away, and also use up offcuts of other metal.

So down to business, I have attacked Harzegrode on my line first. This uses LGB and Train Line Track so I used offcuts of LGB Rail. The length was defined to be just below Track Level, this way you are not going to keep bashing them when using the LGB Track Rubber. I cut 6 lengths of Rail and 6 squares form offcuts that came from my Rollwagen Project. These were soldered together and Rattle Canned Undercoat Grey as shown in the next 3 pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Whan that had dried they were than Rattle Canned all White and the Webb + Head of the Rail Picked out in Signal Red as shown in the next picture.

image.jpg

Finally they were put in place where the accident happened just to show the effect, I will be making ones for here with Peco Rail next. You can see on the second picture the minimum clearance that has been allowed in this example. In reality I think that we should allow somewhat more clearance. Say another two or three sleepers than I have shown here.

image.jpg

[attachimg=9]

Finally I show what I have been using up to now, yes Map Pins in a Small Hole in the Sleeper. These are better than nothing and have kept the line safe ever since I have been running Trains on the new line. In fact I used tham on my Line in Hemel too.

image.jpg

I will also fit something similar in the Fiddle Yard.

Sorry messed up a bit with the pics, the last small one shows the Map Pin.

JonD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 55

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
??? very nice, i use them, i used the ends of cocktail sticks, the ball end.. painted similaierly.. helps when lining up in th station ???

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
As a rule I make sure that any train is clear of the curved road of any point on a passing loop, i.e. where the 'six foot' is at its maximum. (For R1/R2 this is 165 mm, but for R3 and above it's 185 mm.)

I don't stable any stock where tracks start to converge.

Is part of your problem due to the cut down R3 points that you have used Jon....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It is not normally a problem for me, it is usually Guests that get it wrong. Particularly when they are not use to Operating larger scales. The point that you see in this thread is a Bog Standard Peco. I have also done these as they are a Scenic Necessity. It is just that they gio done first as they are a simple nice to do project.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
When I first saw the thread title, I thought of those people who stick little flags in doggy doo-doo!!
:eek: ;) :D

They are a nice touch, though.. AND, even simple enough for me to fabricate.
:D

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Phillip, one of my reasons for posting this was to give encouragement and a simple project to those that think Building is beyond them. It is not beyond anyone, the hardest part is starting.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have been doing a bit more work on these. In truth the ones that I posted about in January were I think a bit large. So I have done a bit more work and started on the first 3 for the great outdoors. These have been based more upon the ones that I have seen on the Harz Lines, particularly the line from Quedlinburg. These appear to be a Tin Pot dumped on top of some pipe banged i to the ground. Suitably crude to appeal to my Modelling Expertise!

One can be seen about Middle of the first picture, the second is a brutal close up of one to show what they look like.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I decided that Square HIPS could be bodgelled into a likeness of these. So I cut some 5mm HIPS as dead Square as I could, mounted it in the Lathe and used to file to make a Curved End. Then I used a Razor Saw to cut it off at just below Peco Rail Height (around 10mm high). Then I cut some Scrap Brass, drilled 3 holes and also one in the HIPS modified part. A pin secured the Brass to the HIPS and it is ready for Painting. I only Painted the Red, leaving the rest White. But I have dirtied the part that is still square below the pot somewhat in the hope of making it disappear a bit. When mounted in ballast they look quite acceptable.

First few pics are of construction, then in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The last picture shows how unobtrusive they are, but so useful when running Trains. Once operators are shown them, they know what to look for and side swipes appear to be a thing of the past.

image.jpg

Edit just in case you cannot make it out in the last picture, it is bottom Left just in front of the grey timber after the Green.

JonD

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Note in the prototype pic the 10 mm bolt with the regulation double counter nuts holding this vital piece of equipment in place. We Germans may not have invented bureaucracy, but we sure took it to the height of refinement. :-X

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It looks a little like a painted-up old oil-filter! ;) :D

I quite like the bigger version.. it is easier to spot from a distance.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Beddhist said:
Note in the prototype pic the 10 mm bolt with the regulation double counter nuts holding this vital piece of equipment in place. We Germans may not have invented bureaucracy, but we sure took it to the height of refinement. :-X

And the rust ?
You really need to get out and run some trains, mate.

I'm going to make some of the Mk.1 version. I like the scale ones but I prefer the rail ones. Anyway I can't cope with the double counter locked 14BA nuts :eek:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Might need to be 16ba if there is such a thing. Glad these have caused some interest and maybe even some clones out there.
JonD

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Should these not have lights for night time operation? ;)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
Should these not have lights for night time operation? ;)

Well you could if you want. But the Prototypes do not, well at least the ones that I have seen.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
[quote author=Beddhist link=topic=298000.msg318110#msg318110 date=1402391246]
Note in the prototype pic the 10 mm bolt with the regulation double counter nuts holding this vital piece of equipment in place. We Germans may not have invented bureaucracy, but we sure took it to the height of refinement.  :-X
[/quote]

I still have not got around to fitting the regulation nuts and bolts. But I have been busy with some more and have now got them in place all over the layout. Some are still the Larger Ones, having made them I will keep them in place. But I do prefer the smaller ones. Latest Pic shows the Batch Production of the last lot.

image.jpg

Having made them, I find that I could have bought some. But they are so simple that I doubt that I would bother to buy. However there are also Austrian ones available here, so might be of interest to some of you out there:-

http://www.rs-modelle.de/signale.htm

They do some other nice bits and bobs. I got a superb East German Dustbin and some Tail Boards from them some time back that will be sorted and in use very soon.

JonD

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:eek: Wearing me elfen safety hat..... trip hazard !

In real life, on our national network, we use an old sleeper, painted white, laid at 90° to the track (as all good sleepers should do), and ballasted up to flush with the top of the sleeper. No trip hazard, and, easy to see. :)

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I like these, a very practical project..... When I get a 3D printer I'll flood the market....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Gavin,
To the best of my knowledge there are no such animals in the UK. White Sleeper does sound a good idea (presumably NZ). In Germany some lines even revert to just a painted Boulder. Whatever, they do stop side swipes so are well worth installing on the layout, whatever your chosen line uses. Slip hazard or not. After all our little peeps do not tend to wander the line that much.
JonD