Formula for working out drag on curves

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
For those not in the know. Al Kramer who is eBay seller 'ana.kramer' used to own San Val and still sells the wheels in ball bearing and plain versions.

Items for sale by ana.kramer | eBay

I wonder if they can be had for a Reasonable price from the USA......
The ball bearing versions are a very good product. The only other ball bearing wheels I am aware of are the LGB electrical pick ones and a similar type that FGB Berlin do - both are sold in pairs but you are looking at £40 a pair plus postage.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The Al/Ana Kramer / San Val are a good value, but the bearing insert is very visible and some do not like it.

The Train Line 45 are all stainless and look great, but a bit more money.

Greg

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Here we go. Not cheap. Dunno how much her majesty’s highway robbers would add to the price.
Ana.kramer......

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
The Al/Ana Kramer / San Val are a good value, but the bearing insert is very visible and some do not like it.

The Train Line 45 are all stainless and look great, but a bit more money.

Greg

just spray the whole assembly in mat black.
dunno why they do them in chrome - unrealistic.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Regarding Independent Ball Bearing Wheels;
FWIW; Custom Model Products (CMP) brass coaches came equipped with ball bearing wheels.

I think CMP who no longer exist commissioned Accucraft to make their custom offerings.

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I use Al Kramer wheels without the bearings, they work well I oil axle boxes before use, they roll freely and add some weight to the trains. They also make longer trains harder to stop, just like the real thing. Excellent behind my live steamers. Means you have to drive them. Also wheels seem to always be in gauge and roll true unlike some of the other steel wheels I have tried. Price is not to bad

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice, but the thread is about reducing rolling resistance (see first post), and no matter how nice, no plain bearing will approach the resistance of a ball bearing... we apparently cannot use needle-tip axles like the smaller scales.

I likewise use ordinary wheels on most rolling stock, but 80 foot passenger cars on steep grades need help unless I double head all consists. Also in my case, the lighted cars have high friction brushes on the backs of the wheels, further compounding the issues.

Greg