First pics of PIKO Harz kamel

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
so if the Rotcamels are going to be around 222-250 then you could have about 7 or 8 for the price of a 2-10-2, maybe we are going to see layouts where the wall never came down and diesel did replace steam . . . . :thinking:

Duncan the Piko bogie box wagons are huge if you put G64 wheels on those to make them into a 4 wheel wagon for a transporter.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
The F40 was already done tho about 20 years ago, and cheap to pick up when they show up, but then dupliation has happend before.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
The Piko Harz Kamel is given as over buffers and an earlier post says that the height will be . This would give a scale of between and .
A true model (according to prototype drawings) would have to be mm over buffers and mm in height. So it will be around mm (just over inch) too short and around mm (just over inch) too squat.

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
thanx mate for showing the prototype model images! i wouldn't have been able to find these on my own! PIKO has made unprecedented strides in G scale with the introduction of their line of German locomotives. All the models--the Br 218, the Kamel, the DB shunters and the Taurus are much loved, much desired entrees to fill a massive gap in German motive power for the G scale fans.

The BR 218 for me, especially, is a dream come true. I find this one loco makes an enormous contribution to the hobby for us "Alpine addicts". The 218 runs nicely alongside the standard LGB line-up because of its place in the annals of DB rail history. It is the perfect "new old" motive power that won't make visitors laugh with irony if they see it next to a DRG steamer. This holds true for the DB shunters PIKO has come out with as well. The 1960s all over again! Hurrah!

But what should really come out from the German makers--I look forward to more DB mainline stock from Lehmann/Marklin--is a nice plethora of 1960s standard rail boxcars...the classic sign of progress for West Germany. Just think: could you ever imagine on your LGB layout a string of doppelstock wagons? (did i spell that right?) what could be more cooler than hauling BMWs and "People cars" double decker across your living room carpet? Even if PIKO beats Marklin to the punch on this, Wolfgang Richter would still not be able to hold back a grin of satisfaction.

Regards,

Tom M.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
garrymartin said:
Hi Everyone,
I have always considered myself something of a diesel fan , but is this the ugliest locomotive ever built ? I don't like it , & will obviously not be buying one YUK !
( It makes the rolling stock look bad too )

Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder.

Me, I think it is totally beautifull. Can't wait to get a couple running on the CFR. We have no need to worry about clearences.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
vasim said:
The Piko Harz Kamel is given as 543mm over buffers and an earlier post says that the height will be 178mm. This would give a scale of between 1:24 and 1:25.
A true 1:22.5 model (according to prototype drawings) would have to be 602.5mm over buffers and 193.5mm in height. So it will be around 60mm (just over 2¼ inch) too short and around 16mm (just over ½ inch) too squat.
Should look okay though given that the LGB Harz coaches are too short anyway, and the slight squeezing of dimensions is probably to take that into consideration.
The standard gauge version will obviously use the same body, but this should sit a bit lower on its bogies (as per the prototype).

I was quite exited when the first rumors of this beastie came out. Then I thought about it and some of my thoughts have been said earlier in this forum. However now that we have the height quoted that eureka moment has come. My initial thoughts were that the beastie would not fit one of the very tight spots on my line. Just been out with the tape measure and it SHOULD fit OK. I now look forward to it being available with great relish.

JonD

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
When they were designing the original full size loco, do you think they borrowed LGB's 'rubber ruler'? The driver probably ducked when approaching bridges for the first few times. I've never seen such a huge European loco, although I'm oddly attracted to it's looks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
When they were designing the original full size loco, do you think they borrowed LGB's 'rubber ruler'? The driver probably ducked when approaching bridges for the first few times. I've never seen such a huge European loco, although I'm oddly attracted to it's looks.

They were not designed for the narrow gauge as such. The plan was to replace steam on the Harz lines. To do this some wag came up with a cunning plan to put 6 wheel metre gauge Bogies onto a Standard gauge Bo Bo and use it on the Harz. Thus the top heavy look. It is also to be remembered that the Harz used NG Transporter Wagons to get SG Wagons to varying points of the line. I have some video of SG Vans doing just this in Wernigrode.
JonD

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I like a lot.... anyone got a date for release...?
As I run out of scale combos all the time (not really understood it all at first and now i run what i have for now and enjoy!) there will be a certain enjoyment from running inscale kind of out of scale... and seeing you chaps running properly in scale rolling stock behind looking out of scale...i guess this is cos it really is standard gauge converted for narrow.

I can see all the indoor modellers of UK stuff pointing out knowledgebly you have got the wrong coaches behind it :D

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
New pictures of the BR199 harzkamel and the BR204:

EDIT: adding pictures doesn't seem to work atm, will try again later.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Finally got the pictures working...

kamel.jpg

kameljpg2.jpg

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Delivery dates:

BR199: October 2010
BR204: few weeks later

Both locos are still prototypes, but very close to the production model.

Source (pictures): spassbahnforum.de

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good, roll on October.....hope Massoth are not far behind with a sound decoder.....

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
... and a new picture from Piko's website showing the HSB version:

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
We were there last year and it was working in the yard with main line stock on transporters. I did have one in N guage 30 years ago but have never seen any in Gscale Les