First pics of PIKO Harz kamel

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks tight Keith. I also may have to go for a pre-order on this one.
Piko website says it will do 600mm radius (R1)

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Wonder what it will look like without the top of the cab. Alot of people only allow clearances of the coach roofs. And ugly yes!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i see that it is based on its prototype-and its huge

and its huge 

its a bit off-putting to me

sort of out of scale (although i understan its really isnt)

i look at the pics of the V51 side by side and its most disconcerting, as the V51 seems so well suited and proportioned to the 3073 coaches

i guess im just uncomfortable to something EVEN BIGGER 
reminds me almost of those characatures of engines several stories tall that appeared in older cartoons-like the jawahs sand crawler in Star Wars

otoh......in hand it may be really cool-does it have lights and smoke and sound-or is PIKO too economy minded for those sort of things?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stevedenver said:
(snip)
otoh......in hand it may be really cool-does it have lights and smoke and sound-or is PIKO too economy minded for those sort of things?

Thus far Piko locos have all come with directional lighting as standard, but anything else is an add-on. Keeps the prices low!

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
hmmmmm ,,,, athstetically it looks horrible,,,

if i owned one i would have to club it to death with a very large hammer,,,

and bury it under the patio,,

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Even the prototype looks out of scale8|

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
But then, remember the HSB had a larger loading gauge than the "normalspur" DR....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Thus far Piko locos have all come with directional lighting as standard, but anything else is an add-on. Keeps the prices low!
Over here the german car makers do the same, bog standard is cheap but very basic, then comes the option list. A big option list. A big expensive option list.
Actually I think Piko are right, for instance I don't want sound, smoke and digiti-do-das and probably wouldn't buy the model if it only came supplied with them.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
pugwash said:
whatlep said:
(snip)
Actually I think Piko are right, for instance I don't want sound, smoke and digiti-do-das and probably wouldn't buy the model if it only came supplied with them.

Me too! Give the basics and I'll fit what suits me. Back to that old business acronym KISS: keep it simple, stupid! :cool:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
By the way, does anyone know what the green circle is highlighting in the 3rd photo DRB posted at the beginning?

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
pugwash said:
By the way, does anyone know what the green circle is highlighting in the 3rd photo DRB posted at the beginning?

Nothing, someone at an other forum did that to indicate the narrow gauge buffers.. ;)

I pre-ordered it already at Grootspoor.com, €269! Can't wait till it's delivered.. :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver said:
i see that it is based on its prototype-and its huge

and its huge

its a bit off-putting to me

sort of out of scale (although i understan its really isnt)

i look at the pics of the V51 side by side and its most disconcerting, as the V51 seems so well suited and proportioned to the 3073 coaches

i guess im just uncomfortable to something EVEN BIGGER
reminds me almost of those characatures of engines several stories tall that appeared in older cartoons-like the jawahs sand crawler in Star Wars

I am not sure that this has been fully comprehended, but these were STANDARD GAUGE locs made to run on Metre Gauge in the bad old days of the East. The fact that they were able to run on a fair bit of the HSB (DR), was due to the Loading Gauge that allowed Standard gauge Wagons to be transported on RollBlocks.

Sorry I do not mean to insult, just to inform. I do realise that not everyone has intimate knowledge of the old days in the former DR.
JonD

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
iknew that!

its still huge

but would be better with wonderful sound and billowing stacks to take my mind of the fact that is so HJUGE (swedish spelling) 

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Some good news :clap: . E-Mailed Piko just before the Easter hols asking them for the height of their Harz Kamel and whether it goes through the LGB bridge and got an e:mail this morning from a Mr. Boergers of Piko advising that the loco will be approximately 178mm high and will go through the LGB bridge:).

Just measured up one of my LGB HSB coaches - it's approximately 160mm. Think I'm a happy bunny:clap:

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
are the real loco's on the hsb co-co, or bo-bo whell types?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Standard gauge are Bo-bo, the narrow gauge (Harz) ones are Co-Co.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Chatting to Andy from Kent Garden Rail at G Rail (WE WAS THERE) and he says if nothing changes (exchange rates, Pikos price etc) he should be able to do these at £222.
Thats a lot of loco for that sort of cash.:D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stockers said:
Chatting to Andy from Kent Garden Rail at G Rail (WE WAS THERE) and he says if nothing changes (exchange rates, Pikos price etc) he should be able to do these at £222.
Thats a lot of loco for that sort of cash.:D

Oh no! Another affordable loco from Piko. There may be trouble (with 'er indoors) ahead..... :party:

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
as a side line to the loco, it would be great to see some transporter wagons produced, some empty, and some with standard gauge wagons on top.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
duncan1_9_8_4 said:
as a side line to the loco, it would be great to see some transporter wagons produced, some empty, and some with standard gauge wagons on top.
Duncan,

Agree with you completely - think some kits are available in Germany but something ready-to-run as you suggested would be great:clap: