Finally starting my layout

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Well here we go. Second phase of the railroad begins. 5 yards of fill dirt delivered and more rocks purchased. First I had to tackle a huge stump. I was able to cut it down another 8 inches. I really like the flat stones I found for my retaining wall. Busy today. Need to get alot done.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_20180501_075533232.jpg IMG_20180501_075533232.jpg IMG_20180501_105301987.jpg IMG_20180501_105301987.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Got a bit done yesterday. Alot of dirt moved. And a tunnel constructed. I need more rocks and plants but I will have to wait until next week as my real job keeps getting in the way of my play time. Did a test run of my Shay. Just a short video . The siding in the middle of the mountain top will be where the log cars pickup the logs from the forest. I have somewhat of a plan. Was a little worried about using wood for the tunnel but it is made from pressure treated 4×4 with heavy tiles on top. It was free and should last for years before it rots through.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Jack, glade to see you are on the road to a great layout, I only wish my back would get better so I can get restarted. Really liked the clump of bamboo, quite different. Have to agree with others "wood rots" we are both in very similar weather conditions so my advise is use plastics when possible, included are some pictures. If I ever get my layout started again it will be in a small area such as yours and I have come up with a crossing that allows you to run 2 trains at the same time and not be connected or run one on both loops without having to monitor it just one initial switch throwing and after that it's beer time also sending picture. The support timbers for my water tower are made from PVC lumber I bought at Lowes, and it can be glued with PCV cement, had to rip it but you also have to rip wood, gave it texture by scraping it with a saw blade. Keep us posted, Bill... If selling some stuff you might want to go to face book and look up G scale swap and shop. free site where you can list stuff in G scale for sale and doesn't cost any thing, seems to be working out
ab6187e857bb6bfbad2eb35cb11c9d99.jpg
896f5df34ce3fdbefa8985db66fe335e.jpg
2c391c9ca1ff93aa5abae8cab621a498.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Wow.very nice work. Thanks for sharing. I will look up the facebook page thanks. Hope your back gets better. Looking forward to seeing more pictures from you.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Jack, glade to see you are on the road to a great layout, I only wish my back would get better so I can get restarted. Really liked the clump of bamboo, quite different. Have to agree with others "wood rots" we are both in very similar weather conditions so my advise is use plastics when possible, included are some pictures. If I ever get my layout started again it will be in a small area such as yours and I have come up with a crossing that allows you to run 2 trains at the same time and not be connected or run one on both loops without having to monitor it just one initial switch throwing and after that it's beer time also sending picture. The support timbers for my water tower are made from PVC lumber I bought at Lowes, and it can be glued with PCV cement, had to rip it but you also have to rip wood, gave it texture by scraping it with a saw blade. Keep us posted, Bill... If selling some stuff you might want to go to face book and look up G scale swap and shop. free site where you can list stuff in G scale for sale and doesn't cost any thing, seems to be working out
ab6187e857bb6bfbad2eb35cb11c9d99.jpg
896f5df34ce3fdbefa8985db66fe335e.jpg
2c391c9ca1ff93aa5abae8cab621a498.jpg
I'm going to look for the PVC lumber. Love that idea. Thanks.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Working on the railroad. Got more stones yesterday and have been continuing to work on the retaining wall for the raised section of track . Also started placing some stones at one end of the tunnel. Mixing concrete in a small bucket is alot of work. But I'm still having fun.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Got a bit done yesterday. Alot of dirt moved. And a tunnel constructed. I need more rocks and plants but I will have to wait until next week as my real job keeps getting in the way of my play time. Did a test run of my Shay. Just a short video . The siding in the middle of the mountain top will be where the log cars pickup the logs from the forest. I have somewhat of a plan. Was a little worried about using wood for the tunnel but it is made from pressure treated 4×4 with heavy tiles on top. It was free and should last for years before it rots through.
Nice vid, great to see a Shay trundling round at Logging Road Speed. Lots still to do but you are in the way and things will definately get better as you beaver away in the time you can find.

Reactions: 1 user

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Having some trouble uploading pictures. But it let me post these 2

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
IMG_20180528_000324.jpg IMG_20180528_001258.jpg IMG_20180528_001656.jpg Started building another retaining wall now for the concrete to set then I can add the rocks and dirt.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Well here we go. Second phase of the railroad begins. 5 yards of fill dirt delivered and more rocks purchased. First I had to tackle a huge stump. I was able to cut it down another 8 inches. I really like the flat stones I found for my retaining wall. Busy today. Need to get alot done.
Getting very jealous, got a layout planned but back still keeping me out of the yard. If I can ever get it built it will have 2 loops 1 being a figure 8 and the other just an oval. Will be able to run 2 trains at the same time without a collision, and if desired run both loops with 1 train and not have to do any switching while running, like beer time, also reversing loops for both loops. Original layout I did didn't have any plans kind of like you're doing and it worked out great, think it was better than having a plan, kind of like how the real railroads were built. Well until I can get to the yard, I'll just keep building buildings, cars and engines. By the time I get a layout done I should have an train empire and a metropolis, keep sharing it is looking good, Bill

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Getting very jealous, got a layout planned but back still keeping me out of the yard. If I can ever get it built it will have 2 loops 1 being a figure 8 and the other just an oval. Will be able to run 2 trains at the same time without a collision, and if desired run both loops with 1 train and not have to do any switching while running, like beer time, also reversing loops for both loops. Original layout I did didn't have any plans kind of like you're doing and it worked out great, think it was better than having a plan, kind of like how the real railroads were built. Well until I can get to the yard, I'll just keep building buildings, cars and engines. By the time I get a layout done I should have an train empire and a metropolis, keep sharing it is looking good, Bill
Hoping your back stops acting up. I want to see this layout..

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, can you explain how you put this together? Thanks!
John, its is 2 right hand 1600 and 2 left hand switches with a 30degree crossover put in the middle, little extra curved and straight track. Also not shown I have pieces that hook to the outer ends that makes it almost like a parallel tracks. could have done it with straight sections of the switches being parallel but then when train went from 1 loop to another it would have to traverse "S" curves. Bill PS if you need any further help let me know, BB
37140a01ee0b1d64911ede15051f0078.jpg

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Well I was able to get some railroad time. Backfilled the next retaining wall and added another siding. Starting to come together. Also got two bridges installed.IMG_20180609_084037967_HDR.jpg IMG_20180609_084053711.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_084105362_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180609_084105362_HDR.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 0

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Looking pretty good, a lot done considering all the rain we've had. When you get a chance Google "afro Jew" it's a lot like "wandering Jew" except much smaller leaves. Spreads like crazy will grow on anything. If you have a place that you don't want it, just grab a handful and throw it down where you do want it. Grows with little care, it will turn one of your "mole hills" into a mountain over night. Also if you put old news paper between the rocks and dirt it will keep from loosing dirt through the cracks, last for ages and easy to hide, Love the pictures. I finished the saw mill and now am trying to get my prairie (2-6-2) back together and hide open spots in the base of the cab. Got a LGB Spreewalt from wife of deceased fellow garden railroader as a gift. so nice, ordered a kalamazoo tender shell on line for $5.00 and soon think I might start on my "mason bogie" still trying to hunt down 6 wheel trucks that aren't too long, got a pair of aristo heavy weight ones but they are pretty long. If you get a chance check out Allen's web site, they work he does is crazy good. (http://www.thegalline.com/) he has a 120 ton crane that he designed and built ( does cad work for 3d printers) supper nice guy, talked to him the other day for over an hour. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Bill will do. Sounds great. I will check out the link as well. Looking forward to more pictures from you also.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
This morning I added another short siding . Can't wait to get more trees installed.IMG_20180613_124427115.jpg IMG_20180613_124418059.jpg