14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My elevated layout under construction.

it has 2 levels to reduce the base board width and to provide some visual interest the width is 630mm (25") with a width of 1Metre at the trestle area.
I am planting bushes under the layout that will be allowed to grow high (they grow at least to the height of the fence) to give some "garden' for the train to run through.

An example of some big trestle bridges

Last edited:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Greg mentioned levels. You might be surprised that what initially seems like a level site does have a slope. I would suggest working out those slopes by driving a peg in the ground and gradually working round the site with more pegs and a spirit level. It might end up being ground level for a small section (easy access) and elevated elsewhere.

Paul
With a spirit level you can make quickly mistakes, i would advice to rent a laser, especially for distances longer than 10 meters.
And while your busy with those pegs, start in each corner and tension a string between the most outer pegs, drive at every two meters a peg into the ground next to that string, you will end up with a very level and very strait railway.
Like Greg said: go with a bridge that you can take out or with a hinge.
Best

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
With a spirit level you can make quickly mistakes, i would advice to rent a laser, especially for distances longer than 10 meters.

You can certainly make mistakes but using a 6' spirit level like I did in my own garden and checking via different routes of pegs not just in a straight line any mistake would not cause a problem. The idea of a string between the outer posts to check those in between is an excellent idea which I also thought of but after I had finished! Fortunately my layout doesn't appear to have any untoward hills or bumps and on the longest side is about 15 metres in length.

Paul

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
With a 6 foot spirit level you can do 15 meters, a mistake of half an inch is forgiving on that length.
But the garden of DGE looks a bit bigger, i think the longest straight track will be ~120 yards(~40 meters)?
So even if you would start in the center and go your way to each middle to work to the corners, for me would that be to tricky.
And i have some good and long levelers
I am also not used to do that kind of distances with a leveler(working in the construction), when it is longer than ten meters we always get a laser.
Also to save time of course.
And dont forget to turn around the leveler after every point you made or make sure that it is a really level leveler

38thfoot

Grand dreams; limited talent
19 Nov 2013
Hazel Grove, S Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Is there a prototypical reason to have double track as I’m personally a fan of the meandering single line that I associate with MOST narrow gauge?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is there a prototypical reason to have double track as I’m personally a fan of the meandering single line that I associate with MOST narrow gauge?

No reason other than heavy traffic, single line is a well used system still (even on some main lines) so if that is what you like go for it.