ESU sound decoders

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Evening guys,

I'm just about to purchase 2 decoders for fitting to LGB models. Loco's both have 2 motors(swiss electrics). I thought I'd need an esu xl version 4, but some suppliers are listing a 3.5. Whats the difference apart from age? is the v4 better?
i'm intending to use the ESU's on MTS3 and buy a lokprogrammer for uploading/moding the chips via my laptop.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I use ESU decoders all of the time, I think (personal opinion here) they're the best decoders about. I have the 3.5 fitted to my Shay, the sound quality is great. Don't know anything about Version 4 so can't say.

But one word of warning, unless you are using a Massoth Navigator, you won't get the best out of the functions, as the MTS handset will only work the sounds up to F8.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the response. Oh ok, didn't know that about the mts... If I get a massoth handset and link it to the mts in the future, would i then get full functions or would I need a massoth central station as well? Saying that, 8 sounds is still quite a bit.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll find that you can access all sounds with the Massoth Navigator. The MTS handset will work fine, it's just a few sounds that you won't be able to access
But I stand to be corrected about the Navigator.
But, as I said, they are superb decoders, again personally I think the sound is far better than the Massoth. I suppose that some will disagree, it just my own personal opinion.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
MTS3 to use the Massoth Navigator. I think you are correct Steve.